I HATE FaceID

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
So It's been 13 days since my wonderful iPhone X arrived and honestly it has mostly been 13 days of phone bliss. The phone flies, I like the Animoji much more than I thought I would, the camera is wonderful and the screen is awesome. Not having a home button took exactly 30 seconds to get used to and the software and apps all seem to work flawlessly. The one thing that is keeping this from being a home run to me is FaceID. I hate it. Now I have had 2 iPhone X's already as my first one came with scuffs right on the FaceID portion of the phone and so it seemed like that was causing issues but today is day 7 with my new one and I still have issues with it. It never works on the first try for me unless I have it directly in front of my face, it has trouble reading my face in the dark, specifically right before bed (maybe that's because I am laying down and have an extra chin), and it just seems so slow compared to TouchID which I never had issues with. I like a few things like the hiding of notifications until it recognizes your face but that's not enough for me to consider it a success. Who knows, maybe it's still learning and will eventually get faster but for now, I'd rather have TouchID 100 times out of 100.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear you having issues, but for myself, I love the technology and it's only going to get better. I have found myself not missing the home button at all and would find it hard to go back to using one after using gestures the past couple of weeks. Old with the old way and in with the new.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear you having issues, but for myself, I love the technology and it's only going to get better. I have found myself not missing the home button at all and would find it hard to go back to using one after using gestures the past couple of weeks. Old with the old way and in with the new.

Agreed I am not missing the home button, just TouchID, I feel like it could have been on the back A La the Pixel.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
The one thing that is keeping this from being a home run to me is FaceID. I hate it.

Well I will certainly admit I was shocked at how good face ID was for me coming from a Note 8 and an iris scanner that had a difficult time matching/aligning my irises with the little space that it had to register and finally unlock. I also have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium and the fingerprint sensor on the power button on the side worked great but never did I imagine that Face ID would be even better. It works absolutely seamlessly. I used to look at the screen, wait for it to unlock and then swipe but then I realized that I didn’t have to do that. All I have to do is start raising the phone to my face and swipe up and it unlocks as if it was never locked in the first place. Reminds me of the original swipe to unlock on old iPhones.

It’s so unfortunate that it doesn’t work that well for you. It kind of reminds me of the time that I was surfing the Note 8 forums and everybody was saying how the iris retina scanner worked perfectly for them and I could not understand how that would possibly be true since I was having such a hard time with it. I guess there’s certain physical characteristics of our faces that make these types of technologies work better for some than others.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So It's been 13 days since my wonderful iPhone X arrived and honestly it has mostly been 13 days of phone bliss. The phone flies, I like the Animoji much more than I thought I would, the camera is wonderful and the screen is awesome. Not having a home button took exactly 30 seconds to get used to and the software and apps all seem to work flawlessly. The one thing that is keeping this from being a home run to me is FaceID. I hate it. Now I have had 2 iPhone X's already as my first one came with scuffs right on the FaceID portion of the phone and so it seemed like that was causing issues but today is day 7 with my new one and I still have issues with it. It never works on the first try for me unless I have it directly in front of my face, it has trouble reading my face in the dark, specifically right before bed (maybe that's because I am laying down and have an extra chin), and it just seems so slow compared to TouchID which I never had issues with. I like a few things like the hiding of notifications until it recognizes your face but that's not enough for me to consider it a success. Who knows, maybe it's still learning and will eventually get faster but for now, I'd rather have TouchID 100 times out of 100.

If i recall correctly you have two slots for Face ID to identify. Use the second to set it up from a different angle, like while you’re in bed.

You will have less issues that way.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately you don’t have two slots Tartarus. But every time you have to unlock the phone after FaceID fails it learns more of your face. You can also turn off attention aware to make it work from more angles.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately you don’t have two slots Tartarus. But every time you have to unlock the phone after FaceID fails it learns more of your face. You can also turn off attention aware to make it work from more angles.

Thanks. I don’t know why I thought there were two Face ID slots, then.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I never want to go back to Touch ID. Face ID works 100% of the time for me, even when I don’t expect it to. I had the Note 8 before the iPhone X and like @jlczl said, Face ID is way better. The note 8 would tell me I was either too close or too far away, every time. I can hold my iPhone X with my arm fully extended and it still works. I really am impressed with this technology.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I feel you pain! I've got an appt for Sunday to have apple look at mine. Every time I lift and swipe up, the phone pauses, a greyish blur screen comes up says face id with the lock then it unlocks. Everyone I've talked to says that's not normal. I too wish touch id would've been added as well, or let me have a lock less phone but lock certain apps with face id, like my banking apps

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Try deleting it and setting up FaceID again and make sure you're in good lighting that doesn't have an overhead light shining into the camera. I had a few random problems at the beginning (slowness but not failure to unlock) and I redid the setup in good light where part of my face also wasn't more/less lit than the rest (mostly to make sure it couldn't blind the FaceID cameras during setup like having a light over your shoulder) and it's worked great since. I've never had it fail and need a PIN and usually it's instant.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I also recommend redoing the Face ID setup. Mine has been great. Though it sometimes hiccups a little and doesn’t unlock me before I complete my upward swipe, it has been fantastic. I was one who wasn’t going to get the X just because of Face ID but after reading reviews and deciding to give it a try, I think Apple got it right. Sure, it’ll need tweaks here and there, but our beloved home button wasn’t the greatest when it was first introduced, either. It took some time to get it to the perfection it became and I feel that Face ID will follow suit.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I never want to go back to Touch ID. Face ID works 100% of the time for me, even when I don’t expect it to. I had the Note 8 before the iPhone X and like @jlczl said, Face ID is way better. The note 8 would tell me I was either too close or too far away, every time. I can hold my iPhone X with my arm fully extended and it still works. I really am impressed with this technology.

I have the note 8 as well. The face unlock on my note will never work in low light or dark. The IPhone 10 has been spot on. Works almost every time. The only time I have issues is trying to unlock in bed in the morning.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
FaceID works "good enough" for me. It's definitely not seamless, for me. It's definitely not 100%, for me. And it's definitely not always faster than TouchID, for me.

I say it works "good enough" for me because I wasn't expecting perfection. And I didn't get it. Occasionally I have to type my password in (more than I previously did with TouchID). There are times where the angle in which I'm using my phone isn't supported by FaceID as well. I do hope it gets better with time. I'm also envious of all the people around here who say it works perfectly all the time for them. I've done the rescan and I just don't get those same results.

It works good enough. I'd say I have a 90% success rate. Which is good enough for me.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Face ID is constantly learning so if it doesn’t unlock depending on the current condition just put your PIN to unlock and the phone will remember it.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't miss TouchID at all. FaceID works well for me except when I'm lying in bed. I just position the phone better and it unlocks. I don't think I could ever go back to using an iPhone with TouchID ever again.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
FaceID works "good enough" for me. It's definitely not seamless, for me. It's definitely not 100%, for me. And it's definitely not always faster than TouchID, for me.
When it comes to convenience it’s like the 1927 Yankees vs 1916 Philly Athletics. Touch ID is the ‘27 Yankees.

Face ID definitely works. The tech is great and is going places. But there were many situations in my case where Touch ID prevails. It’s really annoying having to tilt your head a little here, a little there, or shift your body. Touch ID is seamless. Face ID is a “chore”

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711