I got the Note 8 and think it’s in a class with the iPhone X.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Samsung products are nice but they've had their share of foibles. That said, IMO, the Note 8 is as good or better than their other great Note series...the Note 4, Note Edge, and Note 5 were all really good to me. Yeah, I don't get the benefit of the curved displays or the placement of the fp sensor. I'm sure there's a good reason for it's placement. The curved glass? Since I'm a screen protector girl that just drivesme crazy and is why I don't have a Note 8 instead of this Mate 9. The Note 8's display format and quality are second to none, IMO. ...but this Mate 9 leaves little to be desired and that says a lot given the price differential.

All that said, I'm always glad to go back to my iPhones after a while on this thing. However, if there was iMessage for Android?? Ah heck.

That Mate 9 is a fantastic phone. I ran that one for a while. The 4000mah battery is unbeatable and the screen is excellent. Easily one of the best bang for buck phones still today.

As for the curves, I agree completely. They look nice but they arent practical what so ever and serve no purpose. Its one of the things I appreciate about the X.

The fingerprint sensor is definitely in an odd space on the s8 series but on the other hand, I appreciate the option of still having it. Oddly enough, I rarely use it since the iris scanner works so well.

I wish the X would have placed a fingerprint sensor on the apple logo. To me that would have been a perfect compromise. It would fall in place like the Mate 9 does which feels very naturally.

Now if apple ever releases imessage for android it would be their biggest mistake. I would love it but it will cost them dearly.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That Mate 9 is a fantastic phone. I ran that one for a while. The 4000mah battery is unbeatable and the screen is excellent. Easily one of the best bang for buck phones still today.

As for the curves, I agree completely. They look nice but they arent practical what so ever and serve no purpose. Its one of the things I appreciate about the X.

The fingerprint sensor is definitely in an odd space on the s8 series but on the other hand, I appreciate the option of still having it. Oddly enough, I rarely use it since the iris scanner works so well.

I wish the X would have placed a fingerprint sensor on the apple logo. To me that would have been a perfect compromise. It would fall in place like the Mate 9 does which feels very naturally.

Now if apple ever releases imessage for android it would be their biggest mistake. I would love it but it will cost them dearly.
If Apple ever released iMesage for Android I certainly would not have two iPhones right now. They'll never do that.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Fingerprint sensor on the Apple logo... what a ugly idea.
The only place Touch ID should stay is integrated into the display itself. It would be nice to have an iPhone XS with both Face ID and Touch ID under the screen (but I’m quite sure it wont happens).

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the unlocked Snapdragon variant on Verizon.
I have optimized the device by disabling what I can using package disabler pro.
Battery life is what I would consider outstanding.
At least standby is, which is typically a sore spot for Android.
Waiting for Oreo official.
At least I can theme it in total blackout; an option that should be available to all devices sporting AMOLED displays.

JMHO

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor on the Apple logo... what a ugly idea.

Why is that an ugly idea? The logo would then serve a productive purpose. Those that wanted to use it could. Those that wanted to use Face ID could. I think having them both would be delightful but would make the device even more expensive and $1,200 is my limit.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Why is that an ugly idea? The logo would then serve a productive purpose. Those that wanted to use it could. Those that wanted to use Face ID could. I think having them both would be delightful but would make the device even more expensive and $1,200 is my limit.
Because rear mounted fingerprint sensor is a cheap solution for cheap products...
The only good solution, if you really want to keep Touch ID (and I would like), is an “under the screen” solution.
Unfortunately Apple isn’t thinking that way.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I stand corrected: there could be another good solution. Fingerprint sensor integrated in the power button, like on every Sony high end device (outside US). I don’t know why Apple didn’t think about that.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Because rear mounted fingerprint sensor is a cheap solution for cheap products...
The only good solution, if you really want to keep Touch ID (and I would like), is an “under the screen” solution.
Unfortunately Apple isn’t thinking that way.

You do understand if it was on the apple logo it would look absolutely no different than it does now right? It isnt a button, its a sensor under the logo.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I stand corrected: there could be another good solution. Fingerprint sensor integrated in the power button, like on every Sony high end device (outside US). I don’t know why Apple didn’t think about that.

That would be an absolute nightmare for cases, just like it is on the sony’s.

Either the button would have to be raised an absurd amount or it would be so recessed in a case it would be virtually unusable.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

This is exactly what they should do in my opinion. It works well on Sony devices. Do they have a patent on it that stopped Apple from implementing it?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly what they should do in my opinion. It works well on Sony devices. Do they have a patent on it that stopped Apple from implementing it?
Actually as far as I know Apple has that patent (that’s the reason Sony is’nt using the fingerprint sensor in USA).

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
It still is on the back. Let Samsung does this kind of “solutions”...

Its not a Samsung thing lol. Do you have any idea how many companies use a fingerprint on the back? Samsung was one of the last companies to do it. You gotta get past your blind hatred for a company and open your mind to what actually works. Go grab a pixel or LG G6 and put your finger on the FPS and tell me its not one of the most natural places it could be. Theres a reason its widely used. I bet if Apple did it you would be screaming how innovative it was.

The power button eliminates basically 90% of cases on the market. Go look at how much trouble Sony users have finding a case that still allows the fingerprint sensor to work. Theres very few and they are very slim, eliminating the purpose of a case which is protection.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
That would be an absolute nightmare for cases, just like it is on the sony’s.

Either the button would have to be raised an absurd amount or it would be so recessed in a case it would be virtually unusable.

There are plenty of case for Sony devices.
You just have to leave the power button out (Apple’s cases have the lightning port completely unprotected...), just like the mute switch.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
There are plenty of case for Sony devices.
You just have to leave the power button out (Apple’s cases have the lightning port completely unprotected...), just like the mute switch.

Yes and its recessed so deep its a royal pain in the butt to get it to read. If youve never used a Sony with the FPS I would suggest you try it before ever recommending that design. Theres a reason very few phones are using that method.

You want to take one of the most complained about aspects of Sony phones and implement it into the iPhone.

Take a cheap case and cut the power cover off. Then try and get your finger in there enough to read a scan. Its one of the worst designs available if you ever want to use a case.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Its not a Samsung thing lol. Do you have any idea how many companies use a fingerprint on the back? Samsung was one of the last companies to do it. You gotta get past your blind hatred for a company and open your mind to what actually works. Go grab a pixel or LG G6 and put your finger on the FPS and tell me its not one of the most natural places it could be. Theres a reason its widely used. I bet if Apple did it you would be screaming how innovative it was.

The power button eliminates basically 90% of cases on the market. Go look at how much trouble Sony users have finding a case that still allows the fingerprint sensor to work. Theres very few and they are very slim, eliminating the purpose of a case which is protection.
No it’s not the most natural place at all. I don’t keep ANY finger in that position while holding a phone. Fingers are around the edges.
And I don’t see any issue with Sony cases...
696ED4A2-9EC5-47C4-89FA-B72F2DB7EE4E.jpeg

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yes and its recessed so deep its a royal pain in the butt to get it to read. If youve never used a Sony with the FPS I would suggest you try it before ever recommending that design. Theres a reason very few phones are using that method.

You want to take one of the most complained about aspects of Sony phones and implement it into the iPhone.

Take a cheap case and cut the power cover off. Then try and get your finger in there enough to read a scan. Its one of the worst designs available if you ever want to use a case.
I’ve owned several.
By far the best Android smartphones on the market.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
No it’s not the most natural place at all. I don’t keep ANY finger in that position while holding a phone. Fingers are around the edges.
And I don’t see any issue with Sony cases...
View attachment 121976

You dont see any problem with that huh?

I guess one of the largest divisions of case manufacturers and consumers would be A-Ok giving up any means of water protection.

I guess the amount of complaints on forums about this very issue is no problem.

Apple can do as they please, there will always be enough people to cut off their nose to spite their face as long as that shiny logo is on the back. Thats how theyve gotten away with the notch so far.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro