Well MKBHD did a good video on the "notch" -- while Android may follow it he believes the notch is more there from Apple due to limitations with today's hardware. Such as Apple would love to have all that stuff under the screen and no notch but they can't do that yet so they put a notch to reduce the side bezels. It made perfect sense on why it happened.
    I get that for sure, but I don't understand why Android still have to follow it, if only just to be like Apple. They could have continued with the way Samsung rolls, just as thin as you can get it up top without having to cut into the screen.

It really reminds me of a scene in the movie Mean Girls when they try to prank the main "mean girl" by cutting holes into her shirt right at her breasts, and then this inspires the rest of the girls in the school to do the exact same thing, even if it looks ridiculous.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-03-2018 12:44 PM
    I get that for sure, but I don't understand why Android still have to follow it, if only just to be like Apple. They could have continued with the way Samsung rolls, just as thin as you can get it up top without having to cut into the screen.

It really reminds me of a scene in the movie Mean Girls when they try to prank the main "mean girl" by cutting holes into her shirt right at her breasts, and then this inspires the rest of the girls in the school to do the exact same thing, even if it looks ridiculous.
    They would follow it for more screen to body ratio (a.k.a less bezels) since the market screams for less bezels. Only way to do that is to reduce them. Once they are reduced where do the sensors go? The notch.
    05-03-2018 12:48 PM
    I was at a Chick-fil-A for lunch today and saw a guy sitting two tables in front of me texting on his iPhone X.
    Frehley likes this.
    05-03-2018 05:37 PM
    I was at a Chick-fil-A for lunch today and saw a guy sitting two tables in front of me texting on his iPhone X.
    The Chikfila part got my attention....
    Just_Me_D and Frehley like this.
    05-03-2018 06:47 PM
    The Chikfila part got my attention....
    (Laughing)....That’s a good one!
    Frehley likes this.
    05-03-2018 07:14 PM
    Saw one at work today...the Board of Directors was in the house and saw one in the cafeteria.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    05-04-2018 05:33 PM

To be fair, an Android phone had a notch first (the Essential PH-1).
    05-04-2018 10:52 PM
    To be fair, an Android phone had a notch first (the Essential PH-1).
    Ugh...I really hated that phone. So buggy, and the build quality (at least the one I had) was a mess, with some sort of rubber sealing coming out from the edges all around the screen. But yeah, it did have a notch, although theirs was used strictly as a front cam and that's it.
    05-05-2018 12:12 AM
    Ugh...I really hated that phone. So buggy, and the build quality (at least the one I had) was a mess, with some sort of rubber sealing coming out from the edges all around the screen. But yeah, it did have a notch, although theirs was used strictly as a front cam and that's it.
    Yeah I just didn't trust it due to being a new dev. I want to be optimistic but I also like a good camera on my phone and I feared the Essential wouldn't deliver.
    05-05-2018 12:58 AM
    I see tons of ‘em in NYC. It’s like every fourth person has one. I even saw a few kids with ‘em.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    05-05-2018 05:35 AM
    I see tons of ‘em in NYC. It’s like every fourth person has one. I even saw a few kids with ‘em.
    Dang.. nice parents :P.
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    05-05-2018 10:06 AM
    Dang.. nice parents :P.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Almeuit and Just_Me_D like this.
    05-05-2018 10:08 AM
    Interestingly, I really love the phone -- just not as much as my iPhone X. Of course, I didn't get mine until December, buying a new one at a bargain basement price (Sprint was actually good for something, for once ). My build quality seemed pretty perfect, as good or better as my iPhone X.

I did notice the lags and freezing, for a few days, and then I got software updates and it has run great since. The update to Android 8.1 improved it further. The camera, which was a major issue at release, has gone from mediocre after the updates at the end of last year, to actually pretty good (though not iPhone X quality) with the most recent updates.

I'll be interested to see a PH-2; hopefully they'll fix the bugs before they release it this time.
    05-05-2018 12:38 PM
    Interestingly, I really love the phone -- just not as much as my iPhone X. Of course, I didn't get mine until December, buying a new one at a bargain basement price (Sprint was actually good for something, for once ). My build quality seemed pretty perfect, as good or better as my iPhone X.

I did notice the lags and freezing, for a few days, and then I got software updates and it has run great since. The update to Android 8.1 improved it further. The camera, which was a major issue at release, has gone from mediocre after the updates at the end of last year, to actually pretty good (though not iPhone X quality) with the most recent updates.

I'll be interested to see a PH-2; hopefully they'll fix the bugs before they release it this time.
    Hmm, well that's good to know. You haven't had problems with reception either? I had some trouble with that as well on T-Mobile. Not to the point where it was un-usable, but I had a far weaker signal than any other phone I had tested.
    05-05-2018 12:45 PM
    Hmm, well that's good to know. You haven't had problems with reception either? I had some trouble with that as well on T-Mobile. Not to the point where it was un-usable, but I had a far weaker signal than any other phone I had tested.
    I had one instance, while the phone was on Sprint, where I lost signal -- though I can't say if that was a Sprint dead spot or a phone issue. Other than that, including on T-Mobile, I haven't really noticed an issue -- though again, it isn't my primary phone so I've not had as much experience when I've depending on the signal.

From what I can tell, Essential has had an issue with quality control -- things like the extra rubber on your phone and some claim (though they could be trolls, or just need to reset the phone) that they are still having issues. With the phone being made of Titanium and Ceramic, I have wondered if some of the phones didn't get the antenna positioned quite right -- the extra rubber sealer may be a sign of that.
    Vega007 likes this.
    05-05-2018 12:53 PM
    My dad got an iPhone X today. I haven’t seen a lot of them but that’s because I don’t use public transport as much as before.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    05-09-2018 04:07 PM
    After hardly seeing any over the last 5-6 months, I saw 5 people with them within about 30 minutes while at Target yesterday. I wasn't really looking until I saw the 3rd one and then I started paying attention. It's a little easier to spot phones in store when people are using them for shppping lists or texting while walking into displays. lol.
    ladyc0524 and nikkisharif like this.
    05-15-2018 10:06 AM
    Saw lots of people with them at a baseball game on Friday. Only noticed when everyone was holding them up taking pictures/videos. Oh and someone with one asked me where I got my case, which is actually a skin with a clear case over it.
    05-15-2018 01:12 PM

Was in Seattle yesterday, beautiful city, but I saw a bunch of X's there and at airport.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    05-15-2018 02:25 PM
    Spotted one just now at my kids swim school/class
    05-15-2018 05:25 PM
    Spotted two moments ago at my daughters gymnastics
    Last edited by Jbrown99; 05-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    05-19-2018 08:15 AM
    I’ve spotted plenty of X’s in the wild for the past few months.
    05-21-2018 11:27 PM
    4 on a local IT conference (people were from the same team ). None in the wild world. I think people are just taking them to some meetings instead of a Swiss watch as they have Apple Watch now
    05-22-2018 04:17 PM
    My wife and I went out for breakfast this morning and I heard the waitress and a guest both complaining how they don't like the X, they found gestures and FaceID complicated and not what hey had hoped. Well, they need to get used to the new world order since that's the way it will be going forward and gestures are not that hard to get used to.

Though you do get 14 days to try and return, I would think you could decide in that time if you really found it that annoying. My wife has the 6S Plus and hated the fake touchID on the 7/8 series and my work phone is a 6 so I go back and forth without issue.

Still I don't see very many X's in public I am actually starting to see a lot of Samsungs in my area.
    06-02-2018 08:28 PM
    My wife has the 6S Plus and hated the fake touchID on the 7/8 series and my work phone is a 6 so I go back and forth without issue.

Still I don't see very many X's in public I am actually starting to see a lot of Samsungs in my area.
    I thought I was gonna hate the non-clicky Touch ID, but I ended up loving it as long as I had the feedback at the highest level.

Yeah, I mostly see mid-range Samsungs, 7 series and older iPhones, along with a smattering of higher end Samsung and 8 series iPhones and Xs. A few years ago even my non-techy friends always wanted the latest and greatest, but that seems to have slowed down. Now most of my friends just want something that works.
    06-03-2018 06:53 AM
227 ... 78910