I got the Note 8 and think it’s in a class with the iPhone X.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
The point is, Samsung devices have to wait months before they can get the latest software updates. Not so with Apple.

They generally get one major upgrade a year, same as Apple. Samsung has been getting security patches regularly. My Note 8 is on December.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Security updates is not the same as OS upgrades. When Apple releases their yearly update, every device that is capable of running the upgrade. Not so with Android. How long has Oreo been out?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
They generally get one major upgrade a year, same as Apple. Samsung has been getting security patches regularly. My Note 8 is on December.

Security patches yes, but OS? I still get mad thinking my Note 4 was obsolete after a year and didn’t get an OS update. My mom and spouse are on Samsung Devices and all they get is security updates.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Security updates is not the same as OS upgrades. When Apple releases their yearly update, every device that is capable of running the upgrade. Not so with Android. How long has Oreo been out?

About this time last year Nougat started coming out to non pixel devices. Now we’re about to get Oreo. Once a year we get OS upgrades, same as Apple. What difference does it make if it’s with the pixel or 4 months later as long as it’s once a year, same as Apple.

Personally I’d prefer to wait a few months. iOS 11 didn’t go too well and is just now becoming stable.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I never had a problem with iOS 11 initial release. What difference does 4 months make?????? Apparently none to some, but when I have a 1,000.00+ device I shouldn’t have to wait 4 months.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
About this time last year Nougat started coming out to non pixel devices. Now we’re about to get Oreo. Once a year we get OS upgrades, same as Apple. What difference does it make if it’s with the pixel or 4 months later as long as it’s once a year, same as Apple.

Personally I’d prefer to wait a few months. iOS 11 didn’t go too well and is just now becoming stable.

Apple send out iOS updates year round. It introduces a new full iOS version annually. The difference is this. The updates are available to iPhones dating back several models. For example, a person with an iPhone 5S that was released in 2013 would be alerted to update to iOS 11. That’s typically not the case with Android, unless things have changed.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Apple send out iOS updates year round. It introduces a new full iOS version annually. The difference is this. The updates are available to iPhones dating back several models. For example, a person with an iPhone 5S that was released in 2013 would be alerted to update to iOS 11. That’s typically not the case with Android, unless things have changed.

3 versions minimum with most Androids.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I never had a problem with iOS 11 initial release. What difference does 4 months make?????? Apparently none to some, but when I have a 1,000.00+ device I shouldn’t have to wait 4 months.

Then I spose every report of the issues was wrong? My kids 6s plus had major issues as well as my wife’s 6.

Apple is 1 company. They release an update for their 1 company yearly.

Samsung, is 1 company. They release their updates for their 1 company yearly.

Google, again 1 company who releases their updates yearly for 1 company. Everyone else builds off those releases.

Android is a platform that is distributed amongst 1000’s of device.

Just because 1000’s of devices share the base OS does not mean that they use the same OS. There’s a reason they come out after stock Android. Software gets added, features added etc.

You’re comparing Apple, who deals with one brand of device, to an OS that is delivered to 100’s of brands. But they all release a major upgrade each year.

Doesn’t make any sense to compare the 2.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
3 versions minimum with most Androids.

You forgot to mention flagship. There are devices being sold with older versions of Android that will never be updated beyond security patches. My niece has a J3 that got a couple of point updates, but no major ones. Some blame the OEMs, some blame the carriers. I honestly blame Google for giving the carriers and OEMs the right to decide if they want to update those devices.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
You forgot to mention flagship. There are devices being sold with older versions of Android that will never be updated beyond security patches. My niece has a J3 that got a couple of point updates, but no major ones. Some blame the OEMs, some blame the carriers. I honestly blame Google for giving the carriers and OEMs the right to decide if they want to update those devices.

Not necessarily flagships though. The Axon series is still receiving them. The lower end cheap phones won’t ever get updates but they are also 1/3 the cost.

The issue is Google is stock. Samsung, LG etc use their own OS built off stock.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Android has become far more stable and reliable than it was even 5 years ago. From battery life to features, it has evolved from a problematic and buggy software to a smooth running and reliable os.

Google assistant has completely changed the way any android device functions. Siri is still lacking basic functions such as being able to control smart home devices remotely. There’s no reason I need to buy a $150 Apple TV or an iPad to control my lights remotely by voice. It can’t even connect to my thermostat because it’s not the newest version. Instead of using manufacturer logins, like HomeKit should, it relies on pairing. Ifttt allows complete customization of all these devices through google assistant. Sure I can download the app on iOS and tap it to initiate those function but being baked in is far above what Siri does. Then there’s getting answers from Siri. Anytime I ask something I get “here’s what I found on the web”. If I wanted a web search I could have initiated one. Why can’t she read the results?

Android auto puts CarPlay to shame, period.

iTunes syncing is still the disaster it was 10 years ago. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to sync my music properly. It kept naming songs based on some work group genre. I had to edit 19,323 songs so they would be listed by the song title and not the genre. My iTunes cloud somehow now has 31,000 songs even though I completely wiped it twice from the cloud. My artwork is a mess. I have to play each album for it to correctly display the artwork and change the album cover.

Display calibration is nonexistent on iOS.

$70 for a fast charger on a device that offers fast charging and was $1150 is a joke.

Samsung pay runs circles around Apple Pay. Samsung Pay works literally everywhere regardless of if the store offers nfc payments or not.

Notifications on iOS still aren’t grouped so my notification tray looks like a complete cluster$&?@.

The biggest disappointment in iOS to me is it looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Still no customization, still the same icons, same layout, same everything really. The design of the os has become stale. The only difference between all our phones is the wallpaper and ringtones. There’s absolutely no personalization.

Ip67 still. No dual Bluetooth. No dual sim options. No dark theme after it’s been begged for for years. No option to change default apps like music, browser, mail etc. No secure folder option. No guest mode. No VR. No multi-window mode.

These are just a few things Android has listened to users and given them. Apple gave us a stickers and Animojis.

Most of the stuff the x and others offer were done first on android. Features that android added and become the standard and allowed android to evolve into a competitor to Apple.

There’s more but I think you get the idea.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m liking the X. I’m using it to type this actually. But iOS hasn’t changed in 10 years. It’s become stagnant and needs a redesign from the ground up. iMessage is apples biggest selling point. If they ever release it for android they will lose tons of users.

I used Apple from 2009 until 2015. Coming back, I realize that beyond the cute little stuff my children like to play with (animojis) nothing has changed. Even windows has changed in the past 10 years. Why does Apple refuse to do so?

Well played... well played

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: Got the Note 8 for my work phone.

Yup my wife doesn't like it when my bubbles are green. Plus, having young kids, we exchange pictures and FHD videos, works flawlessly on iOS but Android compresses the heck out of videos so much that they're pixelated, that's if you get lucky sending one.

The thing is, iOS compresses the videos and splits the texts sent from android, from what I understand (I could be wrong) but the process used to make android bubbles green also compresses and pixelates the pics/videos even more making it look horrible once its viewed on iOS. It’s kind’ve a created situation where it seems Apple uses this to separate it’s users.

The whole green bubble complaints always leave me confused lol. Why do ppl hate the color when it’s the same color as the iMessage, FaceTime, phone and half of the maps icons? Lol

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think there's a lot of misunderstanding regarding Android from people who prefer iOS. @TylerLV76 is exactly correct. Currently, there are 1300 OEMs and over 24,000 different branded devices that use Android as a base operating system. Each with their own customers and business objectives.

Apple users look to iOS for their features. Android looks to the individual OEM for the features they want and desire. An Android OS update to someone who carries a Samsung is not much more than an improvement in security and optimization. Samsung creates their own features and their products are feature rich, for sure. They sell the features of their devices, not OS.

Now someone with a Pixel, or other near stock Android device, might look for feature improvements from the OS. But, generally speaking, Android is just the base. What OEMs decided to do with it is up to them.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

That sounds about right. A J3 is an entry level phone. It's a great budget phone meant for basic communication. Texting, calls, etc.. and not much more.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

Samsung promised monthly security updates. I got the Note 8 and didn't get any securityupdate until December. The phone was before that at august level, so many months without update and this is a sim unlocked European version. They really suck at updates. The only android phone worth considering is Pixel phones if you want timely updates

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Samsung promised monthly security updates. I got the Note 8 and didn't get any securityupdate until December. The phone was before that at august level, so many months without update and this is a sim unlocked Europe version. They really suck at updates

Europe has had issues for a while with updates. The US has been much better on the S8 and Note series.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Europe has had issues for a while with updates. The US has been much better on the S8 and Note series.

Yes and that is a disgrace, no way I am buying a Samsung phone again and. The Note 8 is almost as expensive as an iPhone X so you think that you will get great support. But Samsung in Sweden totally sucks at support and the software updates are lacking

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Yes and that is a disgrace, no way I am buying a Samsung phone again and. The Note 8 is almost as expensive as an iPhone X so you think that you will get great support. But Samsung in Sweden totally sucks at support and the software updates are lacking

Honestly, Samsung support everywhere is among the worst. Apples support is in another league.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have always said you get what best fits your needs. I prefer the Apple products because the warranty and support is second to none.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner