Negative iPhone X reviews

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been reading or watching a bunch of the negative reviews on the iPhone X (just to see what those with differing opinions think) and it seems to me that a lot of the complaints (aside from the notch and the price) are people just digging for something. Here are a few actual review complaints I’ve encountered:

1. Phone is too heavy. Really? Sure, it’s an ounce heavier than an iPhone 8 but it’s an ounce lighter than the plus models. Perhaps someone needs to work out a little.

2. Have to swipe up after unlocking. I suppose I can understand this one but I actually prefer it the way it is. I don’t want my phone to go to the home screen every time I check a notification.

3. Face ID takes too long to unlock, even though in their videos it’s unlocked by the time they finish the swipe. I agree that it’s slower than the fingerprint scanner, but to say it’s too slow when you can swipe and be on the home screen in one motion seems like they’re reaching for that one.

4. Battery percentage doesn’t show on main screen. I prefer percentage over the battery picture too, but this just seems like a nitpick, especially since it’s visible with a quick swipe down.

5. Closing apps from multitasking takes too long now, and the gesture “takes practice” to learn. Are we really to believe that someone is that busy that an extra half second to hold a screen before flicking apps closed is costing them precious time?

6. Apple is acting like they are the first to offer whatever features are on their newest phones. This one has been a common complaint for years, even though we all know that Apple doesn’t concern themselves with being first with features. They just worry about being the best.

I understand that some things are a matter of opinion but I can’t help but to read/watch these reviews and feel like these people are really stretching. I guess hating on Apple is just the “cool” thing to do.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Eh...I can understand numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5. Those don't seem like nitpicking. Although they aren't deal breakers for me...I can understand the grievances.

Number 2 is one that I don't agree with, personally though. I like it the way it is. I'd rather not have my phone unlock everytime I look at it.

Number 3, I wouldn't say it takes too long. I'd just say it takes longer than Touch ID sometimes. Which can be frustrating. Sometimes it's quicker than others.

Number 4 I got over after a day. I enjoy seeing the percentage and yes, having to swipe down is an extra step that we didn't have before. But oh well. It is what it is.

Number 5, I don't really close out of apps to care as much about this one. And sometimes it can do more harm than good. But I don't understand why Apple would add an extra step for something. Seems counter-intuitive.

Overall, I don't have any issues with the majority of the points you brought up. They are valid complaints for some. Again, it's not enough that I would avoid purchasing the phone. But they are key differences in the way we now use our iPhone X's compared to how we've used previous models. Change can be hard for some.

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, the only thing I am struggling with after using this phone for a full day is... after Face ID unlocks my phone, I have to reach my thumb all the way down to the bottom to swipe up. This is of course if I am only using one hand. If I could swipe from the middle.. would be much easier.. I guess I have short fingers.

I would say Face ID is almost 100% successful for me... But my attempts to swipe from the bottom with my thumb... I have to almost always attempt twice when holding the phone with one hand.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Reachability also isn't nearly as easy to use as it was previously. At times I have to swipe several times to get it to recognize. Kind of frustrating considering I used that feature all the time on previous devices.

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Reachability also isn't nearly as easy to use as it was previously. At times I have to swipe several times to get it to recognize. Kind of frustrating considering I used that feature all the time on previous devices.

Yes, I noticed that as well.. There is a real sweet spot you have to hit to get it to function...

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
5 was a deal breaker for me. And the task switching which I found confusing. And that it did not support enlarged display(which works on the 7/8, even on the + versions!). And that I found watching videos on a + much more natural and pleasant (no notch, "larger" display). And the waste of space,eg with the keyboard. And that the screen is basically just one icon row longer, but not wider than the 7/8, so what is the point of more square inches than the +?
So I went from X to 8+. Maybe I'll try again once the software related issues get straightened out.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Reachability hasn’t been a problem for me, but I do have big paws and I find the iPhone X easy to use one handed and I haven’t had any issues reaching to the top to pull down the notifications.

So far, this is the best iPhone I have had and don’t regret my purchase one bit and I have shown it to several folks and after they have played with it, most have went out and bought one.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Personally i think the negative reviews come from the fact its so over priced! Im not an iphone x owner YET (considering it) but its a little concerning that it gets so much criticism! I have no doubt its a great device and if it was priced fairly then i feel people might over look some of the "annoyances" but because its so expensive people are expecting it to be perfect and the reality is its not!

Where i come from. The samsung S8 (what i currently use) retails for around 700 bucks average and can be had for less in some stores! Its highly rated and certainly from my experience it never got the criticism that the iphone x is getting! Now if Samsung's asking price was that of the iphone x then it most likely would have had alot more complaints etc

For me to purchase an iphone x will cost me 1350 bucks which is virtually the price of 2x S8's. That is madness. Both phones are as good as each other in my opinion. Neither device is significantly better then the other. Its literally a matter of taste and which experience you prefer! However, Apple charge double the price and thats why iphone x is being so heavily criticised by so many people!

The fact Apple do not include a fast charger and expect you to pay extra for that also just really makes me hate them but thats for another discussion i guess!

Over all i think the iphone x is a very good device. No device is perfect and every device will have something you dislike about it! Its only when you factor in the cost to own one that you really begin to criticise in my view!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
By the way the reason iam considering the iphone x is not because i feel its worth it. I feel its as good as the s8 hardware wise and i just want to change ultimately as i have been android for years! I personally like the design and whilst i havent held the x in my hand. I have seen it in videos etc and the notch doesnt seem like a big deal to me. I just need to figure out if iam willing to pay double the price for a phone just for the sake of trying out a new experience! I know its not worth the price tag and that i will feel apple have robbed me if i buy let alone it breaks my heart that i have to pay extra for a bloody fast charger but for some reason i just feel i want to give it a go

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to 2017! An ounce and a milliseconds difference is such a big thing to some people. Learn to grow some muscles and add a milliseconds of your patience and you should be fine with iPhone X Apple is done being the first. They are for being the best.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
There’s no such thing as a perfect phone in this world.
But let me tell you this, it is the best iPhone I’ve ever owned and I’m very satisfied with it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You cannot please everyone.
$1149 USD is the most I paid for any phone to date. Actually if you think about it back in the days with two year contracts and subsidized phones, total cost of ownership on those devices was higher. I paid cash in full for mine but I suppose I'm still behind as I do have to use it on a cellular plan, right? Well not really because I use it for work and they are paying for the unlimited service on T-Mobile.

Anyhow, as a semi professional photographer I will say having the second camera equipped with hardware IS makes this phone THE best iPhone, hands down! That was the biggest disappointment in the 8+ NOT having a stabilized "zoom" lens. This was painfully obvious when shooting video. The Note 8 was a clear winner over the 8+ in that category.

Adding in 4K60 seals the deal. Now that Filmic Pro supports the X and 4K60 Filmic Ultra mode, I literally have the best UHD shooter with me at all times in my pocket. $1149 is a pure bargain when this is considered. And I can call people with it! :D

I've become so adjusted to the gestures now when I pick up other iOS devices and Android devices I'm finding myself swiping up to close apps!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been reading or watching a bunch of the negative reviews on the iPhone X (just to see what those with differing opinions think) and it seems to me that a lot of the complaints (aside from the notch and the price) are people just digging for something. Here are a few actual review complaints I’ve encountered:

1. Phone is too heavy. Really? Sure, it’s an ounce heavier than an iPhone 8 but it’s an ounce lighter than the plus models. Perhaps someone needs to work out a little.

2. Have to swipe up after unlocking. I suppose I can understand this one but I actually prefer it the way it is. I don’t want my phone to go to the home screen every time I check a notification.

3. Face ID takes too long to unlock, even though in their videos it’s unlocked by the time they finish the swipe. I agree that it’s slower than the fingerprint scanner, but to say it’s too slow when you can swipe and be on the home screen in one motion seems like they’re reaching for that one.

4. Battery percentage doesn’t show on main screen. I prefer percentage over the battery picture too, but this just seems like a nitpick, especially since it’s visible with a quick swipe down.

5. Closing apps from multitasking takes too long now, and the gesture “takes practice” to learn. Are we really to believe that someone is that busy that an extra half second to hold a screen before flicking apps closed is costing them precious time?

6. Apple is acting like they are the first to offer whatever features are on their newest phones. This one has been a common complaint for years, even though we all know that Apple doesn’t concern themselves with being first with features. They just worry about being the best.

I understand that some things are a matter of opinion but I can’t help but to read/watch these reviews and feel like these people are really stretching. I guess hating on Apple is just the “cool” thing to do.

Excellent, and thank you for sharing it. Those gripes are all nitpicks and there will always be nitpicks, in my opinion. Yet, those same people probably still use the iPhone X and have adjusted to the shortcomings they’ve complained about just like I have with swiping up after authentication with FaceID....

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Of course it has to be heavy.
That's the rule with anything that's expensive.
Especially loudspeakers.
If it's light and that expensive people won't buy it after they pick it up. :D

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the only thing I am struggling with after using this phone for a full day is... after Face ID unlocks my phone, I have to reach my thumb all the way down to the bottom to swipe up.
How did you do it with touchID? The button was at the bottom, too.

Also you don’t need to wait for Face ID to unlock just swipe at the same time.

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
How did you do it with touchID? The button was at the bottom, too.

Also you don’t need to wait for Face ID to unlock just swipe at the same time.

I am coming from a regular iPhone 6 which was lighter and slightly smaller, obviously. The physical touch ID button was easier to reach for me.

I actually like Face ID a lot... and if I am holding the phone with two hands I have absolutely no problem. I just can't seem to do well with unlocking the phone one handed. Could be the weight of the phone in combination with having smaller hands. It's only my second day of use and I feel myself improving.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a regular iPhone 6 which was lighter and slightly smaller, obviously. The physical touch ID button was easier to reach for me.

I actually like Face ID a lot... and if I am holding the phone with two hands I have absolutely no problem. I just can't seem to do well with unlocking the phone one handed. Could be the weight of the phone in combination with having smaller hands. It's only my second day of use and I feel myself improving.

Cool, enjoy your X!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Even though the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S felt more ‘premium’ to ‘me’, the iPhone X does have a premium feel to it...

Agreed.
I get a little worried when I drop the X now due to the glass back.
I used to not care at all with the aluminium iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro