Embrace the notch

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been thinking about the notch fort two weeks now. I like the way video works its way around the notch. I like that it separates the top sides to their own spaces and functions. I also see innovation in every industry that people initial don't like but after time learn to love it and then can be without it. The auto industry is constantly pushing the limits and if it wasn't for Tesla we wouldn't have usable battery powered cars. door knobs, light switches, televisions, computers have all had new innovations that initially were trashed. I buy apple products for three reasons. They are different than the rest, customer service, and they function a notch above due to all software being mated to specific hardware.

When a Samsung or any other phone is released no one really cares. When a new iPhone is released we have major news agencies trying their hardest to garner headlines from the story. Love the notch, it lets everyone know that you have an iPhone and they just have a competitor.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don’t love the notch, but I know that Apple will make the best of it and use it to further innovate. I think it’s unsightly.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
There was terrible press about the MacBook pro with touch bar and whenever I use one without it I feel like I've stepped back in time.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The notch is temporary until they get it under the screen and working properly under the screen. It doesn’t bother me either.

Perhaps. But there’s also no doubt when someone is using an iPhone X because of the notch. It’s the new home button. It’s possible that Apple is working on a way to embed everything under the display but I don’t see them being in a hurry to hide the notch simply from a marketing perspective. Nonetheless, I’ve accepted the notch and it doesn’t bother me. I’d rather it not be there though.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I really don't see how you can embed a camera under the display. I mean how is it supposed to scan your face when there's an OLED between the camera and you displaying stuff essentially in front of your face in the camera's view? I mean nothing is impossible I guess given time and research but I just don't see how something like that would be overcome anytime soon. Unless they have the display shut off in that area while it's scanning your face to unlock. Even still, the camera is looking through the hardware of the display and that's gotta cause some kind of problems.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see how you can embed a camera under the display. I mean how is it supposed to scan your face when there's an OLED between the camera and you displaying stuff essentially in front of your face in the camera's view? I mean nothing is impossible I guess given time and research but I just don't see how something like that would be overcome anytime soon. Unless they have the display shut off in that area while it's scanning your face to unlock. Even still, the camera is looking through the hardware of the display and that's gotta cause some kind of problems.

Supposedly some company already managed to get a fingerprint sensor under a display. I’m sure it’s possible, just a matter of how long it takes to achieve it reliably.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Supposedly some company already managed to get a fingerprint sensor under a display. I’m sure it’s possible, just a matter of how long it takes to achieve it reliably.

Yeah but a fingerprint sensor is different than a camera that has to be able to see you through a screen. At least it seems like it would be way different to me.

iamdld

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Do people really care about the notch or care about letting others know that they have an iphone? Seems like a non issue to most and there are plenty of great options for the folks who don't like it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do people really care about the notch or care about letting others know that they have an iphone? Seems like a non issue to most and there are plenty of great options for the folks who don't like it.

Yes, some people care about the notch and yes, some people care about letting others know they have an iPhone X. It’s somewhat of a status symbol at this point in time. I’m not saying it’s my personal opinion or that I agree with it but, with no effort from myself, I’ve had several people ask me about my iPhone X after noticing the notch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I understand why it’s there and it’s not preventing me from using or enjoying the iPhone X, I still dislike the look of notch at the top. On the other hand, when I’m using my iPhone X, I really don’t pay attention to it.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Bit annoying in full screen video is my only complaint, i don't watch a lot but if i was a commuter for work could be a deal breaker.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I don’t mind it at all. Hated it until I actually held a display iPhone X and it’s really not a big deal to me. Instead of thinking of the notch robbing me of screen, I consider the ends to be extra screen.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It's not just the FaceID sensor,. The front facing camera, ambient light sensor, and most importantly the ear speaker are there too. (which doubles as a playback speaker for higher frequencies and left channel stereo program material. The notch exists to bring the screen as close as possible to the end to match the bottom and the center cut out is needed for the aforementioned hardware. Give up faceID, the ability to take selfies, true tone (as well as auto brightness) and stereo sound and the ability to talk on it like a phone (haha!) and then you can have a notch-less thin bezel display. But wait, there's more! Make the glass contour the edge (like the crystal on the apple watch) and then you can truly have a perfect, bezel less display. Think of how the active display on the S8 and Note 8 is on the vertical edges, but this would be like that all the way around.

Ambient light sensor ability could possibly be achieved with light piping via the edges and the second speaker/earpiece live in the end of the top matching the speaker and mic on the bottom.

Put a display and camera on the back for selfies, etc.

So yeah, they have lots of ways to change things.

(and even charge more!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711