Can I activate iPhone X with a GoPhone SIM? Will it be unlocked?

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Given that my currenty 6 Plus is slowly but surely dying on me I might have to purchase an X sooner than I was hoping for. As far as I can tell there is no unlocked SIM free version of the iPhone X available just yet, and I absolutely have to select a carrier when purchasing one.

The thing is: both my wife and I are on AT&T GoPhone since it's soooooo much cheaper than their any carrier's post paid plan ($40 for unlimited calls/texts + 6GB LTE + rollover data + tethering). In addition, I travel to Europe for work quite frequently and am used to popping in an old German SIM card whenever I arrive.

Thus, my two questions are: if I select AT&T as my carrier when purchasing the iPhone X, will I be able to simply swap my SIM card from my existing 6 Plus and activate the phone? Or will activation actually require a post paid plan as it does when purchasing an iPhone through the Apple Upgrade Program? And, more importantly, will I be able to continue using my German o2 SIM card whenever I'm in Europe?

My initial plan was to wait until around mid to late January until the unlocked SIM free version is available but my 6 Plus might not last that long.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you pay for it outright I don’t see why not. I don’t know much about the plan you’re on so may be best to wait until someone else chimes in.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to mention that: buying outright through the Apple Store and paying in full, no carriers involved in the process.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to mention that: buying outright through the Apple Store and paying in full, no carriers involved in the process.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You could make them activate for you there before you walk out.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
As long as you bought it unlocked then there’s no reason for it not to work. It’s as simple as that.

That's what I thought, too. Until I figured out that Apple's unlocked "Upgrade Plan" iPhones actually do require a post paid plan for activation. Hence my question ;)

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
Purchased outright from Apple, the phone is unlocked. I purchased the TMO version online, and Apple never asked anything specific about my TMO account. I got the phone, removed the SIM card that was in the phone, placed my TMO SIM from my unlocked 7plus. Works just fine and I did not have to activate through TMO.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
That's what I thought, too. Until I figured out that Apple's unlocked "Upgrade Plan" iPhones actually do require a post paid plan for activation. Hence my question ;)

I was merely talking about how unlocked phone works. It’s either you pay a post paid plan or not, as long as they say it’s an unlocked phone it will work on any kind of SIM. Apple sells another type of unlocked phone that is not tied to any carrier just like the other guy posted. That’s what you should get so that it won’t require you to activate and pay any kind of post paid plan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox