How many iPhone X’s have you Spotted ‘Out In The Wild’?

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Well MKBHD did a good video on the "notch" -- while Android may follow it he believes the notch is more there from Apple due to limitations with today's hardware. Such as Apple would love to have all that stuff under the screen and no notch but they can't do that yet so they put a notch to reduce the side bezels. It made perfect sense on why it happened.

I get that for sure, but I don't understand why Android still have to follow it, if only just to be like Apple. They could have continued with the way Samsung rolls, just as thin as you can get it up top without having to cut into the screen.

It really reminds me of a scene in the movie Mean Girls when they try to prank the main "mean girl" by cutting holes into her shirt right at her breasts, and then this inspires the rest of the girls in the school to do the exact same thing, even if it looks ridiculous.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I get that for sure, but I don't understand why Android still have to follow it, if only just to be like Apple. They could have continued with the way Samsung rolls, just as thin as you can get it up top without having to cut into the screen.

It really reminds me of a scene in the movie Mean Girls when they try to prank the main "mean girl" by cutting holes into her shirt right at her breasts, and then this inspires the rest of the girls in the school to do the exact same thing, even if it looks ridiculous.

They would follow it for more screen to body ratio (a.k.a less bezels) since the market screams for less bezels. Only way to do that is to reduce them. Once they are reduced where do the sensors go? The notch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was at a Chick-fil-A for lunch today and saw a guy sitting two tables in front of me texting on his iPhone X.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

To be fair, an Android phone had a notch first (the Essential PH-1). ;)

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
To be fair, an Android phone had a notch first (the Essential PH-1). ;)

Ugh...I really hated that phone. So buggy, and the build quality (at least the one I had) was a mess, with some sort of rubber sealing coming out from the edges all around the screen. But yeah, it did have a notch, although theirs was used strictly as a front cam and that's it.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ugh...I really hated that phone. So buggy, and the build quality (at least the one I had) was a mess, with some sort of rubber sealing coming out from the edges all around the screen. But yeah, it did have a notch, although theirs was used strictly as a front cam and that's it.

Yeah I just didn't trust it due to being a new dev. I want to be optimistic but I also like a good camera on my phone and I feared the Essential wouldn't deliver.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Interestingly, I really love the phone -- just not as much as my iPhone X. Of course, I didn't get mine until December, buying a new one at a bargain basement price (Sprint was actually good for something, for once ;) ). My build quality seemed pretty perfect, as good or better as my iPhone X.

I did notice the lags and freezing, for a few days, and then I got software updates and it has run great since. The update to Android 8.1 improved it further. The camera, which was a major issue at release, has gone from mediocre after the updates at the end of last year, to actually pretty good (though not iPhone X quality) with the most recent updates.

I'll be interested to see a PH-2; hopefully they'll fix the bugs before they release it this time.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Interestingly, I really love the phone -- just not as much as my iPhone X. Of course, I didn't get mine until December, buying a new one at a bargain basement price (Sprint was actually good for something, for once ;) ). My build quality seemed pretty perfect, as good or better as my iPhone X.

I did notice the lags and freezing, for a few days, and then I got software updates and it has run great since. The update to Android 8.1 improved it further. The camera, which was a major issue at release, has gone from mediocre after the updates at the end of last year, to actually pretty good (though not iPhone X quality) with the most recent updates.

I'll be interested to see a PH-2; hopefully they'll fix the bugs before they release it this time.

Hmm, well that's good to know. You haven't had problems with reception either? I had some trouble with that as well on T-Mobile. Not to the point where it was un-usable, but I had a far weaker signal than any other phone I had tested.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, well that's good to know. You haven't had problems with reception either? I had some trouble with that as well on T-Mobile. Not to the point where it was un-usable, but I had a far weaker signal than any other phone I had tested.

I had one instance, while the phone was on Sprint, where I lost signal -- though I can't say if that was a Sprint dead spot or a phone issue. Other than that, including on T-Mobile, I haven't really noticed an issue -- though again, it isn't my primary phone so I've not had as much experience when I've depending on the signal.

From what I can tell, Essential has had an issue with quality control -- things like the extra rubber on your phone and some claim (though they could be trolls, or just need to reset the phone) that they are still having issues. With the phone being made of Titanium and Ceramic, I have wondered if some of the phones didn't get the antenna positioned quite right -- the extra rubber sealer may be a sign of that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My dad got an iPhone X today. I haven’t seen a lot of them but that’s because I don’t use public transport as much as before.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
After hardly seeing any over the last 5-6 months, I saw 5 people with them within about 30 minutes while at Target yesterday. I wasn't really looking until I saw the 3rd one and then I started paying attention. It's a little easier to spot phones in store when people are using them for shppping lists or texting while walking into displays. lol.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Saw lots of people with them at a baseball game on Friday. Only noticed when everyone was holding them up taking pictures/videos. Oh and someone with one asked me where I got my case, which is actually a skin with a clear case over it.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
0569d2597359c6199e7922e6ad84ffaf.jpg

Was in Seattle yesterday, beautiful city, but I saw a bunch of X's there and at airport.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods