Mod note: Feel free to move this if it fits better elsewhere.

Okay! Here's the thing, especially with the release of the iPhone X that yes, starts at $1,000 to buy, there has been an insurgence of posts about how bad the iPhone is. I'm talking bugs, as the title suggests. It's not the phone, it's iOS. Here's the thing, every version of iOS has had issues, and every version of iOS will continue to have issues. This is a fact. All software has bugs and will always have bugs. It's going to happen. Apple does their best on their own and with the help of beta testers to remove all the major bugs before official release.

I've also seen comments that there are more bugs now than there have been. Of course there are! Why? That's the easiest question of all. The software is more complex, and each subsequent version will be even more complex. This adds features, but also adds to the ways bugs can occur. Some are quite obscure, some are not. If anything major rears up that wasn't caught beforehand, Apple fixes it quickly. Simply put, it doesn't matter the software, you will have bugs. The question is whether or not you can live with that, and how quickly the company behind said software fixes it. I know nothing will stop bug complaints, but please, don't blame the phone, the hardware, for the software issues.
    12-03-2017 03:39 PM
    Amen to that brother.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-03-2017 03:52 PM
    And please, PLEASE don’t blame either hardware or software for Codes 18 :P
    Tartarus likes this.
    12-03-2017 04:00 PM
    Slightly off topic but you say "all software has bugs" . . . I cannot speak for ios but iam an android user for years and have rarely noticed any bugs after any software update. I haven't had any issues with the majority of updates i have done. Software is everything to how a phone performs and bugs are not acceptable imo! No good owning a million dollar phone for example if the software on it is poor and then arguing.... well at least the phone is great. Its just the software thats the problem!
    nr2d likes this.
    12-03-2017 04:19 PM
    Slightly off topic but you say "all software has bugs" . . . I cannot speak for ios but iam an android user for years and have rarely noticed any bugs after any software update. I haven't had any issues with the majority of updates i have done. Software is everything to how a phone performs and bugs are not acceptable imo! No good owning a million dollar phone for example if the software on it is poor and then arguing.... well at least the phone is great. Its just the software thats the problem!
    It’s the truth though.
    The user may not even realize it’s a bug.
    12-03-2017 04:21 PM
    It’s the truth though.
    The user may not even realize it’s a bug.
    But if the user does not realise its a big then is it even a bug? lol My opinion would be that a phone is only as good as its software. Software bugs = Problematic phone

I have never had any problems (genuienly) with any of my androids. I remember once doing an update and battery life was poor afterwards but that was it! A flagship device should function flawlessly given how much they cost!

I have always read online that the biggest difference between android and ios was the software! Apple always gets it right and is more stable and less buggy they say but that does not seem to be the case at all from my experience. I cannot speak for ios as its a long time since i have had an Iphone but Android has been good to me! What iam reading online about the Iphone X is worrying to me when iam considering spending the most money i have ever spent on owning a smartphone
    12-03-2017 04:29 PM
    The difference this year is that Apple fragmented iOS. iOS is different for iPad than it is for iPhones with home buttons which is different for iPhone X. This again causes issues. I’m hoping next year there are no iPhones with home buttons and Apple can focus on making iOS great for the gesture based iPhones.
    zenjen likes this.
    12-03-2017 04:45 PM
    Thank you for this.
    12-03-2017 06:50 PM

I have never had any problems (genuienly) with any of my androids. I have always read online that the biggest difference between android and ios was the software! Apple always gets it right and is more stable and less buggy they say but that does not seem to be the case at all from my experience. I cannot speak for ios as its a long time since i have had an Iphone but Android has been good to me! What iam reading online about the Iphone X is worrying to me when iam considering spending the most money i have ever spent on owning a smartphone
    Clearly you’ve never owned the Note 7 and experienced the flaming battery bug, or dealt with any of Samsung’s many known bugs. such as the alarm clock not working. It was recommended to me by Samsung tech support to download a 3rd party alarm clock because I could not get the alarm to ring on two different Samsung s6.

Clearly you haven’t been on any Android forums because there are always posts about bugs on there. I’m almost wondering if you are just trolling imore.

I just got the iPhone X. Moved up from a 7 plus, before that I had a note 7, iPhone 6plus, galaxy s6, iPhone 5, galaxy s4, blackberry tour, Motorola droid 1 & 2, htc thunderbolt etc. There are always bugs, but believe me I am very happy with the fact that at least you can get a software update from Apple without having to wait for the carrier to push through an update that they very horribly modify to their own ends.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    12-03-2017 07:49 PM
    The difference this year is that Apple fragmented iOS. iOS is different for iPad than it is for iPhones with home buttons which is different for iPhone X. This again causes issues. I’m hoping next year there are no iPhones with home buttons and Apple can focus on making iOS great for the gesture based iPhones.
    This sums it well. For sure these platform branches means the software is more complex to maintain.

Hopefully, the Apple development and test teams will ultimately get better at regression testing, both current and future iOS enhancements.
    12-03-2017 08:29 PM
    OP is mostly correct, but I see a majority of the complaints in the iOS 11 forum. I don’t see many people around here blaming their hardware.

Also, it’s no secret that iOS is fragmented more than ever. But the fragmentation, to me, began when the 6 and 6 Plus were released.
    12-04-2017 08:19 AM
    OP is mostly correct, but I see a majority of the complaints in the iOS 11 forum. I don’t see many people around here blaming their hardware.

Also, it’s no secret that iOS is fragmented more than ever. But the fragmentation, to me, began when the 6 and 6 Plus were released.
    True enough. I don’t lump the regular size and plus into the fragmentation though. That’s mostly screen resolution difference. A couple camera features and what not. But mostly the same. Even with iPad. iOS 11 gave iPad a whole host of unique software changes that don’t apply to the iPhone, while the X obviously brought it’s own unique software changes. I think Apple still builds a singular build of iOS for all three device types. I really think it would behoove Apple to split iOS into these three groups and have dedicated software teams for each. It would reduce the bugs and size of iOS for each device.
    12-04-2017 08:33 AM
    I honestly haven't seen anyone blaming the phone. Everyone I've seen understands that the X is a solid device but iOS 11 is easily the most buggy version of iOS to date. The "why" is surely important behind the scenes. But that doesn't change anything. The masses aren't used to this from Apple. We can make all the excuses we want but at the end of the day, Apple and iOS were always held to the slogan, "It just works". If that can no longer be said for the reasons you mentioned, then so be it. I'm personally refreshed by Apples swift response to the issues that have plagued many. But lets call a spade a spade here. The iPhone X is awesome. iOS 11 didn't come without it's problems though. For those of us who haven't experienced any bugs or issues, great. But my mother and brother have made several trips to the Apple store since iOS 11 released for varying issues that didn't exist prior to iOS 11. It's tough to explain the technical reasons their phones don't work when they switched from Android because their Android phones were buggy.
    12-04-2017 09:31 AM
    I’ve just seen a number of posts about how bad the iPhone X is or don’t buy it, etc., because of software bugs.
    12-04-2017 09:37 AM
    I’ve just seen a number of posts about how bad the iPhone X is or don’t buy it, etc., because of software bugs.
    Well look at it this way...

Would you recommend spending $2500 on a 4K TV that has issues displaying 4K content? The hardware may be amazing...but the software is what fuels the experience.

So if iOS 11 is buggy...why recommend spending $1100+ on the X? I think that's why you're hearing things like that. The disconnect between hardware and software isn't as important because it really is a symbiotic relationship. My experience has been mostly positive. So I wouldn't tell someone not to buy the X. But for those who have experienced nothing but troubles with iOS 11 on their X...I can understand their hesitation to recommend the product. These are expensive phones.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    12-04-2017 09:45 AM
    Well look at it this way...

Would you recommend spending $2500 on a 4K TV that has issues displaying 4K content? The hardware may be amazing...but the software is what fuels the experience.

So if iOS 11 is buggy...why recommend spending $1100+ on the X? I think that's why you're hearing things like that. The disconnect between hardware and software isn't as important because it really is a symbiotic relationship. My experience has been mostly positive. So I wouldn't tell someone not to buy the X. But for those who have experienced nothing but troubles with iOS 11 on their X...I can understand their hesitation to recommend the product. These are expensive phones.
    Well the issue is that most of these bugs appear on all iPhones. In your analogy this would apply to all 4K TV’s.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    12-04-2017 09:49 AM
    Well the issue is that most of these bugs appear on all iPhones. In your analogy this would apply to all 4K TV’s.
    But for someone unaware...their only point of reference is the iPhone X in their hands. So they'd obviously tell people to say away from the X because they have no experience with other devices to say whether or not the issues exist there as well. As far as the tech reviewers and such, they should absolutely be making the distinction that these bugs are related to iOS 11, and not the device itself though.
    12-04-2017 09:53 AM
    But for someone unaware...their only point of reference is the iPhone X in their hands. So they'd obviously tell people to say away from the X because they have no experience with other devices to say whether or not the issues exist there as well. As far as the tech reviewers and such, they should absolutely be making the distinction that these bugs are related to iOS 11, and not the device itself though.
    And that’s why I made this post.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    12-04-2017 09:54 AM
    There was a major bug a few years ago with Android L and the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet. It literally was killing the flash memory with a bug that used up all of the writes in the cache memory. This made them useless and unable to boot past looping at the boot logo after while. It was a bug in the OS but Asus the mfr. had to replace them and to get that done you had to get a complaint to the right email that only came out after a number of users harassed Asus enough to finally get to the right area to talk to about it. Google's product forums had an absolutely huge thread on the issue. Apparently the same bug ate some Nexus 5 phones as well.

I know this is an extreme example, but having used Android off and on since the OG Droid I can there are definitely bugs that occur at both the OS and app level just like Apple and just like Microsoft. Developers can only test so much. Unless they make all phones only run the exact same apps and configuration there's just no way to test all the possible combinations of stuff that could pop a bug. If they tried to do that you'd still be on iOS 4.0 or something (if that).
    12-04-2017 12:10 PM
    Just looking through the first page of the iPhone X sub-forum, here are the posts I found related to people reporting iOS 11 bugs and/or issues:

https://forums.imore.com/iphone-x/39...-new-post.html

Here are the ones on the first page in the iOS 11 sub-forum:

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3971...-new-post.html

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3966...-new-post.html

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3973...-new-post.html

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3969...-new-post.html

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3966...-new-post.html

https://forums.imore.com/ios-11/3968...-new-post.html

I honestly haven't seen many people here on the iMore Forums blaming their iPhone X for iOS 11 software issues. Reddit is a different story, but here most of the members are aware.
    12-04-2017 12:38 PM