Re-springing X?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I used to “respiring” my previous iPhones by holding down power until the “Shut off” screen came on, and then holding down the home button for a few seconds. The screen would blink briefly, and I’d be back home...

Any way to do this with the X?

AG

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Quick press and release volume up, quick press and release volume down, press and hold power and voila, hard reboot. I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, as I am not that familiar with "respring" but there you go...hopefully it helps.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Quick press and release volume up, quick press and release volume down, press and hold power and voila, hard reboot. I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, as I am not that familiar with "respring" but there you go...hopefully it helps.

No, not looking for a hard reboot by any means.

It’s more of a “soft” reboot, but not really a reboot! Hope someone else can jump on.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
No, not looking for a hard reboot by any means.

It’s more of a “soft” reboot, but not really a reboot! Hope someone else can jump on.
Yeah, I guess you’re looking I just restart the UI. I don’t know how to do that, but I also didn’t know that was possible on prior devices. What is the point of it?

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess you’re looking I just restart the UI. I don’t know how to do that, but I also didn’t know that was possible on prior devices. What is the point of it?

Exactly. It just refreshes and frees up RAM. Closes apps, etc.. in one shot. Did it once per day, in the morning before first use.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to “respiring” my previous iPhones by holding down power until the “Shut off” screen came on, and then holding down the home button for a few seconds. The screen would blink briefly, and I’d be back home...

Any way to do this with the X?

AG

I did some searching last night to see if I could find an answer. I did not. There doesn’t seem to be a way to clear the RAM on iPhone X. Most of what I found is people saying it either didn’t clear RAM or that it’s unnecessary. A lot people didn’t even know it was thing. So unfortunately it seems all you can do with iPhone X is to reset the phone. I’ll do some research later on and see if I might be able to dig up an answer.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Slide to power off is the soft reset. Does the X not have that?

Press and hold the volume up button and the lock screen button at the same time for a few seconds.

OP is looking to basically restart Springboard and clear RAM. On iPhones with home buttons it’s easy. If you hold the power button until the power off screen shows up then let go and hold the home button the screen will flash, reboot Springboard, and clear the RAM. If RAM usage is high the effects are immediately noticeable in the fluidity of iOS. It’s not an entirely necessary process, but it is one that many people like to do.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did some searching too and apparently it’s not (yet?) possible on an iPhone X.

And to all the other people in this group: let’s not discuss the validity of such process since that was clearly not what the OP asked for.

Last edited:

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I used to do this with my 7 from time to time. I tried to research this and apparently there isn’t a way to do it since the X handles is automatically. I mean if Genius Bar isn’t aware of how to do it then I guess that’s that

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711