IOS 11.2 update broke Face ID

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I updated to IOS 11.2 just now, as my phone boots after the update, I get upgrade complete notification as well as a pop up saying “ Face ID is not available on this iPhone.” I reset Face ID thinking it might be some update bug, now I can’t setup use Face ID at all. Anyone else having issues?
e6b3ac595d1d8c4b0cc33000b5d9be45.jpg

Update: Fix
Rest Face ID, reset iPhone ( volume up, volume down, hold side button until Apple logo). Setup Face ID again. Bingo.

Last edited:

SHound

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
I really hope this gets fixed soon, but I am glad that it seems like it's not a hardware issue, since you are having the same exact issue as me after updating to 11.2. it would be annoying to have to replace my entire phone.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Fix:
Reset Face ID, then reset iPhone ( volume up, volume down, hold side button until Apple logo). Finally, Setup Face ID again. Bingo.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
The amount of problems people seem to be having with this phone is beyond a joke when you consider the money apple charge for this device! Most are software issues which will be sorted of course but i have never seen such a buggy phone ! ALOT of people have essentially paid over 1000 bucks for a device that doesn't function as it is supposed to! Its really starting to become apparent why so many people hate on Apple/Iphones

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Fix:
Rest Face ID, reset iPhone ( volume up, volume down, hold side button until Apple logo). Setup Face ID again. Bingo.

Feels like the number of bugs has gone up in the iOS releases. iOS 11 has been a disappointment to me with the number of issues I’ve seen across my phone and iPad.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for providing solutions! Rather than just complaining about your $1000 phone that should be perfect ;)

Sure. No one forced me to pay $1000+ for a phone. Would I do it again? Yes. In fact, a lot of new flagships are near that price range. You buy brand new Pixel or Note 8, they have their own list of problems.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just updated to 11.2... had the re-spring bug BAD... would re-spring every 10 secs... Had to do the iMore suggested fix of disabling all notifications in order to install 11.2.... But PHEW!!!! Don't have the FaceID bug fortunately... working as it did...

I REAAAAALLY hope Apple takes more precaution next time to avoid bugs... but it was handled about as quickly as could in this instance I guess...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The amount of problems people seem to be having with this phone is beyond a joke when you consider the money apple charge for this device! Most are software issues which will be sorted of course but i have never seen such a buggy phone ! ALOT of people have essentially paid over 1000 bucks for a device that doesn't function as it is supposed to! Its really starting to become apparent why so many people hate on Apple/Iphones

This phone? It's not the phone, it's in the OS. It's software. Apple fixes issues with software.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Updated to 11.2 and no issues with faceid at all. I wonder why some have issues when others don't. for those who have the issue what model phone do you have? A1901 (AT&T/T-Mo) or the other for Verizon/Sprint?

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I also updated without issue re: Face ID being broken/not working after the update (Sprint - A1865 model). Got lucky with the 11.1.2 respring issue as well (already had most, if not all, local notifications turned off on my X as a SOP of mine).