I HATE FaceID

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody experimented with disabling the “Require Attention for Face ID” setting? Understanding that it’s less secure, are you noticing that it’s more accurate and/or unlocks faster compared to having the setting turned on?

I have that setting disabled. It's worked better for me because I'm not always looking directly at my phone when I'd like to use it. I wouldn't say it's faster or more accurate. It's just more convenient.

My issue is while I'm at my desk I don't always have a need to lift my phone up completely. So I've had to train myself to completely pick my phone up and raise it to detect my phones. Or if I'm checking my email as I wake up in the morning, I've got to make sure my face is fully visible while in bed otherwise my face won't be recognized until the second attempt. I think all my other quirks will be ironed out as FaceID trains itself.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
My Face ID works flawlessly. I absolutely love it. My one complaint is when the phone is flat you must physically pick it up to unlock whereas with Touch ID you can leave the phone on a desk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My Face ID works flawlessly. I absolutely love it. My one complaint is when the phone is flat you must physically pick it up to unlock whereas with Touch ID you can leave the phone on a desk

Can’t you just type in your passcode in for the iPhone to train that position of your face?

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only problem with Face ID I have is trying to unlock my phone in bed or when I first wake up and also while in the car (which I know I shouldn’t be doing anyway). Other than that, it’s not as convenient as Touch ID was in some circumstances but I’m sure over time it will get better. Touch ID 1st gen was a dumpster fire.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I am a bit miffed as to why Apple didn't embed a fingerprint reader as a default option on the side button. I mean its larger now and other manufacturers have successfully done it so it seems like it would make sense.

FaceID works very well for the most part, and it will continue to get better with software updates.

Others have done it in the power button but from the reviews I've seen it's not a very good implementation vs. the rear or somewhere else. It would be inferior to the TouchID setup and there's no way Apple would make that experience worse on their phones. I do think I back sensor would be a good "compromise" maybe put it under/in the Apple logo somehow. For me personally though I'm happy with FaceID. I used to have to put my PIN in once a day at least easily with TouchID. I haven't had to put it in once to unlock my phone in two weeks with the X now with the exception of showing off the phone to people and they cause it to lock. Just myself picking it up to use it though I've never had to PIN unlock it outside of the required after a restart one.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody experimented with disabling the “Require Attention for Face ID” setting? Understanding that it’s less secure, are you noticing that it’s more accurate and/or unlocks faster compared to having the setting turned on?

Not at all.
I prefer it to require my attention.

duffy108

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the note 8 as well. The face unlock on my note will never work in low light or dark. The IPhone 10 has been spot on. Works almost every time. The only time I have issues is trying to unlock in bed in the morning.

One thing I read that I found very helpful(I was also having trouble unlocking the phone in bed) was that people tend to hold the phone too close to their face while in bed which is what is causing problems. So the key is to just hold the phone further away and it should not be a problem.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You really appreciate it over TouchID if you have wet hands and need to unlock your phone pronto!
Fingerprint reader on the back? No way. Despise it! Through the screen? Don't expect to see this happening anytime soon or ever. Either use the convenience of FaceID or use a PIN or password.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
What I really like about FaceID is how notifications remain private on the lock screen until I look at them. And they pop up automatically when I do. But then revert back to private once I look away. Brilliant!

v6miller

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
I’ve had my x for a week and it’s been running smoothly until I did the last update where my Face ID stopped working and now won’t even let me set it back up

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had my x for a week and it’s been running smoothly until I did the last update where my Face ID stopped working and now won’t even let me set it back up

Reboot your device, login to your home screen using your lockscreen passcode and then set up FaceID again.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What I really like about FaceID is how notifications remain private on the lock screen until I look at them. And they pop up automatically when I do. But then revert back to private once I look away. Brilliant!
You can disable this under Settings > Notifications > Show Previews

Need to test my wife's 6s to see if she has it but she's not on the latest betas.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox