I would put it differently:
    Take a non Plus model, and add 1.5 icon-rows.
    Then, imagine you can’t enlarge the display like you could on the non plus.
    So you get a few more but (potentially) smaller icons, and a longer display that doesn’t fit the 16:9 standard that most modern videos are being produced in.
    In return, it is a little smaller but thicker than the plus, or a little bigger but thicker than the non plus. On top of that, you get more laborious operations (closing apps, task switching, unlocking phone), a funny notch, obstructing the (admittedly very good OLED) display, and, well, FaceID, which for sure is great technology, but comes with yet unanswered potential security issues, which might be a concern for some.
    At this stage, I don’t see the point in spending several hundreds of $$ more than for a plus, nor even for a non plus.
    From what I’ve read, seen, and watched, the notch isn’t an issue for most people. Unfortunately the sensors for FaceID require the existence of the notch at this point. Switching directly between apps is literally just a swipe on the bottom of the screen. The fast app switcher isn’t terrible to get to if you know the fastest way to get to it is lower case r. Up and to the right. Closing apps is a mildly annoying, but it’s also not necessary most of the time. Security concerns are only because people don’t trust new technology. It’s already been proven to be ridiculous to beat unless you look quite similar to someone or go through the process of creating an absolutely eery perfect replica of someone’s face. Cost-wise, it’s a personal decision. I got it $300 off at T-Mobile and $699 isn’t too hard of a pill to swallow. It’s definitely a polarizing phone right now, and the biggest factor is the cost.
    12-03-2017 08:20 AM
    From what I’ve read, seen, and watched, the notch isn’t an issue for most people. Unfortunately the sensors for FaceID require the existence of the notch at this point. Switching directly between apps is literally just a swipe on the bottom of the screen. The fast app switcher isn’t terrible to get to if you know the fastest way to get to it is lower case r. Up and to the right. Closing apps is a mildly annoying, but it’s also not necessary most of the time. Security concerns are only because people don’t trust new technology. It’s already been proven to be ridiculous to beat unless you look quite similar to someone or go through the process of creating an absolutely eery perfect replica of someone’s face. Cost-wise, it’s a personal decision. I got it $300 off at T-Mobile and $699 isn’t too hard of a pill to swallow. It’s definitely a polarizing phone right now, and the biggest factor is the cost.
    I’m just getting into security, the other points are sources for endless debates here in other threads already. Just one point: ask those who said that the notch isn’t an issue for them. Would they prefer a display with or without a notch? I can’t imagine a single one explicitly wanting a notch. That is my point. I understand it is technologically needed, but why would I pay that much more for technology that brings some limited advantages, but on the other hand comes with something that most people would rather not want to exist? However, this is my personal preference, and I respect other opinions.

On security: I’m not talking about some Vietnamese attempts to hack FaceID by means of expensively and lavishly built silicone masks, but the fact that Apple is planning to open access to (parts of?) the FaceID data that is stored in the secured enclave to third parties, which nobody in the Apple community seems to be concerned of at this point. However, I am massively concerned, and this has not been responded to satisfyingly, as we speak.
    12-03-2017 09:06 AM
    I’m just getting into security, the other points are sources for endless debates here in other threads already. Just one point: ask those who said that the notch isn’t an issue for them. Would they prefer a display with or without a notch? I can’t imagine a single one explicitly wanting a notch. That is my point. I understand it is technologically needed, but why would I pay that much more for technology that brings some limited advantages, but on the other hand comes with something that most people would rather not want to exist? However, this is my personal preference, and I respect other opinions.

On security: I’m not talking about some Vietnamese attempts to hack FaceID by means of expensively and lavishly built silicone masks, but the fact that Apple is planning to open access to (parts of?) the FaceID data that is stored in the secured enclave to third parties, which nobody in the Apple community seems to be concerned of at this point. However, I am massively concerned, and this has not been responded to satisfyingly, as we speak.
    Of course everyone would love no notch. But it really only gets in the way with full screen video, which you have actually change to. As far as your security concern goes, I’m sure Apple has done the same with TouchID. My guess is what they are giving to others is what they always have, to allow third-party apps to use FaceID for security purposes. I’ll look into it since I haven’t yet. And yes, I understand not everyone wants the X for various reasons. I respect that too. Really, the camera array is only limited at the moment until more companies make use of it. Animoji is more of an exercise is functionality.
    12-03-2017 09:10 AM
    As far as your security concern goes, I’m sure Apple has done the same with TouchID. My guess is what they are giving to others is what they always have, to allow third-party apps to use FaceID for security purposes.
    Definitely not with TouchID. Those who use it for security purposes get identification information by use of a system service, provided by Apple, just telling them yes, identified, or not. Exactly the same with FaceID. Nobody gets data access for identification purposes.

What I’m referring to, is a completely different dimension, and this was announced by Apple, so I’m not making this up. Third parties will get access to (parts of?) FaceID data, not for security purposes, but to make use of it in their apps, eg augmented reality, avatars, and who knows what else for.

Yes Apple elaborated on how man legally binding documents these third parties will have to sign, to agree to not making improper use of that data, however, this is totally dissatisfying imho. Once my biometrical data got misused, I couldn’t care less if Apple wins a lawsuit on that or not. My data will be out there and circulate already, and I will not in a lifetime have a chance to do anything about that. Except plastic surgery maybe.

And, should this not be an issue, because of Apple being much smarter than me and everybody else, then I would expect more details on why. This has not happened yet, afaik.
    12-03-2017 09:46 AM
    Definitely not with TouchID. Those who use it for security purposes get identification information by use of a system service, provided by Apple, just telling them yes, identified, or not. Exactly the same with FaceID. Nobody gets data access for identification purposes.

What I’m referring to, is a completely different dimension, and this was announced by Apple, so I’m not making this up. Third parties will get access to (parts of?) FaceID data, not for security purposes, but to make use of it in their apps, eg augmented reality, avatars, and who knows what else for.

Yes Apple elaborated on how man legally binding documents these third parties will have to sign, to agree to not making improper use of that data, however, this is totally dissatisfying imho. Once my biometrical data got misused, I couldn’t care less if Apple wins a lawsuit on that or not. My data will be out there and circulate already, and I will not in a lifetime have a chance to do anything about that. Except plastic surgery maybe.

And, should this not be an issue, because of Apple being much smarter than me and everybody else, then I would expect more details on why. This has not happened yet, afaik.
    Ok yes, I see what you’re saying. I touched on this already. It’s to really make use of the whole camera array system. To actively track your face. I’ll have to look into like I said.
    12-03-2017 09:48 AM
    I would put it differently:
    Take a non Plus model, and add 1.5 icon-rows.
    Then, imagine you can’t enlarge the display like you could on the non plus.
    So you get a few more but (potentially) smaller icons, and a longer display that doesn’t fit the 16:9 standard that most modern videos are being produced in.
    In return, it is a little smaller but thicker than the plus, or a little bigger but thicker than the non plus. On top of that, you get more laborious operations (closing apps, task switching, unlocking phone), a funny notch, obstructing the (admittedly very good OLED) display, and, well, FaceID, which for sure is great technology, but comes with yet unanswered potential security issues, which might be a concern for some.
    At this stage, I don’t see the point in spending several hundreds of $$ more than for a plus, nor even for a non plus.
    More laborious?

I’m sorry, that’s a real stretch. When I go back to my iPad and have to double tap to get into task switching where I’d be already done on the X, I don’t consider it ‘more laborious’.

If you don’t want to get the X, that’s fine, you do you. But some of those ‘reasons’ are a bit of hyperbole for the sake of justification.
    12-03-2017 10:25 AM
    More laborious?

I’m sorry, that’s a real stretch. When I go back to my iPad and have to double tap to get into task switching where I’d be already done on the X, I don’t consider it ‘more laborious’.

If you don’t want to get the X, that’s fine, you do you. But some of those ‘reasons’ are a bit of hyperbole for the sake of justification.
    X:
    Swipe up & hold (or swipe up and to the right)
    Tap & hold card
    flick up card

Pre-X:
    Double-klick home button
    Flick up card

?
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 12-03-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added alternative switching method)
    12-03-2017 10:30 AM
    X:
    Swipe up & hold
    Tap & hold card
    flick up card

Pre-X:
    Double-klick home button
    Flick up card

?
    Or X: swipe up and to the right, quicker.
    reeneebob and TripleOne like this.
    12-03-2017 10:31 AM
    Or X: swipe up and to the right, quicker.
    Exactly.

Some of those reasons are really a reach. If you didn’t want to keep it that’s fine, but I spend at least 10 minutes daily wishing I had the X gestures on my iPad because I can’t stand the double click - it’s so slow.

In fact I’m using the X more and more for stuff I used to do on the iPad even with my 7 Plus (or 6S Plus, or 6 Plus) just because the gestures are so much faster now.
    12-03-2017 10:37 AM

I had the X, next to the 8 and the 8+.
    These are some of the reasons why I decided to stick to the legacy devices. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss whether or not people went from a plus to an X? Sorry for deviating from the mainstream opinion.

P.S. most of the issues I had with the X were SW related. Maybe if Apple decides to modify some of these, I’ll go for the X again next year.
    12-03-2017 10:46 AM
    I went from the 7 Plus to the X and don’t regret it. I’ve had every Plus model since the 6 (except the 8 Plus) and I’ve always wanted Apple to get rid of the top and bottom bezels. Now that they have, I couldn’t be any happier.
    12-03-2017 10:49 AM
    Exactly.

Some of those reasons are really a reach. If you didn’t want to keep it that’s fine, but I spend at least 10 minutes daily wishing I had the X gestures on my iPad because I can’t stand the double click - it’s so slow.

In fact I’m using the X more and more for stuff I used to do on the iPad even with my 7 Plus (or 6S Plus, or 6 Plus) just because the gestures are so much faster now.
    Actually, you do have these gestures on the iPad since iOS 11. Why don’t you use them, instead of double-kicking?
    12-03-2017 10:50 AM
    I went from the 7 Plus to the X and don’t regret it. I’ve had every Plus model since the 6 (except the 8 Plus) and I’ve always wanted Apple to get rid of the top and bottom bezels. Now that they have, I couldn’t be any happier.
    So have I
    I’ve never been this happy and content with an iPhone before. I hope I won’t be tempted to get the bigger version next year.
    ladyc0524 and zenjen like this.
    12-03-2017 10:54 AM
    So have I
    I’ve never been this happy and content with an iPhone before. I hope I won’t be tempted to get the bigger version next year.
    Lol me too.
    TripleOne and reeneebob like this.
    12-03-2017 10:55 AM
    Actually, you do have these gestures on the iPad since iOS 11. Why don’t you use them, instead of double-kicking?
    I do, and it’s still slower than on the X. The double click is muscle memory.

And it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s SLOWER than on the X.

Just say you didn’t like it and returned it, but the “it’s soooooo labooooorious” is a real stretch.

Edit

And yes the thread is for people who went from the plus to the X - which is why I posted at all considering I’ve been exclusively Plus models since they were created, with the exception of the 8 Plus because the X was everything I’d waited for. When I have to do something on my JB 7 Plus (my husband has it now, and since he’s not techy I’m the one who does the updating and maintenance on it) it’s frustrating as heck to not have the gestures to get around.
    12-03-2017 10:55 AM
    I do, and it’s still slower than on the X. The double click is muscle memory.

And it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s SLOWER than on the X.

Just say you didn’t like it and returned it, but the “it’s soooooo labooooorious” is a real stretch.

Edit

And yes the thread is for people who went from the plus to the X - which is why I posted at all considering I’ve been exclusively Plus models since they were created, with the exception of the 8 Plus because the X was everything I’d waited for. When I have to do something on my JB 7 Plus (my husband has it now, and since he’s not techy I’m the one who does the updating and maintenance on it) it’s frustrating as heck to not have the gestures to get around.
    For me too, the X was everything I’d waited for. I thought. But it didn’t deliver. I’m glad for you that for you it did.
    I’ve been upset since 11 was introduced, that they introduced (more) gestures on the iPad, but not on the pluses. It would be great to be able to flick upwards to go task switching or back to the menu.
    However, why the clumsy procedure to close apps on the X? Yes, to me this is soooooo laboooorious. Both the legacy devices and the X run on the same OS, why ALTERING a feature to make it worse, on ONE device? The explanation to prevent more users from closing apps at all is utterly ridiculous.
    I also get annoyed by the weight and the size of the plus, and got excited when the X got announced. Bigger screen than the plus, but overall almost as small as the non plus only? Didn’t that sound great?
    The more I got disappointed when figuring out that there was not really a bigger screen (not even equally sized, compared to the plus, this is also what many reviews say, the plus feels bigger, although in terms of square inches, the X might be bigger).
    There are some more issues that I’m having with the X, but I don’t want to over-stretch this thread.
    I’m happy for everybody who is happy with the X, I’m not. At least not in its current form.
    12-03-2017 11:35 AM
    Went from a 7 Plus to the X. Glad I made the move. Have had Pluses since the 6 but the device size always bothered me. Now I have almost the same screen realestate but with a device the size of a non-Plus. One handed use again and much more pocketable.

Embrace the notch!
    TripleOne likes this.
    12-03-2017 12:34 PM
    I've had all the Plus side models since the iPhone 6S. I only upgraded to the Plus models because of the camera specs, but the phones were always just to big for me. I've always wanted a phone that was inbetween the two sizes offered and the X is just perfect for me. I'm super happy with the fit in my hands and pockets. There are many rumors that Apple will re-introduce the Plus sizes next year, so you may want to hold or for that. Again, these are just roomies, so it may not happen. I just hope that they don't boost the camera specs on the Plus size because I don't want to go back to using a big phone. I wish they'll offer the different sizes, both with the same specs & features.
    TripleOne likes this.
    12-04-2017 12:20 AM
    I've had all the Plus side models since the iPhone 6S. I only upgraded to the Plus models because of the camera specs, but the phones were always just to big for me. I've always wanted a phone that was inbetween the two sizes offered and the X is just perfect for me. I'm super happy with the fit in my hands and pockets. There are many rumors that Apple will re-introduce the Plus sizes next year, so you may want to hold or for that. Again, these are just roomies, so it may not happen. I just hope that they don't boost the camera specs on the Plus size because I don't want to go back to using a big phone. I wish they'll offer the different sizes, both with the same specs & features.
    That’s what I’m hoping for.
    Hopefully, both sizes will offer the same features and specs.
    songbird likes this.
    12-04-2017 12:28 AM
    That’s what I’m hoping for.
    Hopefully, both sizes will offer the same features and specs.
    I'm hoping that they do! Have you decided to wait till next year or still trying to decide? Depending on your provider you can get the X on a monthly installment plan and upgrade again after paying 1/2 of the device cost or about a year.
    12-04-2017 12:36 AM
    I'm hoping that they do! Have you decided to wait till next year or still trying to decide? Depending on your provider you can get the X on a monthly installment plan and upgrade again after paying 1/2 of the device cost or about a year.
    I’ve been using the X since launch day
    But this might be the first time I upgrade to the smaller 5.8” instead of the bigger X next year.
    12-04-2017 06:42 AM
    I’m about 2 hours in to my X after the 8 plus. I come from the Android world and before my 8plus I had the Note 8. I love my big screens and I’m getting up in years and down in eyesight as well lol.

I had the LG G6 earlier this year and it was also a small phone with the big screen. I knew what I was getting into with the X, and I didn’t think I would like it. But I am pleasantly surprised so far. I still have my 8+ sitting right next to me and I’ve been doing comparisons all evening. I think I’m going to keep this. The ease-of-use in one hand and the loss of the wasted space of the bezels really are a compelling combination.

I don’t really notice the text being too small for me, but it is smaller for sure. I am going to hang onto my 8 plus for a few more days before I make a final decision but so far so good
    in the same boat. I LOVE the display on the X, but not in love with the size.
    I miss the split screen option in calendar & email that you get on the plus size phones.
    As my primary business device, it's definitely a subtraction of functionality and productivity.
    12-04-2017 04:45 PM
    I have the 6S+ and wanted to ask this same question. I am still debating between the 8+ and the X.
    12-04-2017 07:49 PM
    I came from 7 Plus and the X does feel smaller but easier to hold and type with one hand.

One of my colleague came from 5S and he said it felt big.
    12-04-2017 08:09 PM
    I have the 6S+ and wanted to ask this same question. I am still debating between the 8+ and the X.
    I may be going back to my iPhone 6+ & waiting for the larger size that will probably debut next year.
    ReVu30 likes this.
    12-04-2017 10:40 PM
51 123