That is a shame, but I am having no issues with FaceID. Did you try reprogramming it?
    11-16-2017 08:09 PM
    My Face ID works like 98% of the time on first try.
    11-16-2017 08:11 PM
    Agreed I am not missing the home button, just TouchID, I feel like it could have been on the back A La the Pixel.
    If it’s on the back than you’d have to go caseless. I don’t do that with any of my phones.
    11-16-2017 09:15 PM
    If it’s on the back than you’d have to go caseless. I don’t do that with any of my phones.
    Actually, a case makes it easier to find the fingerprint sensor on the back of a phone.
    libra89 and MooMooPrincess like this.
    11-16-2017 09:25 PM
    How? If a case is covering it how do you use it? For example Samsung galaxy phones.
    11-16-2017 09:37 PM
    How? If a case is covering it how do you use it? For example Samsung galaxy phones.
    Here’s the official Google Pixel case by Google, that little hole is on every Pixel case. The Samsung’s for some reason have the fingerprint sensor next to the camera so the camera cutout is wider. Every other phone with a rear fingerprint sensor also has a cutout.

libra89 likes this.
    11-16-2017 09:41 PM
    Okay. I guess I understand now. Haven’t really looked at Samsung phones since Note 3. Been iPhones ever since.
    11-16-2017 09:44 PM
    I HATE TouchID.
    11-17-2017 12:04 AM
    I don't miss TouchID at all. FaceID works well for me except when I'm lying in bed. I just position the phone better and it unlocks. I don't think I could ever go back to using an iPhone with TouchID ever again.
    I don’t think I can either.
    Face ID is so much easier.
    11-17-2017 01:33 AM
    I would recommend resetting FaceID up. When you make sure you move your head in a circular motion. I was watching Jenna Ezarik (sister of ijustine) setup her FaceID and she just moved her head side to side awkwardly LOL to set it up and it didn’t work for her very well at all once she rescanned her face properly it worked flawlessly for her.
    11-17-2017 02:32 AM
    I am a bit miffed as to why Apple didn't embed a fingerprint reader as a default option on the side button. I mean its larger now and other manufacturers have successfully done it so it seems like it would make sense.

FaceID works very well for the most part, and it will continue to get better with software updates.
    11-17-2017 05:35 AM
    I am a bit miffed as to why Apple didn't embed a fingerprint reader as a default option on the side button. I mean its larger now and other manufacturers have successfully done it so it seems like it would make sense.

FaceID works very well for the most part, and it will continue to get better with software updates.
    When Apple makes a decision they stick to their guns (Apple calls it “courage”). They decided that Face ID is the future of user authentication.
    The good news is there are still current generation iPhones with Touch ID but, of course, you’ll make some other sacrifices for the time being.
    11-17-2017 06:45 AM
    FaceID works "good enough" for me. It's definitely not seamless, for me. It's definitely not 100%, for me. And it's definitely not always faster than TouchID, for me.

I say it works "good enough" for me because I wasn't expecting perfection. And I didn't get it. Occasionally I have to type my password in (more than I previously did with TouchID). There are times where the angle in which I'm using my phone isn't supported by FaceID as well. I do hope it gets better with time. I'm also envious of all the people around here who say it works perfectly all the time for them. I've done the rescan and I just don't get those same results.

It works good enough. I'd say I have a 90% success rate. Which is good enough for me.
    Pretty much my experience here.
    11-17-2017 08:02 AM
    Has anybody experimented with disabling the “Require Attention for Face ID” setting? Understanding that it’s less secure, are you noticing that it’s more accurate and/or unlocks faster compared to having the setting turned on?
    11-17-2017 08:28 AM
    I like the Face ID. One less thing to press. Recognition is fast and the phone is unlocked when I pick it up before I'm ready to use it.
    nr2d likes this.
    11-17-2017 09:13 AM
    Has anybody experimented with disabling the “Require Attention for Face ID” setting? Understanding that it’s less secure, are you noticing that it’s more accurate and/or unlocks faster compared to having the setting turned on?
    I have that setting disabled. It's worked better for me because I'm not always looking directly at my phone when I'd like to use it. I wouldn't say it's faster or more accurate. It's just more convenient.

My issue is while I'm at my desk I don't always have a need to lift my phone up completely. So I've had to train myself to completely pick my phone up and raise it to detect my phones. Or if I'm checking my email as I wake up in the morning, I've got to make sure my face is fully visible while in bed otherwise my face won't be recognized until the second attempt. I think all my other quirks will be ironed out as FaceID trains itself.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    11-17-2017 10:14 AM
    My Face ID works flawlessly. I absolutely love it. My one complaint is when the phone is flat you must physically pick it up to unlock whereas with Touch ID you can leave the phone on a desk
    11-17-2017 11:04 AM
    My Face ID works flawlessly. I absolutely love it. My one complaint is when the phone is flat you must physically pick it up to unlock whereas with Touch ID you can leave the phone on a desk
    Can’t you just type in your passcode in for the iPhone to train that position of your face?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-17-2017 11:45 AM
    Can’t you just type in your passcode in for the iPhone to train that position of your face?
    I can but it is annoying!
    11-17-2017 11:46 AM
    It will train Face ID by putting my passcode in??
    11-17-2017 11:46 AM
    It will train Face ID by putting my passcode in??
    Here is an article about it:
    https://www.imore.com/how-train-face...xpressions?amp
    11-17-2017 12:11 PM
    The only problem with Face ID I have is trying to unlock my phone in bed or when I first wake up and also while in the car (which I know I shouldn’t be doing anyway). Other than that, it’s not as convenient as Touch ID was in some circumstances but I’m sure over time it will get better. Touch ID 1st gen was a dumpster fire.
    11-17-2017 12:25 PM
    Interesting, wonder if it really works. Guess I’ll have to try
    11-17-2017 12:26 PM

Others have done it in the power button but from the reviews I've seen it's not a very good implementation vs. the rear or somewhere else. It would be inferior to the TouchID setup and there's no way Apple would make that experience worse on their phones. I do think I back sensor would be a good "compromise" maybe put it under/in the Apple logo somehow. For me personally though I'm happy with FaceID. I used to have to put my PIN in once a day at least easily with TouchID. I haven't had to put it in once to unlock my phone in two weeks with the X now with the exception of showing off the phone to people and they cause it to lock. Just myself picking it up to use it though I've never had to PIN unlock it outside of the required after a restart one.
    11-17-2017 04:34 PM
    Not at all.
    I prefer it to require my attention.
    11-18-2017 03:36 AM
70 123