Whatever happened to common sense?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
People are always quick to blame someone or something instead of owning their mistakes or misfortune. People need to own when they drop their phone and it breaks because they decided not to put a case on it. Common sense dictates protecting a $1000 device. Would you treat your car or home as if it were disposable. NO!

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
They are saying that it’s the strongest glass ever put in an iPhone. It’s as meaningful as saying the new iPhone is the best iPhone ever made. Of course it is. They did not say the glass was unbreakable.

I agree with you on that. They did say strongest ever put on an iPhone. That’s the keyword right there “on an iPhone”. They were not comparing themselves with other phones.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You realize her lawsuit was not because the coffee was merely hot, it was around 200 degrees hot, as hot as radiator fluid in your car after driving. This lawsuit is ridiculed, but she suffered horrific burns over 16% of her body and was hospitalized for 8 days.

www.rd.com/culture/hot-coffee-lawsuit/amp/

This.

That poor old lady gets used as a punchline - and no one knows McDonalds knowingly served coffee that was dangerously over the temperature threshold. She gets laughed at after having multiple skin grafts because McDonalds was serving essentially napalm in a cup.

Mcdonalds PR team did a great job making sure that’s what people think.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Normally, I would keep a response to post like this to myself...because it was plainly written by someone younger than myself because it has the notion of "entitlement" written all over it. But, because of the two positions you hold here on this web forum...that deals primarily with fairly expensive mobile devices instead of plastic "go phones", I felt an urge to do so.

Are you serious?

Apple is in the business of building high-end mobile devices that are borderline objects of art. People have been more than willing (as you too were, obviously...) to spend the price to buy mobile phones that were not cheaply made and ugly...but rather were crafted of metal and glass, and beautiful. You did know that the phone was made of glass panels before you bought it, didn't you? I mean, you certainly did enough due diligence to know that it was not made of unbreakable glass? That means if you dropped it...it would most certainly break. Glass does that. All glass does that. Every time.

Apple offers insurance against damage...even from negligence or clumsiness, and offers it at a very reasonable price. Most service carriers do the same. My personal carrier is Verizon...and for $11.00 monthly I am completely covered come what may. I always use an Apple leather case on my phones, and rarely if ever drop them...but if I do and it breaks, I have the insurance on it just like I have on my car, that I hardly ever wreck. It just makes good sense to CYA.

So...all this being said, if you choose to carry your phone "naked" without the protection of a case, and you choose to be too frugal to spend the amount for AppleCare or carrier insurance...and your drop your phone, and it breaks...

...you are pissed at Apple?

I ask again...are you serious?

Of course I'm serious. Otherwise I wouldn't have wrote what I wrote. It's my opinion and you have your opinion.

Phones aren't art. Their purpose is to make calls, surf the web, and do other tasks. People drop things all the time, you know, because of gravity and all. Apple, and other phone manufacturers, should be making phones that can be dropped and not break, or can survive when they're dropped with just a little scuff or scrape. BTW, the S8 active isn't a "go phone". It's a high-end, $850 device.

I don't know if you noticed, but the rear glass on the iPhone X costs $549 to fix--more than half the price of the iPhone X. And cases don't always prevent breakage. My car's fender got smashed in and that was cheaper to fix than the rear glass back of the iPhone X. I have AppleCare+ and it's absurd for Apple to charge ridiculous prices to repair a phone, especially after I'm spending $200 for their insurance plan. At that point, I might as well spend $250 more and get a new X. Or something else. But maybe that's what Apple wants us to do.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Don’t be offended. I’m simply asking a question based on my observations that are not limited to the iMore Forums. If I opt to buy an iPhone encased in glass, why would I blame Apple when I drop and break it? It’s not like Apple dropped it. Is not the fault all ‘mine’? Why would I blame Apple for choosing to keep a device that I felt was too slippery to grasp firmly and then end up dropping and breaking it? Did I not have the option to return the slippery device or encase it in a non-slippery case? When do we take responsibility for our own actions or decisions? Apple creates new iPhone devices every year, and during the keynote, they describe the materials used to make them. Afterwards, we make the decision to buy those items, and yet, rush to blame Apple for them not being strong enough, foolproof enough or not made specifically to our personal preferences. In addition, why do we get offended when someone uses ‘common sense’ by reminding us that there are non-Apple options available that may suit our needs better? I mean, when we complain, we tend to mention non-Apple devices that have everything we desire, but how dare someone uses common sense and recommend those products to us? I mean, it only makes sense these days to continue to use and complain about a product you’re unhappy with, right?........is common sense and personal responsibility no longer highly revered?

It is like with everything anymore, nobody wants to accept responsibility for their actions. It doesn't help with the whole "everyone gets a trophy" movement. I agree 100% with what you are saying.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is like with everything anymore, nobody wants to accept responsibility for their actions. It doesn't help with the whole "everyone gets a trophy" movement. I agree 100% with what you are saying.

Thank you....

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am a teacher so I see this far too often unfortunately.

Oh wow, I'm sure you do. I don't envy you, but I respect the heck out of you for having the patience and tenacity to teach. I'd be fired already...(laughing)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I get it all the time in my business. Some will claim up to it. Others try to blame it on the product itself. We sell high end and we also talk about how to care for the product. Not our fault if you decline and improperly care for your product. We give a warranty but it does have guidelines. We are good to our customers but please I know when someone is trying to fool me or give me some story

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
That’s because kids are not taught being responsible for their actions, they are taught about entitlement and being dependent on the government or someone else except themselves.

It’s called indoctrination, sad but very true. Glad I am retiring in January and will be out of the workforce.

Not just kids.....

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
What I don't get is all the people complaining about the cost and risk of damage could have simply not bought the X. If you wanted a tank you should have bought a tank. Saying it is the strongest glass on an iphone ever could be true, but it is still glass.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep. They always sensationalize everything. "The best iPhone we've ever made." "The fastest iPhone ever."

1. In your opinion, which iPhone, in and of itself, is the best one Apple has made?
2. Of all of the iPhone models, which is the fastest in terms of processing speed?

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
What I don't get is all the people complaining about the cost and risk of damage could have simply not bought the X. If you wanted a tank you should have bought a tank. Saying it is the strongest glass on an iphone ever could be true, but it is still glass.

True enough. Course the cynical person might say they intentionally make their ‘coolest’ phone as fragile as possible to rake in more dollars for accidents that even the most responsible person can have. And make sure that Apple care and the charge to fix is high enough to bring in revenue for extra bonuses. Or like they offer fast charging IF you buy an extra charger and cable.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True enough. Course the cynical person might say they intentionally make their ‘coolest’ phone as fragile as possible to rake in more dollars for accidents that even the most responsible person can have. And make sure that Apple care and the charge to fix is high enough to bring in revenue for extra bonuses. Or like they offer fast charging IF you buy an extra charger and cable.

Like any company, Apple is in business to offer products and services at a profit. Everyday people do the same thing via eBay, Craig’s List and garage sales....

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73