App Switcher Annoyance

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an X, and I’m actually surprised that the lack of a home button has been as easy to get used to as it has been for me.

That being said, I don’t like the fact that I have to long press and then hit x’s to close apps in the app switcher.

Is there a reason I don’t know about for why it can’t be programmed to just flick up on the tile to close he app? I’m curious to see if I missed the reason it was designed as it is.

Oh and I apologize if this has been covered. I searched but didn’t come up with anything, but that could be because I didn’t search the right words haha.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You can swipe to close, it’s not apparent though. Fastest way to open the app switcher is to swipe up and to the right. Then you still have to long press to bring up the x’s, but from there you can swipe up to close the apps. You can’t just swipe right away because that’s the home screen gesture. Yeah it’s a little annoying, but I can live with it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The good news is you generally only need to force close apps if they’re misbehaving. But yes, it’s slightly annoying. The only reason I can think of as to why Apple did this is that they felt users would keep confusing the swipe to close gesture from app switcher with the new swipe to home gesture. I personally think they could have kept it the same.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the insight! I had no idea that you could flick apps away after the long press. That’s great!

And yea, it’s not really a deal breaker just a minor annoyance.

Thanks again!

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
As others mentioned, once you're in the "close mode" you can actually swipe up on the cards to close them. Having said that, the issue that I have is that sometimes the carousel gesture animation is too slow and the edit mode isn't active by the time I am ready to swipe, which ends up swiping up and exiting the carousel. I would like if Apple restored the traditional functionality. I don't think that there is any risk of swiping home instead of swiping an app away, because the swipe gesture starts at an entirely different location on the screen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2