Strange 3G/LTE switching problem and disconnects

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been a few days now with my iPhone X and noticed a strange problem occurring since I started using it as my primary device. First, the phone will lock onto the 3G HSPA+ network very quickly, but even though it is in a very dense LTE area with very good signal strength, it refuses to switch to LTE and just stays on 3G for as long as I do not physically start switching towers. As you can imagine, this means that I have to hop into the car and start driving around, and only then will the phone switch to an LTE connection. This happens anywhere and at any time. For comparison, my 6s Plus and 7 Plus did not have issues like this, nor does my Samsung S8+, my BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition, or the Essential phone which I owned briefly. Occasionally I found the 7 Plus to be slow to lock onto LTE, but it would always do it. I did not have to go wonder around to get an LTE lock.

And this is where it gets more strange...after I get an LTE lock I am generally full strength LTE, can place calls that switch to 3G and then back to LTE, without any issues. However, I have so far had the data connection just completely stop working on LTE 3 times in the last 48 hours. The phone is showing a connection to the network, to LTE, but trying to open anything results in "no network connection". Only solution to this is to go into airplane mode after which point the phone will connect only to 3G and stay there until I again start driving around to get an LTE lock.

I tried resetting the network settings this morning. That seems to have had no effect on obtaining an LTE lock. I am not sure if it will have an effect on network dropouts (note again that even when the network "drops", the phone is still showing an active connection but nothing works).

I am on iOS 11.2 beta 3. I have not spent any time on iOS 11.1.1 and I did restore from a backup. I realize that all of this may have an effect on the odd instability that I am seeing, and I will try to wipe the phone, restore to iOS 11.1.1 and then test again. I am skeptical though because I have been on iOS betas for years and have never once run into this type of problem.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Before the 14 day return period passes by, go ahead and reinstall the current official iOS 11 release and then test LTE connectivity. If things remain the same, return the device to the nearest Apple Store and have them swap it out or fix the problem for you.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
It appears that I am not alone...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vzw-iphone-x-dropping-lte-constantly.2089045/
https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/comments/7cqpg4/iphone_x_dropping_lte_connection/

Official OS 11.1.2 was installed today, to no effect. Same problem persists. In fact, it got worse today, more frequent dropouts. LTE is barely ever acquired, and connection to the network drops out each time that LTE is connected, maybe in 5 minutes, maybe in 30 minutes. I tested everything using the same exact setup, iOS version, SIM, network, APN settings, on an iPhone 6s Plus that I have as well and it works 100% perfect. Only the X is having these issues. I am leaning towards defective LTE modem. If the issue was more widespread I think that we would be hearing about this all over. For now, while there are others, it seems to be somewhat rare, which is atypical of FW failures but typical of HW failures.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2