I got the Note 8 and think it’s in a class with the iPhone X.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Because rear mounted fingerprint sensor is a cheap solution for cheap products...

Cheap solution? Maybe, maybe not. An alternative to having it associated with the display? Definitely!

With that in mind, I would prefer a fingerprint scanner to be on the display because I could it would allow the ability to access the home screen w/out picking up the device or flipping by it over and then back.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Cheap solution? Maybe, maybe not. An alternative to having it associated with the display? Definitely!

With that in mind, I would prefer a fingerprint scanner to be on the display because I could it would allow the ability to access the home screen w/out picking up the device or flipping by it over and then back.

Face id. Eliminates the need to pick it up.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
MaxSmarties, it seems you have some strong opinions on these. I think the reality is that Apple will spend their time improving Face ID and we won’t see fp scanners in future flagship designs. That said, I also think they’ll keep an 8/8+ design as alternative, at least for a while. AFAIK, they’re still selling 6s/6s+ to meet a lower price point. Something my work has jumped all over. It’s always fun to speculate.

Again, I would certainly be happy to have an fp scanner in the logo and I imagine that’d be a popular feature we’re it released.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Let me remember... for sure. Z1 Compact, Z3 and Z5 Compact (with side button fingerprint sensor).
Terrific devices. Great Android UI. Fast and well built.

I remember the pain in the butt it was to get the XZ Premium to work properly in the US even on At&t. Couldnt imagine doing that 3 times.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Because rear mounted fingerprint sensor is a cheap solution for cheap products...
The only good solution, if you really want to keep Touch ID (and I would like), is an “under the screen” solution.
Unfortunately Apple isn’t thinking that way.

Cheap solution for cheap products....

So the new pixels are cheap products too? I BEG TO DIFFER!

You can’t seem to agree with anyone in this thread so why don’t you just quit while you’re ahead.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
So your basis of facts are your experience only? Well mine works everytime so whos facts are right?

Am I here to worship a samsung product? No. I came into a thread comparing 2 devices I happen to own and use daily (can you say the same?) and stated only facts, easily confirmed, about both devices.

Ive blasted Samsung both here and on the AC forums for their downfalls. I have blasted ios for being boring and thats it. Didnt mention the battery situation, didnt mention the keyboard lag Im having on the X, didnt mention the carplay issues.

So far your argument is “I dont like Samsung”. Well thats great and your choice but this is a thread comparing (how funny, my delete key just stopped functioning again) the 2 devices, not your opinion. If you dont like them fine but what was your point coming into a comparison thread when you dont have anything to compare?

2 devices that are the same size are somehow completely different? In what reality does that make sense?

You say you wouldnt buy it for $200 but earlier you said you did buy it. Which one is it?

The X uses the same screen ratio but it doesnt look like an airstrip?

The note 8 is an excellent device! I love mine! I agree with you on all of the praises you’ve given the device. But it’s pretty consistent in my experience that if you mention good things about another phone in an iPhone forum, your likely to get a lot of flak, no matter how subjective you try to be. The same happens in the note 8 forums on android central if you mention an iPhone lol.

It seems to me that people are going to like what they get comfortable with first when dealing with any item, service etc... So no matter how good something is it will never ever be good or as good or better than what that person has grown to like, at least from that persons perspective.

I don’t have an iPhone X so I can’t compare them but I do like my iPhone 7, but it definitely doesn’t hold up to the note 8 so I wouldn’t even try to compare it. All in all, how lucky are we that we can enjoy two great platforms in iOS and android, as well as all the awesome devices available today! You almost can’t go wrong. Just pick what works best for our needs.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The note 8 is an excellent device! I love mine! I agree with you on all of the praises you’ve given the device. But it’s pretty consistent in my experience that if you mention good things about another phone in an iPhone forum, your likely to get a lot of flak, no matter how subjective you try to be. The same happens in the note 8 forums on android central if you mention an iPhone lol.

It seems to me that people are going to like what they get comfortable with first when dealing with any item, service etc... So no matter how good something is it will never ever be good or as good or better than what that person has grown to like, at least from that persons perspective.

I don’t have an iPhone X so I can’t compare them but I do like my iPhone 7, but it definitely doesn’t hold up to the note 8 so I wouldn’t even try to compare it. All in all, how lucky are we that we can enjoy two great platforms in iOS and android, as well as all the awesome devices available today! You almost can’t go wrong. Just pick what works best for our needs.
This is so true.

The Note 8 is an excellent phone...superior to the iPhone X in many ways (how can one beat the S Pen? All they can do is so say they don't like/need it) but it lacks iMessage and comes with that damned that curved screen. ...which sucks if you are OCD and believe in screen protectors.

I envy all those Note 8 folks that aren't as OCD as me and don't require the security of a screen protector and those that don't know about iMessage (they say ignorance is bliss).

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
This is so true.

The Note 8 is an excellent phone...superior to the iPhone X in many ways (how can one beat the S Pen? All they can do is so say they don't like/need it) but it lacks iMessage and comes with that damned that curved screen. ...which sucks if you are OCD and believe in xscreen protectors.

I envy all those Note 8 folks that aren't as OCD as me and don't require the security of a screen protector and those that don't know about iMessage (they say ignorance is bliss).

I actually like the curved screen, albeit it does kinda ruin screen real estate when writing. I use to swear by a screen protector until I got the s6 edge and the curved screens that came after it. I’m just extra careful now and so far so good. My wife on the other hand cracked her s8 plus screen 🤦🏾*♂️.

iMessage is cool, and so is FaceTime but I’ve found using apps like allo and duo or WhatsApp and Facebook messenger are just as capable if not even more feature rich and work on all platforms. It’s just for some reason when it comes to downloading those apps some people refuse to do it, idk why.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Got the Note 8 for my work phone.

The only thing wrong with the Note 8 is it's made by Samsung, worst customer service you could ever get from a Tech company. I wouldn't rely on their phones to run a chook raffle neverlone a business.
If i was given one for free i would just sell it.
Spot on. I had a s7 and had the worst customer service involving a promo.

The rep told me that Samsung couldn't do anything in regards to the promo. I found it hard to believe that a huge company like Samsung couldn't adjust $50 dollars on a smartwatch (ordered 3 of them). I actually got into a yelling match with her.

Never buying anything Samsung ever again (still haven't to this day) because of their terrible customer service.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: Got the Note 8 for my work phone.

Spot on. I had a s7 and had the worst customer service involving a promo.

The rep told me that Samsung couldn't do anything in regards to the promo. I found it hard to believe that a huge company like Samsung couldn't adjust $50 dollars on a smartwatch (ordered 3 of them). I actually got into a yelling match with her.

Never buying anything Samsung ever again (still haven't to this day) because of their terrible customer service.

I’ve heard some bad stories about Samsung customer service and it’s very unfortunate. I’ve also heard some great stories, but it seems they definitely have work to do.

As far as my experiences with at this point dozens of Samsung devices and appliances, I’ve been fortunate enough that they all have worked very well. I’ve also received all promotional items and rebates in a timely manner and was informed on the progress of receiving the item or service. If I do have any problems in the future I don’t plan on going through Samsung anyway, I purchase my devices through my carrier and would go to them for fixes since I pay for insurance. If my fridge, stove, washer or dryer start acting up. I would probably go through my home warranty, since I pay for that as well.

The good thing Apple has is there stores presence. Makes it very easy for their customers to go in and get something fixed. Definitely a plus!