Face ID + Swipe Up... Why?

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
I actually like Face ID.. I just dont understand why we have to also swipe up. Does anyone know if there was a reason Apple added this step? My phone wakes up when I lift it and sees my face.. Why do I have to swipe up.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
So you’ll have the chance to look at the lock screen as well as the notification instead of going right away to the home screen.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Maybe iOS 12 will minimize the swipes or animations when unlocking the device with Face ID to speed up the process.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually like Face ID.. I just dont understand why we have to also swipe up. Does anyone know if there was a reason Apple added this step? My phone wakes up when I lift it and sees my face.. Why do I have to swipe up.

I think they will add an option to not have to like they did with touchID. I agree with you, I would much rather just use FaceID and not have to swipe as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

That is my one gripe with the device, although I understand the rationale. Still, I would prefer an option for it.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes you just want to glance at the time or date on your phone and looking at the lock screen is a lot better than home screen because they’re bigger. Also if you want to just glance at your multiple notification or text messages, it’s a lot easier to look at the lock screen without going all the way to home screen then swiping down. With Touch ID, I usually missed the notifications because it authenticates so fast that it goes to home screen right away which annoys me.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I like it for the times I want to see my screen without going to the home screen. For those of you who want to look and go to the home screen without swiping, I hope it gets added as an option. I just hope it doesn’t get forced on all of us.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally there are times where I would rather look at my notifications without my phone unlocking. So I like it the way it is though I understand why others would prefer it to just unlock.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally there are times where I would rather look at my notifications without my phone unlocking. So I like it the way it is though I understand why others would prefer it to just unlock.

Exactly this. I’m constantly checking my notifications throughout the day and I frequently respond to things directly from the lock screen. It would drive me crazy if my phone automatically went to my home screen every time I looked at it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think they definitely need to offer a turned off by default option for this, but that way those who want it can enable it. Most days I'd prefer the go direct to the homescreen behavior myself. There are times though when I'm busy and I just want to check the notifications on the lock screen to see what someone texted me. So maybe add it as a control center toggle option even.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Sometimes you just want to glance at the time or date on your phone and looking at the lock screen is a lot better than home screen because they’re bigger. Also if you want to just glance at your multiple notification or text messages, it’s a lot easier to look at the lock screen without going all the way to home screen then swiping down. With Touch ID, I usually missed the notifications because it authenticates so fast that it goes to home screen right away which annoys me.

On my iPhone 7 I use the power button to turn on my screen without unlocking it so I can see the time and/or notifications but I use the home button when I want to go straight to my apps. I’d like the option to enable and disable the swipe requirement as well though I’m not sure yet which option I’d use most of the time.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
On my iPhone 7 I use the power button to turn on my screen without unlocking it so I can see the time and/or notifications but I use the home button when I want to go straight to my apps. I’d like the option to enable and disable the swipe requirement as well though I’m not sure yet which option I’d use most of the time.

I know about the power button to wake up the phone and see the notification but I’m not used to reaching that button when I just want to glance at the notification. I can also raise up my phone to wake it up but my instinct is to press the Touch ID right away missing my notification. I do agree however having the option not to swipe for people who like it this way.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Why not enable “raise to wake”?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Many people don't know how to use the Face ID in the most efficient way. Enable raise to wake, and swipe immediately as you're raising the phone to your face. By the time your phone scans the face you're already going to be on the home screen, no delay.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I like the Face ID + swipe up... HATED having to use the power button on my 7 Plus (and 6S Plus/6 Plus before that) to view my lock screen notifications.

Or if using the home button, it would instantly go to the home screen without seeing the lock screen notifications. HATED that too.

Raise to wake them Face ID to unlock my notifications is brilliant! If I want to go onto the home screen I swipe up, simple and easy.

And as others have said - if you want to go direct to your home screen. Swipe up as you look at it. Instant access to home screen.

The way Face ID works is 100x better than Touch ID.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I like the Face ID + swipe up... HATED having to use the power button on my 7 Plus (and 6S Plus/6 Plus before that) to view my lock screen notifications.

Or if using the home button, it would instantly go to the home screen without seeing the lock screen notifications. HATED that too.

Raise to wake them Face ID to unlock my notifications is brilliant! If I want to go onto the home screen I swipe up, simple and easy.

And as others have said - if you want to go direct to your home screen. Swipe up as you look at it. Instant access to home screen.

The way Face ID works is 100x better than Touch ID.

Exactly!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods