I got the Note 8 and think it’s in a class with the iPhone X.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: Got the Note 8 for my work phone.

I have both the Note 8 and the iPhone X and they both have their good points and bad points. Really they are 6 of one half dozen of the other.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I’ve had a note 8 since a week after launch. I ended up with an X, thanks to my wife’s hatred of me not having iMessage, on Christmas. So far the battery life of the 2 is almost exact.

I got 7 hours 45 minutes of usage time yesterday when I was at 6% and my Note 8 gets 7 1/2 to 8 hours screen on time consistently.

I really dislike iOS and its stagnant nature. It feels the same as it did years ago while android has continued to evolve.

That being said, the X’s design has allowed me to ignore the bland nature of iOS for now. Not enough for me to sell the Note but its nice not carrying such a huge phone.

gyounk

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site

Is it possible to use Microsoft translate on emails or text on the phone? The SPen allows that. Feature wise, the Spen makes the Note a great phone. I have both Note 8 and Iphone 8+ and love both phones.

I didn’t see that option with Microsoft Translate. It only allows speech, text input and camera input.
Great questions! :)

What I like about Microsoft Translator is if the app can Share, MS translator is an option to do inline translating.

Email - With the above said - email does not allow you to share so you will have to do a “roundabout” way of using MS translate with a camera on another device. Or save the email to a PDF and then Share that to MS translator. +1 for the Note8 with translating emails inline directly.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site

Great questions! :)

What I like about Microsoft Translator is if the app can Share, MS translator is an option to do inline translating.

Email - With the above said - email does not allow you to share so you will have to do a “roundabout” way of using MS translate with a camera on another device. Or save the email to a PDF and then Share that to MS translator. +1 for the Note8 with translating emails inline directly.

Thanks for the input. I’ll use translator on my 8+. Something is better than nothing

gyounk

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site

I really dislike iOS and its stagnant nature. It feels the same as it did years ago while android has continued to evolve.
Hi, Please share with me how Android evolved. All I see on my Note8 is icons and widgets on the dashboard. Instead of just icons like iOS. Notifications are swipe down like iOS (I know, I know android had that first). Just curious how iOS is stagnant when widgets are a swipe to the left like getting Bixby widgets on Samsung .

Thanks.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

I MUCH prefer notifications on iOS. So much easier to interact with and more robust, as are iOS widgets.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Got the Note 8 for my work phone.

Hi, Please share with me how Android evolved. All I see on my Note8 is icons and widgets on the dashboard. Instead of just icons like iOS. Notifications are swipe down like iOS (I know, I know android had that first). Just curious how iOS is stagnant when widgets are a swipe to the left like getting Bixby widgets on Samsung .

Thanks.

Android has become far more stable and reliable than it was even 5 years ago. From battery life to features, it has evolved from a problematic and buggy software to a smooth running and reliable os.

Google assistant has completely changed the way any android device functions. Siri is still lacking basic functions such as being able to control smart home devices remotely. There’s no reason I need to buy a $150 Apple TV or an iPad to control my lights remotely by voice. It can’t even connect to my thermostat because it’s not the newest version. Instead of using manufacturer logins, like HomeKit should, it relies on pairing. Ifttt allows complete customization of all these devices through google assistant. Sure I can download the app on iOS and tap it to initiate those function but being baked in is far above what Siri does. Then there’s getting answers from Siri. Anytime I ask something I get “here’s what I found on the web”. If I wanted a web search I could have initiated one. Why can’t she read the results?

Android auto puts CarPlay to shame, period.

iTunes syncing is still the disaster it was 10 years ago. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to sync my music properly. It kept naming songs based on some work group genre. I had to edit 19,323 songs so they would be listed by the song title and not the genre. My iTunes cloud somehow now has 31,000 songs even though I completely wiped it twice from the cloud. My artwork is a mess. I have to play each album for it to correctly display the artwork and change the album cover.

Display calibration is nonexistent on iOS.

$70 for a fast charger on a device that offers fast charging and was $1150 is a joke.

Samsung pay runs circles around Apple Pay. Samsung Pay works literally everywhere regardless of if the store offers nfc payments or not.

Notifications on iOS still aren’t grouped so my notification tray looks like a complete cluster$&?@.

The biggest disappointment in iOS to me is it looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Still no customization, still the same icons, same layout, same everything really. The design of the os has become stale. The only difference between all our phones is the wallpaper and ringtones. There’s absolutely no personalization.

Ip67 still. No dual Bluetooth. No dual sim options. No dark theme after it’s been begged for for years. No option to change default apps like music, browser, mail etc. No secure folder option. No guest mode. No VR. No multi-window mode.

These are just a few things Android has listened to users and given them. Apple gave us a stickers and Animojis.

Most of the stuff the x and others offer were done first on android. Features that android added and become the standard and allowed android to evolve into a competitor to Apple.

There’s more but I think you get the idea.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m liking the X. I’m using it to type this actually. But iOS hasn’t changed in 10 years. It’s become stagnant and needs a redesign from the ground up. iMessage is apples biggest selling point. If they ever release it for android they will lose tons of users.

I used Apple from 2009 until 2015. Coming back, I realize that beyond the cute little stuff my children like to play with (animojis) nothing has changed. Even windows has changed in the past 10 years. Why does Apple refuse to do so?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2016
Visit site

I AM a LONG time Android gal.... nothing would get me over to iOS....

Last year - after having LOTS of problems with my MS Surface 3 - I traded it in for a 12.9 iPad Pro. I LOVE it ( I have a 16gb - haha iPad Air 2 - was frustrated with the storage LOL)

I owned 2 Note 7's - so when I saw the Note 8 had a "good" battery - I pre-ordered. One thing I noticed that it was big and heavy (used Pixel XL for 1 year). But I found a very thin case that helped a lot. SO I had the 1st one delivered at my BB, liked it, but as time has gone on, I was very frustrated with it - several issues. In November I started researching fitness watches - the Apple Watch was my 4th one. I had reactions to the other 3 - this was the 1st one I could wear with no metal reaction etc. BUT I had a Note 8. I was using my Dad's extra iPhone.

SO a week ago - my decision came down to getting an iPhone SE (use like a remote) or the iPhone X... I took the X and the size is perfect. Sometimes I think the screen is a little too small, only 1/2" smaller than the Note 8. I did not want the 8's - hate the bezels.... So far I am doing ok on iOS for a phone. I still need to finish tweaking my screens - organizing the apps and figgering out some things. I have 1 more week to decide. But I am sure I am staying - I LOVE how it works with the Watch!!! :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

My company switched to Android devices this year and honestly I don't know why unless the carrier is offering something special to them. My iPhone 6 is eligible for an upgrade next year as they allow us to swap out every 2 years. Honestly I will likely keep my iPhone 6 and get the batter swapped out, there are things I miss about Android, but its easier to just use all iOS for work and personal.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Android has become far more stable and reliable than it was even 5 years ago. From battery life to features, it has evolved from a problematic and buggy software to a smooth running and reliable os.

Google assistant has completely changed the way any android device functions. Siri is still lacking basic functions such as being able to control smart home devices remotely. There’s no reason I need to buy a $150 Apple TV or an iPad to control my lights remotely by voice. It can’t even connect to my thermostat because it’s not the newest version. Instead of using manufacturer logins, like HomeKit should, it relies on pairing. Ifttt allows complete customization of all these devices through google assistant. Sure I can download the app on iOS and tap it to initiate those function but being baked in is far above what Siri does. Then there’s getting answers from Siri. Anytime I ask something I get “here’s what I found on the web”. If I wanted a web search I could have initiated one. Why can’t she read the results?

Android auto puts CarPlay to shame, period.

iTunes syncing is still the disaster it was 10 years ago. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to sync my music properly. It kept naming songs based on some work group genre. I had to edit 19,323 songs so they would be listed by the song title and not the genre. My iTunes cloud somehow now has 31,000 songs even though I completely wiped it twice from the cloud. My artwork is a mess. I have to play each album for it to correctly display the artwork and change the album cover.

Display calibration is nonexistent on iOS.

$70 for a fast charger on a device that offers fast charging and was $1150 is a joke.

Samsung pay runs circles around Apple Pay. Samsung Pay works literally everywhere regardless of if the store offers nfc payments or not.

Notifications on iOS still aren’t grouped so my notification tray looks like a complete cluster$&?@.

The biggest disappointment in iOS to me is it looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Still no customization, still the same icons, same layout, same everything really. The design of the os has become stale. The only difference between all our phones is the wallpaper and ringtones. There’s absolutely no personalization.

Ip67 still. No dual Bluetooth. No dual sim options. No dark theme after it’s been begged for for years. No option to change default apps like music, browser, mail etc. No secure folder option. No guest mode. No VR. No multi-window mode.

These are just a few things Android has listened to users and given them. Apple gave us a stickers and Animojis.

Most of the stuff the x and others offer were done first on android. Features that android added and become the standard and allowed android to evolve into a competitor to Apple.

There’s more but I think you get the idea.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m liking the X. I’m using it to type this actually. But iOS hasn’t changed in 10 years. It’s become stagnant and needs a redesign from the ground up. iMessage is apples biggest selling point. If they ever release it for android they will lose tons of users.

I used Apple from 2009 until 2015. Coming back, I realize that beyond the cute little stuff my children like to play with (animojis) nothing has changed. Even windows has changed in the past 10 years. Why does Apple refuse to do so?

Having experience on both, I totally agree with most of yours points. But I keep using my iPhone X more due to the experience, everything just works. If only iMessage was available on Android. Smartphones are about apps these days, and App experience is so much better on iOS than Android. Hardly any of the apps that I use provide experience that you get on iOS integration with face iD. Besides that apps just look and feel premium on iOS.

All amazing things Google are fully available on iOS, Never have I ever sat there and stared at my home screen on either iOS or Android. Basic things like using Bluetooth etc with cars works a lot better on iOS than Android.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Having experience on both, I totally agree with most of yours points. But I keep using my iPhone X more due to the experience, everything just works. If only iMessage was available on Android. Smartphones are about apps these days, and App experience is so much better on iOS than Android. Hardly any of the apps that I use provide experience that you get on iOS integration with face iD. Besides that apps just look and feel premium on iOS.

All amazing things Google are fully available on iOS, Never have I ever sat there and stared at my home screen on either iOS or Android. Basic things like using Bluetooth etc with cars works a lot better on iOS than Android.

I’m actually having the opposite experience with apps but it’s due solely to the manufacturer and the X screen. Most of my financial apps don’t fill the screen and look horrible. Eventually they will update the apps but for now it’s not fun to look at.

Bluetooth I agree completely. I get much better range on the X than the Note 8.

The biggest disappointment for me is Siri. Not being able to automate my home from my car is a big let down. With google I could tell android auto to open the garage door, turn on a group of lights and adjust the thermostat. With Siri I can’t do any of that at the moment. If I buy an Apple TV I could turn on the lights without being on my homes wifi but no garage, no thermostat unless I buy a newer one. So basically it would cost me another 350-400 for HomeKit to be useful.

Siri interaction is also very lacking. Yesterday I tried to play music stored on my phone and she kept playing Apple Music stations. Later I found out I had to say “play artist x in my library” to play onboard music. Then I tried to play “thirty seconds to mars” which is the proper way of labeling that band. Siri kept trying “30 seconds to mars” and couldn’t find any results. Tried it on my Note 8 and it worked fine.

Getting Siri results is also letdown. I ask for something and 90% of the time I get “here’s what I found on the web”. Google 90% of the time answers the question.

If I could remap siri to google assistant I’d be very happy. Like I said though, I’m liking the phone enough to keep it. I didn’t want it but being a gift, I’m giving it a fair shot. Plus I’m really sick of my wife complaining that I don’t have iMessage anymore.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

I’m actually having the opposite experience with apps but it’s due solely to the manufacturer and the X screen. Most of my financial apps don’t fill the screen and look horrible. Eventually they will update the apps but for now it’s not fun to look at.

Bluetooth I agree completely. I get much better range on the X than the Note 8.

The biggest disappointment for me is Siri. Not being able to automate my home from my car is a big let down. With google I could tell android auto to open the garage door, turn on a group of lights and adjust the thermostat. With Siri I can’t do any of that at the moment. If I buy an Apple TV I could turn on the lights without being on my homes wifi but no garage, no thermostat unless I buy a newer one. So basically it would cost me another 350-400 for HomeKit to be useful.

Siri interaction is also very lacking. Yesterday I tried to play music stored on my phone and she kept playing Apple Music stations. Later I found out I had to say “play artist x in my library” to play onboard music. Then I tried to play “thirty seconds to mars” which is the proper way of labeling that band. Siri kept trying “30 seconds to mars” and couldn’t find any results. Tried it on my Note 8 and it worked fine.

Getting Siri results is also letdown. I ask for something and 90% of the time I get “here’s what I found on the web”. Google 90% of the time answers the question.

If I could remap siri to google assistant I’d be very happy. Like I said though, I’m liking the phone enough to keep it. I didn’t want it but being a gift, I’m giving it a fair shot. Plus I’m really sick of my wife complaining that I don’t have iMessage anymore.

Yup my wife doesn't like it when my bubbles are green. Plus, having young kids, we exchange pictures and FHD videos, works flawlessly on iOS but Android compresses the heck out of videos so much that they're pixelated, that's if you get lucky sending one.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Yup my wife doesn't like it when my bubbles are green. Plus, having young kids, we exchange pictures and FHD videos, works flawlessly on iOS but Android compresses the heck out of videos so much that they're pixelated, that's if you get lucky sending one.

Yep, that’s exactly why she bought me the X lol. She knew I would give the new design a chance and anything to get me back on iOS made her happy. The video thing drove me nuts to be honest. Messages I didn’t really care about.

It is a really good phone and I do enjoy the form factor. Just wish some things weren’t so locked down.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The Note 8 is a beautiful phone. I had one for a few days. Finding a screen protector (I HAVE to have one) that didn’t affect sensitivity was a PITA though. I gave up and got a couple X’s. Not as exciting as the Note 8 but beautiful phones indeed.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

The Note 8 is a beautiful phone. I had one for a few days. Finding a screen protector (I HAVE to have one) that didn’t affect sensitivity was a PITA though. I gave up and got a couple X’s. Not as exciting as the Note 8 but beautiful phones indeed.

I have both. Always miss the one I’m not using.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

All those that praise the Note 8 and yes I have one, how long will it be before we get Oreo. This has long been an Achilles heel for Android.

sekelani

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

I picked one up the other day in JB hi fi and man, all I can say is it’s beautiful. The display is gorgeous, fast and huge. Wouldn’t mind swapping it for a week and see how it goes

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I picked one up the other day in JB hi fi and man, all I can say is it’s beautiful. The display is gorgeous, fast and huge. Wouldn’t mind swapping it for a week and see how it goes

I wouldn’t mind either, it’s too beautiful to not try out.