Who went from a Plus to an X?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Let's think about this here. Take a plus model and chop off the top and bottom bezels and imagine what u get. An iPhone X that is wider.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Let's think about this here. Take a plus model and chop off the top and bottom bezels and imagine what u get. An iPhone X that is wider.
I would put it differently:
Take a non Plus model, and add 1.5 icon-rows.
Then, imagine you can’t enlarge the display like you could on the non plus.
So you get a few more but (potentially) smaller icons, and a longer display that doesn’t fit the 16:9 standard that most modern videos are being produced in.
In return, it is a little smaller but thicker than the plus, or a little bigger but thicker than the non plus. On top of that, you get more laborious operations (closing apps, task switching, unlocking phone), a funny notch, obstructing the (admittedly very good OLED) display, and, well, FaceID, which for sure is great technology, but comes with yet unanswered potential security issues, which might be a concern for some.
At this stage, I don’t see the point in spending several hundreds of $$ more than for a plus, nor even for a non plus.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So you get a few more but (potentially) smaller icons, and a longer display that doesn’t fit the 16:9 standard that most modern videos are being produced in.
In return, it is a little smaller but thicker than the plus, or a little bigger but thicker than the non plus. On top of that, you get more laborious operations (closing apps, task switching, unlocking phone), a funny notch, obstructing the (admittedly very good OLED) display, and, well, FaceID, which for sure is great technology, but comes with yet unanswered potential security issues, which might be a concern for some.
At this stage, I don’t see the point in spending several hundreds of $$ more than for a plus, nor even for a non plus.

From what I’ve read, seen, and watched, the notch isn’t an issue for most people. Unfortunately the sensors for FaceID require the existence of the notch at this point. Switching directly between apps is literally just a swipe on the bottom of the screen. The fast app switcher isn’t terrible to get to if you know the fastest way to get to it is lower case r. Up and to the right. Closing apps is a mildly annoying, but it’s also not necessary most of the time. Security concerns are only because people don’t trust new technology. It’s already been proven to be ridiculous to beat unless you look quite similar to someone or go through the process of creating an absolutely eery perfect replica of someone’s face. Cost-wise, it’s a personal decision. I got it $300 off at T-Mobile and $699 isn’t too hard of a pill to swallow. It’s definitely a polarizing phone right now, and the biggest factor is the cost.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
From what I’ve read, seen, and watched, the notch isn’t an issue for most people. Unfortunately the sensors for FaceID require the existence of the notch at this point. Switching directly between apps is literally just a swipe on the bottom of the screen. The fast app switcher isn’t terrible to get to if you know the fastest way to get to it is lower case r. Up and to the right. Closing apps is a mildly annoying, but it’s also not necessary most of the time. Security concerns are only because people don’t trust new technology. It’s already been proven to be ridiculous to beat unless you look quite similar to someone or go through the process of creating an absolutely eery perfect replica of someone’s face. Cost-wise, it’s a personal decision. I got it $300 off at T-Mobile and $699 isn’t too hard of a pill to swallow. It’s definitely a polarizing phone right now, and the biggest factor is the cost.
I’m just getting into security, the other points are sources for endless debates here in other threads already. Just one point: ask those who said that the notch isn’t an issue for them. Would they prefer a display with or without a notch? I can’t imagine a single one explicitly wanting a notch. That is my point. I understand it is technologically needed, but why would I pay that much more for technology that brings some limited advantages, but on the other hand comes with something that most people would rather not want to exist? However, this is my personal preference, and I respect other opinions.

On security: I’m not talking about some Vietnamese attempts to hack FaceID by means of expensively and lavishly built silicone masks, but the fact that Apple is planning to open access to (parts of?) the FaceID data that is stored in the secured enclave to third parties, which nobody in the Apple community seems to be concerned of at this point. However, I am massively concerned, and this has not been responded to satisfyingly, as we speak.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’m just getting into security, the other points are sources for endless debates here in other threads already. Just one point: ask those who said that the notch isn’t an issue for them. Would they prefer a display with or without a notch? I can’t imagine a single one explicitly wanting a notch. That is my point. I understand it is technologically needed, but why would I pay that much more for technology that brings some limited advantages, but on the other hand comes with something that most people would rather not want to exist? However, this is my personal preference, and I respect other opinions.

On security: I’m not talking about some Vietnamese attempts to hack FaceID by means of expensively and lavishly built silicone masks, but the fact that Apple is planning to open access to (parts of?) the FaceID data that is stored in the secured enclave to third parties, which nobody in the Apple community seems to be concerned of at this point. However, I am massively concerned, and this has not been responded to satisfyingly, as we speak.

Of course everyone would love no notch. But it really only gets in the way with full screen video, which you have actually change to. As far as your security concern goes, I’m sure Apple has done the same with TouchID. My guess is what they are giving to others is what they always have, to allow third-party apps to use FaceID for security purposes. I’ll look into it since I haven’t yet. And yes, I understand not everyone wants the X for various reasons. I respect that too. Really, the camera array is only limited at the moment until more companies make use of it. Animoji is more of an exercise is functionality.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
As far as your security concern goes, I’m sure Apple has done the same with TouchID. My guess is what they are giving to others is what they always have, to allow third-party apps to use FaceID for security purposes.
Definitely not with TouchID. Those who use it for security purposes get identification information by use of a system service, provided by Apple, just telling them yes, identified, or not. Exactly the same with FaceID. Nobody gets data access for identification purposes.

What I’m referring to, is a completely different dimension, and this was announced by Apple, so I’m not making this up. Third parties will get access to (parts of?) FaceID data, not for security purposes, but to make use of it in their apps, eg augmented reality, avatars, and who knows what else for.

Yes Apple elaborated on how man legally binding documents these third parties will have to sign, to agree to not making improper use of that data, however, this is totally dissatisfying imho. Once my biometrical data got misused, I couldn’t care less if Apple wins a lawsuit on that or not. My data will be out there and circulate already, and I will not in a lifetime have a chance to do anything about that. Except plastic surgery maybe.

And, should this not be an issue, because of Apple being much smarter than me and everybody else, then I would expect more details on why. This has not happened yet, afaik.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not with TouchID. Those who use it for security purposes get identification information by use of a system service, provided by Apple, just telling them yes, identified, or not. Exactly the same with FaceID. Nobody gets data access for identification purposes.

What I’m referring to, is a completely different dimension, and this was announced by Apple, so I’m not making this up. Third parties will get access to (parts of?) FaceID data, not for security purposes, but to make use of it in their apps, eg augmented reality, avatars, and who knows what else for.

Yes Apple elaborated on how man legally binding documents these third parties will have to sign, to agree to not making improper use of that data, however, this is totally dissatisfying imho. Once my biometrical data got misused, I couldn’t care less if Apple wins a lawsuit on that or not. My data will be out there and circulate already, and I will not in a lifetime have a chance to do anything about that. Except plastic surgery maybe.

And, should this not be an issue, because of Apple being much smarter than me and everybody else, then I would expect more details on why. This has not happened yet, afaik.

Ok yes, I see what you’re saying. I touched on this already. It’s to really make use of the whole camera array system. To actively track your face. I’ll have to look into like I said.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

More laborious?

I’m sorry, that’s a real stretch. When I go back to my iPad and have to double tap to get into task switching where I’d be already done on the X, I don’t consider it ‘more laborious’.

If you don’t want to get the X, that’s fine, you do you. But some of those ‘reasons’ are a bit of hyperbole for the sake of justification.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
More laborious?

I’m sorry, that’s a real stretch. When I go back to my iPad and have to double tap to get into task switching where I’d be already done on the X, I don’t consider it ‘more laborious’.

If you don’t want to get the X, that’s fine, you do you. But some of those ‘reasons’ are a bit of hyperbole for the sake of justification.

X:
Swipe up & hold (or swipe up and to the right)
Tap & hold card
flick up card

Pre-X:
Double-klick home button
Flick up card

?

Last edited:

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Or X: swipe up and to the right, quicker.

Exactly.

Some of those reasons are really a reach. If you didn’t want to keep it that’s fine, but I spend at least 10 minutes daily wishing I had the X gestures on my iPad because I can’t stand the double click - it’s so slow.

In fact I’m using the X more and more for stuff I used to do on the iPad even with my 7 Plus (or 6S Plus, or 6 Plus) just because the gestures are so much faster now.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I had the X, next to the 8 and the 8+.
These are some of the reasons why I decided to stick to the legacy devices. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss whether or not people went from a plus to an X? Sorry for deviating from the mainstream opinion.

P.S. most of the issues I had with the X were SW related. Maybe if Apple decides to modify some of these, I’ll go for the X again next year.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I went from the 7 Plus to the X and don’t regret it. I’ve had every Plus model since the 6 (except the 8 Plus) and I’ve always wanted Apple to get rid of the top and bottom bezels. Now that they have, I couldn’t be any happier.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Exactly.

Some of those reasons are really a reach. If you didn’t want to keep it that’s fine, but I spend at least 10 minutes daily wishing I had the X gestures on my iPad because I can’t stand the double click - it’s so slow.

In fact I’m using the X more and more for stuff I used to do on the iPad even with my 7 Plus (or 6S Plus, or 6 Plus) just because the gestures are so much faster now.

Actually, you do have these gestures on the iPad since iOS 11. Why don’t you use them, instead of double-kicking?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I went from the 7 Plus to the X and don’t regret it. I’ve had every Plus model since the 6 (except the 8 Plus) and I’ve always wanted Apple to get rid of the top and bottom bezels. Now that they have, I couldn’t be any happier.

So have I
I’ve never been this happy and content with an iPhone before. I hope I won’t be tempted to get the bigger version next year.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you do have these gestures on the iPad since iOS 11. Why don’t you use them, instead of double-kicking?

I do, and it’s still slower than on the X. The double click is muscle memory.

And it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s SLOWER than on the X.

Just say you didn’t like it and returned it, but the “it’s soooooo labooooorious” is a real stretch.

Edit

And yes the thread is for people who went from the plus to the X - which is why I posted at all considering I’ve been exclusively Plus models since they were created, with the exception of the 8 Plus because the X was everything I’d waited for. When I have to do something on my JB 7 Plus (my husband has it now, and since he’s not techy I’m the one who does the updating and maintenance on it) it’s frustrating as heck to not have the gestures to get around.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox