Whatever happened to common sense?

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
When you cross the line over $1000 phone, it’s no longer just a phone. It’s now considered a luxury. You can no longer compare it with the previous phone. It’s like buying a car. If you buy a BMW or Mercedes expect to pay premium if you take it for repair. If you compare it with normal cars, they do exactly what a luxury car can do, drive you to places. This is the reason why they are still selling iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, 7 and of course the iPhone 8 model for those people who can’t afford to plunge a thousand dollar for a phone and the cost of repair that comes with it. Apple gives you different choices depending on what you can afford. The only thing you get from having a luxury phone is status symbol.

I'm just saying that phones should be made to be more durable. Samsung has been making glass phones for a few years now so I've been used to it. I hate that OEMs are making ridiculously expensive and fragile devices. For a device that's ridiculously expensive (the X), it shouldn't also be ridiculously expensive to fix it. Why should any of us have to pay $550 if we break the back of the device when we're already shelling out $200 for AppleCare+?

Here's what I paid:

iPhone X: $1250 + tax
AppleCare+: $200

If I accidentally break the back of the phone, it's another $549 ti fix it. That right there will put the price to $2,050. For a phone. No freaking way is that acceptable, nor should we as consumers accept that.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That’s kind of different. That hot coffee caused burns that no reasonable serving temperature should have caused. It was determined to have been hotter than it should have been. I can’t see any case being brought against Apple for NOT mentioning their glass being the “strongest glass ever used in an iPhone”. There’s no metric there. Just a blanket statement assumed to be true. In fact, if any case could be brought I could see it happening because of that statement lol. The absence of it, in my opinion, would make more sense. I don’t understand why they felt we cared. Common sense tells us that glass is prone to damage. So that claim is meaningless, imo. It didn’t change the way I handle my phone.

I️ disagree!!! Obviously common sense is subjective because people these days sue for everything I’m going to assume there was a reason for it. Maybe small lawsuits from the 4/4s. Who knows but if the statement doesn’t apply to the way you use your device, why analyze it? Just ignore it & keep it moving.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm just saying that phones should be made to be more durable. Samsung has been making glass phones for a few years now so I've been used to it. I hate that OEMs are making ridiculously expensive and fragile devices. For a device that's ridiculously expensive (the X), it shouldn't also be ridiculously expensive to fix it. Why should any of us have to pay $550 if we break the back of the device when we're already shelling out $200 for AppleCare+?

Here's what I paid:

If I accidentally break the back of the phone, it's another $549 ti fix it. That right there will put the price to $2,050. For a phone. No freaking way is that acceptable, nor should we as consumers accept that.

You certainly missed my point. Also you mentioned you paid for the Apple care, you only have to pay $24 to replace your glass regardless if you break it accidentally or not.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I️ disagree!!! Obviously common sense is subjective because people these days sue for everything I’m going to assume there was a reason for it. Maybe small lawsuits from the 4/4s. Who knows but if the statement doesn’t apply to the way you use your device, why analyze it? Just ignore it & keep it moving.

Does the statement apply to the way others use their devices?

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
There could definitely be legal action. It’s like that McDonald’s case. McDonald’s failed to provide a warning that coffee is actually hot, so someone sued & actually won because their hot coffee spilled on them and there was nothing stating it was hot. It’s the society we live in. People truly lack common sense & refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

You need to read the actual facts of that McDonald’s case. She sued asking them for only medical expenses for serving coffee that was actually dangerously hot beyond what should be served to anyone. It was napalm in a cup. She didn’t ask for anything more than what Medicare didn’t cover and the jury saw her skin grafts and the damage she endured and gave her deservedly more.

That woman deserved every dime. McDonalds has no excuse to be serving coffee at almost 200 degrees in temperature and that poor woman is dead now and still trotted out as a punchline for scorn. It’s wrong.

PLEASE read the facts of that case.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
“The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/14002362

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You need to read the actual facts of that McDonald’s case. She sued asking them for only medical expenses for serving coffee that was actually dangerously hot beyond what should be served to anyone. It was napalm in a cup. She didn’t ask for anything more than what Medicare didn’t cover and the jury saw her skin grafts and the damage she endured and gave her deservedly more.

That woman deserved every dime. McDonalds has no excuse to be serving coffee at almost 200 degrees in temperature and that poor woman is dead now and still trotted out as a punchline for scorn. It’s wrong.

PLEASE read the facts of that case.

So you assume I’m not educated about the facts of this case because I don’t agree? This just keeps getting better and better lol

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I didn’t buy the x, and while I am interested in it, the high price plus high cost to repair is a turnoff.

Honestly I’ve been considering getting a note 8, but leaving iMessage means I won’t get group texts anymore without having all my iPhone friends, family and work colleagues to kill all their group chats that I am in. iMessage is a great tool to keep us in the garden. So I’ll keep my 7 plus, maybe get a used phone next time I replace my phone. I started on Android long ago, came to iPhone on the 5, and stuck around. Ideally I’d have one of each, but I lose too many communications if I turn off iMessage. Another reason I’m not thrilled with Apple.

I’m honestly not in one or the other camps, I like iOS and Android equally, but I do take issue with how Apple prices. And am always surprised at the loyalists willing to defend it, same as the ones who defend Samsung poor decisions. These companies are not our friends.

Good for you then. Stay with whatever makes you comfortable. I do agree that Apple is expensive but their price comes with excellent customer service. I’ve had many experience where I have problems with my phone and exchanging them is so easy. Not to mention, I don’t have Apple care. It’s within the 1 year warranty. One time I had broken my iPhone 4 glass. They told me that they don’t have iPhone 4 available to replace it. What they did instead is they gave me iPhone 4S. That my friend is why we pay premium price.

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Good for you then. Stay with whatever makes you comfortable. I do agree that Apple is expensive but their price comes with excellent customer service. I’ve had many experience where I have problems with my phone and exchanging them is so easy. Not to mention, I don’t have Apple care. It’s within the 1 year warranty. One time I had broken my iPhone 4 glass. They told me that they don’t have iPhone 4 available to replace it. What they did instead is they gave me iPhone 4S. That my friend is why we pay premium price.

See, if I had that kind of experience at the Apple store I might feel differently. I had one device I brought in that an associate decided was water damaged and refused to replace. After fighting with a manager to have someone else check it, they realized he made a mistake and took care of it, and then chastised me for being argumentative (which I had to, to have them reassess). It was a hardware issue.

When I had the button recall issue on my 5, they told me they would just give me a new one. After spending about 25 mins as they did it, the manager came over and said I didn’t qualify for that, they took the phone away from me that they had set up, then I waited another 20 mins for them to give me a loaner, and then I had to come back after they fixed my original. And no apology for wasting my time. The associate was new and messed up, but rather than honor the mistake and make it easy, they inconveniencee the customer.

I’ve had many friends have a different experience, perhaps it was bad luck. I’m not a difficult customer, I swear! And I tip really well so I ought to have good karma!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I didn’t buy the x, and while I am interested in it, the high price plus high cost to repair is a turnoff.

It's called AppleCare. ;) For any iPhone, including the X, you pay $29 dollars for screen repairs and $99 dollars for all other repairs.

Honestly, people need to stop already with the complaints about the repair costs. Protect your investment with AppleCare, and buy a high end screen protector and case from reputable companies.

There's also no real argument for whining about the higher price of AppleCare for the X compared to other iphones. A higher end device is going to have a higher priced insurance.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. That’s not for me to worry or care about. It doesn’t apply to me, so it’s a non factor🤷🏾*♀️

I think you’ve missed the point. The thread is about how others carry themselves. If it doesn’t apply to you then that’s great. If that statement affects how others carry themselves and interact with their phones, what’s what I’m interested in. You’re not moved by it and that’s great. I spent 7 years in an industry working with people who make decisions based on statements like that. That’s the point here.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Here's what I paid:

No. If you have AppleCare you pay 29 dollars for screen repairs, and 99 dollars for all other repairs.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You realize her lawsuit was not because the coffee was merely hot, it was around 200 degrees hot, as hot as radiator fluid in your car after driving. This lawsuit is ridiculed, but she suffered horrific burns over 16% of her body and was hospitalized for 8 days.

www.rd.com/culture/hot-coffee-lawsuit/amp/

Yes but she also put the hot cup of coffee between her legs, and squeezed which caused the lid to come off while driving, so while I think what she endured is terrible, suing because the person did something wrong and blaming someone else is the problem.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
suing because the person did something wrong and blaming someone else is the problem.

Quoted for truth.

Seriously, what kind of moron puts hot coffee between their legs in the car? You could hit a bump, pothole, have to slam on your breaks because a dog ran across the road, or any other numerous things.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Here's what I paid:

Blame it on the "we want high end materials" crowd, because before we had those nokia devices built like tanks, yet everyone whined and complained that plastic is not high end, so now we are stuck with glass devices that are not as durable.
Not to mention if you have apple care it isn't $549 to fix it. At least know what you are talking about before throwing around numbers. Here I even found a nice article for you breaking it down https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/29/is-apple-care-worth-it-buying-iphone-x/

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you’ve missed the point. The thread is about how others carry themselves. If it doesn’t apply to you then that’s great. If that statement affects how others carry themselves and interact with their phones, what’s what I’m interested in. You’re not moved by it and that’s great. I spent 7 years in an industry working with people who make decisions based on statements like that. That’s the point here.

It was actually about common sense & people taking responsibility for their actions by not blaming others. I digress...I’m over it lol

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I agree that anyone buying a phone this expensive should spend a few extra dollars for protection. However I find it reckless that Apple is using glass again. There are many other materials available for them to use. I would think they would want their product to be a little more durable. However I guess being pretty is more important.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
So you assume I’m not educated about the facts of this case because I don’t agree? This just keeps getting better and better lol

It was an easy assumption since you said she sued because McDonalds didn’t say coffee was hot.

That wasn’t it by a long shot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice