Whatever happened to common sense?

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I’m all for profit, but there is a difference in making a profit and gouging. Those repair costs that are half the price of the phone, it’s a tad ridiculous. Course up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to pay.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
That’s because kids are not taught being responsible for their actions, they are taught about entitlement and being dependent on the government or someone else except themselves.

It’s called indoctrination, sad but very true. Glad I am retiring in January and will be out of the workforce.

Who exactly are you accusing of indoctrinating our children to be dependent on the government, or someone else, and not be responsible for their actions?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’m all for profit, but there is a difference in making a profit and gouging. Those repair costs that are half the price of the phone, it’s a tad ridiculous. Course up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to pay.

Right or wrong, it's marketing strategy that works like a charm for Apple because users buy anyway. And they know it. So they get away with the planned "gouging" techniques most users don't notice or care about. They know exactly what they're doing.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

You seem to to have a lot of disagreement on how Apple do their business and yet you still buy their product. Why is that? I’m just curious.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
What I don't get is all the people complaining about the cost and risk of damage could have simply not bought the X. If you wanted a tank you should have bought a tank. Saying it is the strongest glass on an iphone ever could be true, but it is still glass.

This!

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Man, just don't buy an Apple product if you don't agree with their terms. It's that simple! I really don't understand people spend thousands bucks in a very well know gadget, made by a very well know company and still keep complaining about both. Really, is there any sense in this manner?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Just to put my opinion: people who have money to spend on an iPhone X should know the meaning of responsibility. You bought. It was perfect (assuming it was; if it's not the case so you have right to an exchange). You decided not to put a case. You dropped the phone. It broken. It's all up to you. "Ow but Apple makes iPhone fragile on purpose just to take advantage of my own mistake and make money with it". Ok, if you believe in that, don't buy Apple and nothing to see here.

I really don't understand why this is so hard to understand...

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
You seem to to have a lot of disagreement on how Apple do their business and yet you still buy their product. Why is that? I’m just curious.

I didn’t buy the x, and while I am interested in it, the high price plus high cost to repair is a turnoff.

Honestly I’ve been considering getting a note 8, but leaving iMessage means I won’t get group texts anymore without having all my iPhone friends, family and work colleagues to kill all their group chats that I am in. iMessage is a great tool to keep us in the garden. So I’ll keep my 7 plus, maybe get a used phone next time I replace my phone. I started on Android long ago, came to iPhone on the 5, and stuck around. Ideally I’d have one of each, but I lose too many communications if I turn off iMessage. Another reason I’m not thrilled with Apple.

I’m honestly not in one or the other camps, I like iOS and Android equally, but I do take issue with how Apple prices. And am always surprised at the loyalists willing to defend it, same as the ones who defend Samsung poor decisions. These companies are not our friends.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What legal action could take place from them not making any claims of durability at all? Simply don't mention it.

There could definitely be legal action. It’s like that McDonald’s case. McDonald’s failed to provide a warning that coffee is actually hot, so someone sued & actually won because their hot coffee spilled on them and there was nothing stating it was hot. It’s the society we live in. People truly lack common sense & refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
True enough. Course the cynical person might say they intentionally make their ‘coolest’ phone as fragile as possible to rake in more dollars for accidents that even the most responsible person can have. And make sure that Apple care and the charge to fix is high enough to bring in revenue for extra bonuses. Or like they offer fast charging IF you buy an extra charger and cable.

Except the facts about accidents don't match the claims of the "cynical person." If Apple was grossly overcharging for the back panel replacement, then third party shops would be seriously undercutting Apple's price. The expensive cost for replacing the back glass appears to be a design issue, not a price gouging issue.

Now, with the fast charger, that is disappointing. Even if they didn't give the 30W charger in the box, at a minimum they should have switched over to a USB-C lightning cable and brick.

But again, this is part of the trade off of buying the iPhone X, vs an 8/Plus or even the 7/Plus (which doesn't have the glass back); not to mention that perhaps people who feel Apple is overcharging should buy a Samsung -- where the glass back is just as fragile but much cheaper to replace. It is part of the trade off we, as consumers do, anytime we choose between products A and B.

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Except the facts about accidents don't match the claims of the "cynical person." If Apple was grossly overcharging for the back panel replacement, then third party shops would be seriously undercutting Apple's price. The expensive cost for replacing the back glass appears to be a design issue, not a price gouging issue.

Now, with the fast charger, that is disappointing. Even if they didn't give the 30W charger in the box, at a minimum they should have switched over to a USB-C lightning cable and brick.

But again, this is part of the trade off of buying the iPhone X, vs an 8/Plus or even the 7/Plus (which doesn't have the glass back); not to mention that perhaps people who feel Apple is overcharging should buy a Samsung -- where the glass back is just as fragile but much cheaper to replace. It is part of the trade off we, as consumers do, anytime we choose between products A and B.

I don’t disagree, a consumer has to decide if the reward and risk are worth the cost. Just the cynic in me seems to think Apple designs in a way to be ‘pretty’ and costly at expense of consumer. Everyone has their own calculus for this.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

This. Again.

It's just a matter of choice, nothing more than this. I have a Xiaomi MIX. Astonishing gadget, all ceramic made. It broke when accidentally fell to ground. I'm not saying that was Xiaomi design fault, I know it's all on me and only me. That's it. I knew when I bought it it was made of ceramic. I know ceramic is fragile. But I choose to buy anyway. Again: it's all up to me.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There could definitely be legal action. It’s like that McDonald’s case. McDonald’s failed to provide a warning that coffee is actually hot, so someone sued & actually won because their hot coffee spilled on them and there was nothing stating it was hot. It’s the society we live in. People truly lack common sense & refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

That’s kind of different. That hot coffee caused burns that no reasonable serving temperature should have caused. It was determined to have been hotter than it should have been. I can’t see any case being brought against Apple for NOT mentioning their glass being the “strongest glass ever used in an iPhone”. There’s no metric there. Just a blanket statement assumed to be true. In fact, if any case could be brought I could see it happening because of that statement lol. The absence of it, in my opinion, would make more sense. I don’t understand why they felt we cared. Common sense tells us that glass is prone to damage. So that claim is meaningless, imo. It didn’t change the way I handle my phone.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I don’t disagree, a consumer has to decide if the reward and risk are worth the cost. Just the cynic in me seems to think Apple designs in a way to be ‘pretty’ and costly at expense of consumer. Everyone has their own calculus for this.

Apple obviously is concerned with their products looking good, part of their image is based on their devices looking "stylish." When it comes to price vs. style; I think they give the priority to style -- at least within reason.

When it comes to the expensive replacement cost, I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt here. Making it expensive to replace the back glass benefits no one, least of all Apple -- particularly since (if they were wanting to price gouge) the can still add a similar markup with a cheaper fix, and it would be easier to get people to pay it (say $300 vs. $500). Instead, they've gotten "bad press" for the back glass being so expensive to replace.

I suspect, since Apple isn't experienced in making a phone that can wirelessly charge; they worried too much about getting the charging to work well and, too late, they realized they'd made the phone expensive to repair. Additionally, at the same time, they didn't want another "bendgate," so they also were trying to ensure the front and back would not separate if the phone was bent. I suspect next year's iPhone (assuming the keep wireless charging) will be cheaper to fix.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple obviously is concerned with their products looking good, part of their image is based on their devices looking "stylish." When it comes to price vs. style; I think they give the priority to style -- at least within reason.

When it comes to the expensive replacement cost, I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt here. Making it expensive to replace the back glass benefits no one, least of all Apple -- particularly since (if they were wanting to price gouge) the can still add a similar markup with a cheaper fix, and it would be easier to get people to pay it (say $300 vs. $500). Instead, they've gotten "bad press" for the back glass being so expensive to replace.

I suspect, since Apple isn't experienced in making a phone that can wirelessly charge; they worried too much about getting the charging to work well and, too late, they realized they'd made the phone expensive to repair. Additionally, at the same time, they didn't want another "bendgate," so they also were trying to ensure the front and back would not separate if the phone was bent. I suspect next year's iPhone (assuming the keep wireless charging) will be cheaper to fix.

They made the phone as they always do. The back is part of the chassis. That’s why the back replacement cost is so high, they have the replace the entire body of your phone. This is also to create the IP67 seal on the phone. Apple added things people wanted and then people complain about the repair costs associated with it. Sure, Apple could have made the back glass separate from the chassis, but it wouldn’t look or feel as nice and would have created more fail points in structural integrity and water sealing.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Of course I'm serious. Otherwise I wouldn't have wrote what I wrote. It's my opinion and you have your opinion.

Phones aren't art. Their purpose is to make calls, surf the web, and do other tasks. People drop things all the time, you know, because of gravity and all. Apple, and other phone manufacturers, should be making phones that can be dropped and not break, or can survive when they're dropped with just a little scuff or scrape. BTW, the S8 active isn't a "go phone". It's a high-end, $850 device.

I don't know if you noticed, but the rear glass on the iPhone X costs $549 to fix--more than half the price of the iPhone X. And cases don't always prevent breakage. My car's fender got smashed in and that was cheaper to fix than the rear glass back of the iPhone X. I have AppleCare+ and it's absurd for Apple to charge ridiculous prices to repair a phone, especially after I'm spending $200 for their insurance plan. At that point, I might as well spend $250 more and get a new X. Or something else. But maybe that's what Apple wants us to do.

When you cross the line over $1000 phone, it’s no longer just a phone. It’s now considered a luxury. You can no longer compare it with the previous phone. It’s like buying a car. If you buy a BMW or Mercedes expect to pay premium if you take it for repair. If you compare it with normal cars, they do exactly what a luxury car can do, drive you to places. This is the reason why they are still selling iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, 7 and of course the iPhone 8 model for those people who can’t afford to plunge a thousand dollar for a phone and the cost of repair that comes with it. Apple gives you different choices depending on what you can afford. The only thing you get from having a luxury phone is status symbol.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That’s because kids are not taught being responsible for their actions, they are taught about entitlement and being dependent on the government or someone else except themselves.

It’s called indoctrination, sad but very true. Glad I am retiring in January and will be out of the workforce.

Lol! Agree.
I work at a college and many students are incredibly entitled. And the parents.......... I believe it’s called “helicopter parenting.”
They expect everything to be done for them and when they aren’t doing well it’s the instructor’s fault. I could go on.....
Sigh......

But yes when you buy an all glass phone you should anticipate it breaking if you drop it. It’s part of the deal. So insure it well and/or case it up!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR