Speaker static at highest setting

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I got my X on Tuesday and I notice static coming from the ear piece when playing videos, listening to music or my ringtone goes off. I checked Google and it seems to be widespread and when a few were “lucky” enough to get replacements those did it too. I remember the iPhone 8 suffered from this and the issue was resolved by a firmware update but so far I haven’t seen Apple acknowledge this. Has anyone heard any news regarding a solution because a new device isn’t the answer it seems.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn’t acknowledged the issue as far as I know. Hopefully that doesn’t point to a hardware issue that can’t be fixed with a firmware patch.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Apple hasn’t acknowledged the issue as far as I know. Hopefully that doesn’t point to a hardware issue that can’t be fixed with a firmware patch.

That’s the tough part - the issue is so widespread that it would be a major issue. How widespread I don’t know but I’ve read a bunch of complaints.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone? I know there are plenty out there. Anyone here though?

I had this on my first iPhone X Silver. I since replaced it with another Silver device for a different reason, and the new device does not suffer from this. (The new one still has some degree of distortion but the distortion is in-line with what I would expect from crappy phone speakers.) I also have a Space Grey iPhone X that I just received and it has slightly clearer reproduction from the speakers than any of the phones I have used/use to date, but the difference between it and the Silver I currently use is marginal.

In summary, in my case the hardware swap took care of the major speaker issues.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I had this on my first iPhone X Silver. I since replaced it with another Silver device for a different reason, and the new device does not suffer from this. (The new one still has some degree of distortion but the distortion is in-line with what I would expect from crappy phone speakers.) I also have a Space Grey iPhone X that I just received and it has slightly clearer reproduction from the speakers than any of the phones I have used/use to date, but the difference between it and the Silver I currently use is marginal.

In summary, in my case the hardware swap took care of the major speaker issues.

The static I hear at the higher volumes isn’t like a blown speaker but rather a faint static. It’s there though and annoying but I’m not sure it’s really an issue in itself. Sounds like it’s just they’re letting the phone volume go higher than other iPhones and the speaker can’t handle it.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I just sent one back to Apple for repair. It seems the speaker might be blown. It has lots of static even just using it as an earpiece, and almost no sound, but still lots of static when using it as a speaker. I tried all the resets and restarts (even DFU) that Apple recommended, but still no luck, so I assume it is a hardware issue, not software.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I just sent one back to Apple for repair. It seems the speaker might be blown. It has lots of static even just using it as an earpiece, and almost no sound, but still lots of static when using it as a speaker. I tried all the resets and restarts (even DFU) that Apple recommended, but still no luck, so I assume it is a hardware issue, not software.

Did the replacement fix your issue? The static I experienced on my first device and now my replacement is within normal ranges. It’s not obvious but it’s there because I notice such little things. No worries in my case but hope yours is resolved.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Did the replacement fix your issue? The static I experienced on my first device and now my replacement is within normal ranges. It’s not obvious but it’s there because I notice such little things. No worries in my case but hope yours is resolved.

Yes, my replacement is 100% perfect now, clear and loud when needed, but no static at lower volumes either.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have my Settings>Music>EQ set to “Late Night” which is louder than the Loudness setting and it translates to alerts and video with no static at all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2