Should I order the X?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What made it cumbersome to you? Just curious
2nd-gen Touch ID works much, much better for me than Face ID. Face ID will catch my face in weird positions but won’t if I have my phone around sternum-level. When I start punching in the passcode it all of a sudden unlocks before I finish the passcode. Would happen like 10 times a day and I used two X’s.

The tech for Face ID and it works great in execution. But getting to it is a chore, honestly.

Edit: The most annoying thing of all was when I would get a notification and want to read it on the lockscreen and holding the phone in the most perfect position so Face ID can reveal the notification, and the phone makes me put it in all these different positions to make it unlock. Just makes me feel like a schmuck.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
2nd-gen Touch ID works much, much better for me than Face ID. Face ID will catch my face in weird positions but won’t if I have my phone around sternum-level. When I start punching in the passcode it all of a sudden unlocks before I finish the passcode. Would happen like 10 times a day and I used two X’s.

The tech for Face ID and it works great in execution. But getting to it is a chore, honestly.

Edit: The most annoying thing of all was when I would get a notification and want to read it on the lockscreen and holding the phone in the most perfect position so Face ID can reveal the notification, and the phone makes me put it in all these different positions to make it unlock. Just makes me feel like a schmuck.

Must have a weird shaped face all jokes aside I’ve had similar issues with the phone not recognizing from certain angles but I’m at the point right now where my phone can be on the arm of my couch and when I glance at it the notifications show up. I even shaved a huge down to my neck beard off and it recognized me no problem. Admittedly it was a bit frustrating at first but it resolved itself quickly.

I had the opposite experience with Touch ID on my 7plus. I work with my hands and I can’t tell you how many times it wouldn’t recognize my thumbs. I probably put my password in more than it worked for me.

The true test for me will be this weekend when I go duck hunting we will see how well the Face ID works with a mask and face paint.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
If I could go back, I’d keep the 8 Plus and not get the X. You don’t really get much more out of the X than the 8 Plus. Gestures, FaceID, and smaller bezels aren’t worth the added price tag, IMO, since you’ll be sacrificing battery life on the X vs the 8 Plus.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree. it's been a small learning curve for me, but I think the X is just so much smoother than any other iPhone experience