Why are iphones so controversial??

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Go read about Glock firearms and you’ll be surprised at the similarities. Much like iPhones, Glocks are hated just for being Glocks. They “aren’t innovative enough” and they “don’t introduce enough new features when a new model comes out.” Oh, and if you like a Glock you are a sheep just like iPhone users. The thing is, though, they just work. And they work as well or better than everything else out there and are generally the measuring stick by which the competition is compared. The parallels are undeniable.

Great analogy! I'm a proud Glock owner have 2 and want a 3rd

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
If you like apple products.. buy apple... If you like Android products.. buy android. Why does there have to be a fight over which is better... Buy the device that works for you...

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
You may be onto something here. After reading your reply, I started thinking of all of the people I personally know who use an iPhone and how many of them make bold references to the fact that they use or prefer an iPhone. The answer is zero. For the most part, I don’t think we really care what device someone else uses - I know I don’t....

Whereas ive seen the opposite, work with a few people who assume Android users just can't afford an iPhone, which is an opinion I've also seen made on lots of forums and comments sections. No, not all do that, but enough do that it happens.

For the most part, I don't have any friends or families who care one bit about what phone you have. Although when I had a note there was curiousity about it. I'm generally on an iPhone these days, but there are jerks on both sides, and in general most well adjusted people could care less what you are using.

I think when you have fan sites like BGR that post awful one sided tripe, it stirs people up into their respective camps.

Is the iPhone x or apple controversial? No more than any other. Agree with above posters that due to the amount of coverage apple gets, it may cause some backlash, but the only thing I ever hear about apple recently is the high price of the x. There will always be those who hate apple, just like there are those smug people on this side who look down on others for not having an apple...either way what does it matter?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Whereas ive seen the opposite, work with a few people who assume Android users just can't afford an iPhone, which is an opinion I've also seen made on lots of forums and comments sections.
I used to see stuff like that a few years back, but not so much anymore. Carrier contracts, I believe, took away that notion for the most part. ...

For the most part, I don't have any friends or families who care one bit about what phone you have.
Same here, but then again, the majority use an iPhone. ...

I think when you have fan sites like BGR that post awful one sided tripe, it stirs people up into their respective camps.
I suppose, but I can’t say with certainty.

Is the iPhone x or apple controversial? No more than any other. Agree with above posters that due to the amount of coverage apple gets, it may cause some backlash, but the only thing I ever hear about apple recently is the high price of the x. There will always be those who hate apple, just like there are those smug people on this side who look down on others for not having an apple...either way what does it matter?
No doubt...

WolfBanner87

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Why is there always such controversy around Iphones? The Iphone X especially seems to be coming under huge criticism with people taking shots at it from all angles! I can understand its expensive and maybe not worth the money for alot of people but theres ALOT of people that never even held one and they hate it lol This seems to be the case with every single iphone release and even more so with the X it seems!

When an android phone is released you rarely see it gain such attention. People for the most part are excited to own it and buy it and thats it! There isnt this huge deal made over its flaws or pricing or nobody to tell you your an ***** if you but Android etc

I just find it interesting. Why are iphones hated so much? Obviously they are loved by many but i just mean that there is so much hatred out there towards not just the iphone but even the people that own one! Why is this?

Thoughts?

When something or someone is great people will either love you or hate you . iPhone ,Lebron James , Kobe,etc. you get it. Lol

Cowy123

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I have owned a few iPhones and Android phones since the early days, but sometimes I really got really sick and tired of people being so dramatic towards iPhones or Android phones. What's the big deal? It's a phone after all, iPhone is one of the best and most popular phones. Android phones normally have cooler features and better specs. But it's a phone, I don't t get it why some people always hate iPhones or Android phones so much, find out what's best for you, that's it. I am happy with my iPhone X as well as my Mi Mix 2, back in the days, I still remember how excited I was when I got my HTC hero/G6 or my iPhone 4s.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It’s like it used to be when people debated whether Fords, Chevys or Dodges were better. People now get excited about electronics more than cars. I hated Apple for awhile saying I won’t own a “fruity” computer but things changed. I swore I would never own a “rice burner” car but my last 6 cars have been “rice burners”.

I just let it go in 1 ear and out the other. What really matters is what you as the user likes and what best supports you needs. If other people want to yell and scream they hate iPhones let them go. If a person wants to yell and scream they hate Android phones let them go. If you ignore them them long enough they will get tired and shut up.

Just my opinion.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think there is more controversy on forums like this one than in real life. I'm an Android user, but I have family members and friends who use iPhones and those who use Android. Nobody really cares what device each person likes. The only time we ever look at each other's phones is when someone gets a new phone. As long as one likes what he or she gets, and is happy with it, the operating system or brand shouldn't matter.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think there is more controversy on forums like this one than in real life. I'm an Android user, but I have family members and friends who use iPhones and those who use Android. Nobody really cares what device each person likes. The only time we ever look at each other's phones is when someone gets a new phone. As long as one likes what he or she gets, and is happy with it, the operating system or brand shouldn't matter.

Clearly you’ve never seen my brother and brother-in-law and me.
My brother has a Samsung thingie, the other an iPhone like me and they can’t ever agree with me on how awesome the iPhone is.

I don’t like them very much because of that

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Clearly you’ve never seen my brother and brother-in-law and me.
My brother has a Samsung thingie, my other an iPhone like me and they can’t ever agree with me on how awesome the iPhone is.

I don’t like them very much because of that
I hope they don't argue so much about sports!

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
The thing is that Android is a larger ecosystem, with many companies, which means more fanboys. These Android "fanboys" are much more than those of Apple, which also means more criticism. That’s just one factor, I believe.

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that Android is a larger ecosystem, with many companies, which means more fanboys. These Android "fanboys" are much more than those of Apple, which also means more criticism. That’s just one factor, I believe.

That logic seems off. Yea Android has more companies, and that waters down the percentages, which leads to some Android users fighting amongst whether Samsung or HTC are best, but not sure why Android fragmentation drives more fanboys? There is a higher percentage of people on Android overall than iOS, I bet most people could care less what others use.

I see rudeness on both sides, I don't see Android fans any worse than the iOS true believers when it comes to forums.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That logic seems off. Yea Android has more companies, and that waters down the percentages, which leads to some Android users fighting amongst whether Samsung or HTC are best, but not sure why Android fragmentation drives more fanboys? There is a higher percentage of people on Android overall than iOS, I bet most people could care less what others use.

I see rudeness on both sides, I don't see Android fans any worse than the iOS true believers when it comes to forums.

I think he was just stating that there is power in numbers so Android would naturally have more fanboys than Apple. I agree that the vast majority of users don’t really care what everyone else is using. I’m a huge Apple fan but that’s only because it works best for my needs, I’m invested in the ecosystem and I’ve been using Apple products for over 30 years so I’m loyal to the brand. I honestly couldn’t care less what everyone else is using (unless you’re the ONE guy in the office using Android and it messes with all of our group texts. Darn that guy!).

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
These types of posts seem to get a chuckle out of me. This debate is just so ... beaten to death. People have different opinions about all sorts of things... sports teams, music, politics, favorite foods, cars, ways to exercise .. whatever. Yet, on tech blogs/forums people can be some of the most passionate.

Nothing is controversial about Apple or the iPhone. They sell 100's millions of phones every year. Just like there's no controversy of Samsung, who also sells 100's million phones every year. The vast majority of people just don't care and, no, the two people a year you might run into in normal life that likes to jaw it up about your device, any device, doesn't constitute the "everybody" or "so many people".

Tech sites are great. They gives us a place to discuss things we like with a like minded community. But there are real issues in the world, like the lack of fresh water for some people in the world, that get less press attention than whether or not a phone has wireless charging or not.

My advice, some one has something to say about "whatever" device from ABC company. Just smile and get on with your day. Visiting tech blogs/forums .. well, welcome to the internet.

Happy Holidays to you guys!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is controversial about Apple or the iPhone. They sell 100's millions of phones every year. Just like there's no controversy of Samsung, who also sells 100's million phones every year. The vast majority of people just don't care and, no, the two people a year you might run into in normal life that likes to jaw it up about your device, any device, doesn't constitute the "everybody" or "so many people".

I kind of disagree here. Apple, Samsung and their devices have definitely been involved in controversy over the years. Some examples:

- Apple got into hot water for refusing to help the FBI break into a mass shooter’s iPhone.
- Note 7 devices had such bad battery problems that airlines were banning them from flights.
- An Apple supplier made headlines for not obeying Chinese child labor laws in order to push out more iPhone X units.
- Samsung had to change the language in its face unlock guidance after users reported that photographs of the person could be used to unlock devices.

Sure, Android having wireless charging way before Apple is not real controversy, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I kind of disagree here. Apple, Samsung and their devices have definitely been involved in controversy over the years. Some examples:

- Apple got into hot water for refusing to help the FBI break into a mass shooter’s iPhone.
- Note 7 devices had such bad battery problems that airlines were banning them from flights.
- An Apple supplier made headlines for not obeying Chinese child labor laws in order to push out more iPhone X units.
- Samsung had to change the language in its face unlock guidance after users reported that photographs of the person could be used to unlock devices.

Sure, Android having wireless charging way before Apple is not real controversy, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any.

We can agree to disagree, as I don't see any of those as any unusual amount of controversy than any other company would face. To clarify, every company has missteps and "DOH!" type moments as they are impossible to avoid and people will discuss them. But with a titling like "Why are iPhone so controversial?" suggests that there are more disagreements about iPhones than any others. I just don't see it that way...

Put this way, Google's Pixel won't even sell 5-6 million phones Y-o-Y, yet every tech blog, along with the also rans, chimed in daily for 2 months solid with sensationalism on full tilt. Now in relative terms, a phone brand with a fraction of the market share shouldn't even caused a batted eye, but it did. Does that the Pixel Brand more controversial than Apple since October? How can it if the user base is so small?

It's all even for everyone, no more for this brand or that brand. I mean Samsung's leadership is in shambles, yet they'll sell more phones than ever before.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
We can agree to disagree, as I don't see any of those as any unusual amount of controversy than any other company would face. To clarify, every company has missteps and "DOH!" type moments as they are impossible to avoid and people will discuss them. But with a titling like "Why are iPhone so controversial?" suggests that there are more disagreements about iPhones than any others. I just don't see it that way...

Put this way, Google's Pixel won't even sell 5-6 million phones Y-o-Y, yet every tech blog, along with the also rans, chimed in daily for 2 months solid with sensationalism on full tilt. Now in relative terms, a phone brand with a fraction of the market share shouldn't even caused a batted eye, but it did. Does that the Pixel Brand more controversial than Apple since October? How can it if the user base is so small?

It's all even for everyone, no more for this brand or that brand. I mean Samsung's leadership is in shambles, yet they'll sell more phones than ever before.

Apple’s refusal to back down to demands from the Department of Justice after the San Bernardino shooting is perhaps the most controversial moment in the history of the tech industry. It led news headlines for weeks and is still being discussed today. It also set the stage for an ongoing debate concerning criminal justice and privacy. If that isn’t controversy then apparently we have a much different definition of the world.
I’m not saying that Apple is overly controversial but your initial claim that absolutely nothing about Apple or the iPhone is controversial just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

Last edited:

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Apple’s refusal to back down to demands from the Department of Justice after the San Bernardino shooting is perhaps the most controversial moment in the history of the tech industry. It led news headlines for weeks and is still being discussed today. It also set the stage for an ongoing debate concerning criminal justice and privacy. If that isn’t controversy then apparently we have a much different definition of the world.
I’m not saying that Apple is overly controversial but your initial claim that absolutely nothing about Apple or the iPhone is controversial just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

Right, but the question was why are iPhones controversial, not whether digital privacy in the 21st century was controversial. Insert Amazon and the Alexa murder case, or other examples of law enforcement or foreign powers demanding access to digital information, it's not unique to apple. Or unique to the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro