Iphone x A1901 V A1865

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Something i did not know about the iphone x is that it seemingly comes with 3 different model numbers? The two i give in the title are allegedly the two main models. Obviously i did a quick google search and essentially learned that one has a qualcom chip while the other has intel. Seemingly the Qualcom chip is superior but iam at a loss as to why one would have an inferior chip and what does this actually mean with regards user experience?

The company i generally order from list the iphone x as the A1901 model which has the intel chip. Iam wondering what am i missing out on by not having the Qualcom chip?

Can anyone explain?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Something i did not know about the iphone x is that it seemingly comes with 3 different model numbers? The two i give in the title are allegedly the two main models. Obviously i did a quick google search and essentially learned that one has a qualcom chip while the other has intel. Seemingly the Qualcom chip is superior but iam at a loss as to why one would have an inferior chip and what does this actually mean with regards user experience?

The company i generally order from list the iphone x as the A1901 model which has the intel chip. Iam wondering what am i missing out on by not having the Qualcom chip?

Can anyone explain?

While I know that this will elicit a flood of "I have no problems" responses, yes, there appears to be a flaw currently on the A1901 model that uses the Intel modem. This model seems to have issues with LTE dropouts as it does not appear to be able to correctly switch between towers in all instances. It also has a tendency to hang onto a low signal too long, to the point where LTE will just stop working and has difficulty switching between 3G and LTE (both step-down and step-up). Obviously depending on the network and the coverage in a given area, the problem will be better or worse, and most may not notice this unless they are actively on their phone utilizing the cellular network for multiple hours per day (most are not since most data plans are limited and this does not affect Wi-Fi, only cellular LTE). I personally have unlimited data and am on cellular all the time, never on Wi-Fi, plus I am actively on my phone 4-5 hours per day, every day.

The A1901 is also not a true global phone because it will not work with any CDMA carriers like Verizon, Sprint, or China Telecom. The A1865 is a true global phone and on top of it all it uses a proven Qualcomm modem instead of the problematic Intel one.

I would strongly recommend buying an unlocked A1865 if you can at all, and staying away from the A1901.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AT&T & T-Mobile = A1901
Verizon & Sprint = A1865

Verizon is unlocked. Sprint is carrier locked.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you buy your phone at Walmart/sams club/bestbuy/target they sell the universal A1865 model.

That’s what I did. Unlocked it with old Verizon SIM card and then stuck my att SIM card in it after iTunes said my iPhone as successfully unlocked. Thinking about switch to T-Mobile beginning of the year so wanted to be flexible.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The A1901 is also not a true global phone because it will not work with any CDMA carriers like Verizon, Sprint, or China Telecom.
That in and of itself is not a negative. How many people you know travel the world? Heck a majority of people never even leave their state. I’d argue that people who are using a CDMA carrier only cares about price and reliability.
The A1865 is a true global phone and on top of it all it uses a proven Qualcomm modem instead of the problematic Intel one.
Problematic? To whom? How many people outside of tech forums even know about or even care about having an Intel or Qualcomm modem? I argue that less it’s less than 1%.

I would strongly recommend buying an unlocked A1865 if you can at all, and staying away from the A1901.
That’s crazy! You’re making that recommendation without giving any thought to people’s wireless needs and circumstances. On top of that, you’re assuming that everyone with an Intel modem is unhappy and having problems with it and that’s far from being true. It’s okay to educate people on the differences, but once you inject your personal preference and then state that it should be the preferred choice, you’ve gone from educating to dictating.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro