I got my X on Tuesday and I notice static coming from the ear piece when playing videos, listening to music or my ringtone goes off. I checked Google and it seems to be widespread and when a few were “lucky” enough to get replacements those did it too. I remember the iPhone 8 suffered from this and the issue was resolved by a firmware update but so far I haven’t seen Apple acknowledge this. Has anyone heard any news regarding a solution because a new device isn’t the answer it seems.
    12-02-2017 08:33 PM
    Anyone? I know there are plenty out there. Anyone here though?
    12-04-2017 09:10 PM
    Apple hasn’t acknowledged the issue as far as I know. Hopefully that doesn’t point to a hardware issue that can’t be fixed with a firmware patch.
    12-04-2017 09:26 PM
    Apple hasn’t acknowledged the issue as far as I know. Hopefully that doesn’t point to a hardware issue that can’t be fixed with a firmware patch.
    That’s the tough part - the issue is so widespread that it would be a major issue. How widespread I don’t know but I’ve read a bunch of complaints.
    12-04-2017 09:37 PM
    Anyone? I know there are plenty out there. Anyone here though?
    I had this on my first iPhone X Silver. I since replaced it with another Silver device for a different reason, and the new device does not suffer from this. (The new one still has some degree of distortion but the distortion is in-line with what I would expect from crappy phone speakers.) I also have a Space Grey iPhone X that I just received and it has slightly clearer reproduction from the speakers than any of the phones I have used/use to date, but the difference between it and the Silver I currently use is marginal.

In summary, in my case the hardware swap took care of the major speaker issues.
    12-05-2017 02:36 AM
    I had this on my first iPhone X Silver. I since replaced it with another Silver device for a different reason, and the new device does not suffer from this. (The new one still has some degree of distortion but the distortion is in-line with what I would expect from crappy phone speakers.) I also have a Space Grey iPhone X that I just received and it has slightly clearer reproduction from the speakers than any of the phones I have used/use to date, but the difference between it and the Silver I currently use is marginal.

In summary, in my case the hardware swap took care of the major speaker issues.
    The static I hear at the higher volumes isn’t like a blown speaker but rather a faint static. It’s there though and annoying but I’m not sure it’s really an issue in itself. Sounds like it’s just they’re letting the phone volume go higher than other iPhones and the speaker can’t handle it.
    12-05-2017 03:01 AM
    I just sent one back to Apple for repair. It seems the speaker might be blown. It has lots of static even just using it as an earpiece, and almost no sound, but still lots of static when using it as a speaker. I tried all the resets and restarts (even DFU) that Apple recommended, but still no luck, so I assume it is a hardware issue, not software.
    02-07-2018 12:21 PM