Whatever happened to common sense?

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes but she also put the hot cup of coffee between her legs, and squeezed which caused the lid to come off while driving, so while I think what she endured is terrible, suing because the person did something wrong and blaming someone else is the problem.

No she didn’t. She wasn’t driving. What are you talking about?

Her grandson had parked the car and she had the cup between her knees in the passenger seat and was removing the lid to add sugar and cream. It spilled liquid that was knowingly being served at a dangerously high temperature that wasn’t the typical temperature for coffee. She didn’t sue for cash - they brought the suit to request McDonalds pay for the portion of her costs not covered by Medicare and to ask them to look at the temperature they were serving their coffee at since it was 50 degrees hotter than standard. The jury took it upon themselves to give her more based on McDonalds previous negligence in other cases.

If you guys are going to use this case as a yard stick get the facts straight. I linked to the facts of that case a page back. I suggest you read it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
She wasn’t driving.

It doesn't really matter, coffee is hot. You should hold the cup away from you when taking the lid off a freshly poured cup of hot coffee. McDonald's coffee freshly poured is 190 degrees Fahrenheit. The commercial Keurig coffee maker in my kitchen dispenses hot water at 190 degrees Fahrenheit (as do all Keurig coffee makers). Would that silly woman sue Keurig if she spilled a hot drink after making it herself in her own house? I'm betting she would. If given the chance she would sue a sock maker because she slipped on freshly mopped hardwood floors and broke her hip.... "cotton socks are too slippery!".

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree that anyone buying a phone this expensive should spend a few extra dollars for protection. However I find it reckless that Apple is using glass again. There are many other materials available for them to use. I would think they would want their product to be a little more durable. However I guess being pretty is more important.

Except the glass is to allow the wireless charging. It is no more breakable than the flagship Samsung phones (or most other current flagship phones). In fact it is better than some, like the Pixel 2 and the HTC U11, which both have bend issues. While people complain about the price of glass back replacement, particularly compared to the Samsung, at the same time they give Apple high marks for how well built the phone is.

This really seems to be a no win situation for Apple; it seems some group would complain no matter what Apple had done.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
And I would wager the biggest complainers don't even own one.

I agree. I’m not saying all but majority of the biggest complainers don’t have the iPhone 10. Majority of us who owns it are satisfied with the phone. People tend to justify themselves if they can’t get or upgrade to iPhone 10 for whatever reason. It’s just human nature.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
1. In your opinion, which iPhone, in and of itself, is the best one Apple has made?
2. Of all of the iPhone models, which is the fastest in terms of processing speed?

1. Probably the X. Only issue I have with it is the notch messing up video playback.
2. Probably the X again since it has better hardware than the other iPhones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I’m not saying all but majority of the biggest complainers don’t have the iPhone 10. Majority of us who owns it are satisfied with the phone. People tend to justify themselves if they can’t get or upgrade to iPhone 10 for whatever reason. It’s just human nature.

I think it's more they're trying to justify the purchase in their decision making. They voice out their concerns. There's things about the X I don't like. But I know all iPhones will be that way soon. As Apple says, "Say hello to the future!".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it's more they're trying to justify the purchase in their decision making. They voice out their concerns. There's things about the X I don't like. But I know all iPhones will be that way soon. As Apple says, "Say hello to the future!".

You could very well right. Heck, I made my disdain for its price pretty clear, even though I could afford it. Even though I still went out and bought it, my stance on its price still remains.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Zero common sense comes from people that make statements such as " I don't put a case on my phone because I love to feel my phone naked". That sounds both stupid and creepy at the same time.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Zero common sense comes from people that make statements such as " I don't put a case on my phone because I love to feel my phone naked". That sounds both stupid and creepy at the same time.

I think it makes perfect sense. Apple puts a ton of thought into how their devices feel in the hand. Why would it be stupid to not want to use a case? “Naked” is obviously just another way of saying “without a case”.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Quoted for truth.

Seriously, what kind of moron puts hot coffee between their legs in the car? You could hit a bump, pothole, have to slam on your breaks because a dog ran across the road, or any other numerous things.

In no way does that justify the burns she experienced. Thus the reason for her winning the lawsuit...

Edit:

Let's get back on topic please.....Thank you.

Posted the original before seeing this. :lips-sealed:

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
When Apple says, "This is the strongest glass ever used in an iPhone", what are they advertising and what is the point in referencing that?

I agree with you though. If I drop my phone...I dropped it. That's my fault. I chose to purchase insurance and wear a case just to protect myself from these events. My only point in that question is simply asking why Apple would feel compelled to mention such a thing. Glass breaks. All glass. So why does Apple feel the need to tell us the glass in the iPhone X is the strongest glass ever put in an iPhone. What does that do for us? And what should the average consumer assume from that statement?

Because that is what marketing 101 on a product is all about. Mention something that will grab the consumers attention and say we made it the best.

Callio

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Everyone is missing the point.
People are mad because Apple has decided to make the glass back panel irreplacable. They have decided to solder camera to the glass panel so that they could get more money from you.

Look at Android phones. With an aftermarket glass panel it would cost you $20 dollars to replace it. $50-80 if you wanna run it through the vendor.
Apple didn't have to do it this way! You as customers should be mad, not praising it!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Don’t be offended. I’m simply asking a question based on my observations that are not limited to the iMore Forums. If I opt to buy an iPhone encased in glass, why would I blame Apple when I drop and break it?

Welcome to the last few years of glass phones on AC :p.

People expect their phones to take drops so they are shocked when it breaks. As you said though... it is glass. If you are worried about it case it up.

I always use a case. Even if not the super-bulky ones I get a Spigen one to add grip. The somewhat protection is nice as well but I find the grip to help me a lot more from dropping.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the last few years of glass phones on AC :p.

People expect their phones to take drops so they are shocked when it breaks. As you said though... it is glass. If you are worried about it case it up.
‘nuf said

I always use a case. Even if not the super-bulky ones I get a Spigen one to add grip. The somewhat protection is nice as well but I find the grip to help me a lot more from dropping.
I don’t use a case on my iPhone, but I’m an old fashioned adult - You know, one that won’t blame others for breaking my iPhone if I were to ever break it.........I agree that having a good grip or putting a case on it to improve one’s grip is providing a form of protection. Anyway, thank you for the feedback and enjoy the rest of your day.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, I left my airpods in my pants pocket when I did laundry and guess what? Yep, my airpods got washed AND dried.

I'm calling Apple in the morning and demanding replacement since it was their fault.

Bah wah wah wah!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods