Stereo Speakers...better/louder/clearer than the 7+?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
One of the main features that convinced me to upgrade from the 6+ to the 7+ were the stereo speakers and drastically improved volume and sound from those speakers on the 7+.

My iPhone X will be here in a couple of days (YAY!!!:dancing::rotfl:) and I'm wondering how the new speakers and sound volume/quality is on the new X versus my iPhone 7+.

Better? Worse? Louder/clearer? Quieter/less-clear?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
One of the main features that convinced me to upgrade from the 6+ to the 7+ were the stereo speakers and drastically improved volume and sound from those speakers on the 7+.

My iPhone X will be here in a couple of days (YAY!!!:dancing::rotfl:) and I'm wondering how the new speakers and sound volume/quality is on the new X versus my iPhone 7+.

So far quite sub-par compared to the 7 Plus. Sound is tiny and tinny. The volume definitely does not get nearly as high. Overall, it sounds more like a single, not-so-good speaker.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hmmmmmmmmm. This is not good.
No, it’s not. Speaker quality is definitely a noticeable step back after finally making a major improvement with the iPhone 7 Plus. I think next year with the larger iPhone X, or will it be iPhone XI Plus.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
No, it’s not. Speaker quality is definitely a noticeable step back after finally making a major improvement with the iPhone 7 Plus. I think next year with the larger iPhone X, or will it be iPhone XI Plus.

I'm supposed to get my X two days from now, and I'm thankful I have a 14-day trial. If the speakers suck that badly...I may be rocking an 8+ until next years offering.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm supposed to get my X two days from now, and I'm thankful I have a 14-day trial. If the speakers suck that badly...I may be rocking an 8+ until next years offering.
Everyone should match the phone to their needs. Some folks may not be sensitive to the speaker issue. I am, but also other pros so far outweigh the cons and therefore I am likely to keep mine. Plus, I love HDR10 and Dolby Vision for late night movie watching in bed. A good pair of headphones and an amp/DAC is anyway my choice always since I am a bit of an audiophile. Having said that, I do use the speaker extensively for phone-calls and so far the experience has been mediocre.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It’s better than the 7 Plus IMO.
25% louder as Apple stated, and it does sound clearer/crispier at higher volumes.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Better, more clear, and with a tiny bit more punch than my 7 Plus had. I think they're louder as well, but I traded my 7 Plus in for an S8+ so I'm going from memory. To me it seems the X speakers are better than my iPhone 8 too.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
They are definitely not better than the 7 Plus, unless the 7 Plus was having some issues. I feel very confident in saying that. In fact, I can confidently say that the speaker quality on the iPhone X is it’s worst feature.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
They are definitely not better than the 7 Plus, unless the 7 Plus was having some issues. I feel very confident in saying that. In fact, I can confidently say that the speaker quality on the iPhone X is it’s worst feature.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. On mine audio is much better.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have to respectfully disagree with you. On mine audio is much better.

I know volume and sound quality/clarity is subjective...just like earpiece speaker volume/quality. But, if the "X" speakers are at least as good as my 7+ I'll be a happy camper, and learn to live with all the new swipe/gesture stuff.

If not...I'll be keeping my 7+. Boom!

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I just played both the 8 plus and x at the same time maxed out with the same song. They both are just as good and sound difference is very minimal and would be user preference. I think the x is a bit clearer and the 8 plus a bit deeper but its not enough for me to care. Its a mute point in my opinion.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just played both the 8 plus and x at the same time maxed out with the same song. They both are just as good and sound difference is very minimal and would be user preference. I think the x is a bit clearer and the 8 plus a bit deeper but its not enough for me to care. Its a mute point in my opinion.

I believe the 8 Plus and the X are supposed to have the same speakers, and that they are supposed to be 25% louder than the 7 Plus.

My experience is that my X speakers are better than my 7 Plus. I suspect that the person who has poor sound from his X has an issue with his speakers.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe the 8 Plus and the X are supposed to have the same speakers, and that they are supposed to be 25% louder than the 7 Plus.

My experience is that my X speakers are better than my 7 Plus. I suspect that the person who has poor sound from his X has an issue with his speakers.
I think too many people are just looking for click bait. Throwing out anything and everything for attention. It always happens when apple releases a new product.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I think too many people are just looking for click bait. Throwing out anything and everything for attention. It always happens when apple releases a new product.
That's right. I'm just looking for clicks, on a forum, and now that I have them I am very happy. /s

Let's let the OP judge. I have spoken to several other iPhone X users whose opinion I consider trustworthy and their objective assessment was the same as mine. Everyone noticed the same tiny and tinny sound. Having other people corroborate what I observed helped me to clear up any doubts about having a bad device. Even reading the Reddit thread on speaker issues confirms that replacements made no or minimal difference.

But, as I said, let's let the OP judge the quality.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That's right. I'm just looking for clicks, on a forum, and now that I have them I am very happy. /s

Let's let the OP judge. I have spoken to several other iPhone X users whose opinion I consider trustworthy and their objective assessment was the same as mine. Everyone noticed the same tiny and tinny sound. Having other people corroborate what I observed helped me to clear up any doubts about having a bad device. Even reading the Reddit thread on speaker issues confirms that replacements made no or minimal difference.

But, as I said, let's let the OP judge the quality.

Its not for the OP or me or anyone to judge entirely. We give our opinions and that how it works.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know volume and sound quality/clarity is subjective...just like earpiece speaker volume/quality. But, if the "X" speakers are at least as good as my 7+ I'll be a happy camper, and learn to live with all the new swipe/gesture stuff.

If not...I'll be keeping my 7+. Boom!

I think you’ll notice the difference :)

robsawalker

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Wow, the X speakers are a huge improvement over the 7+. If you think the X speakers are quiet and tinny you need to return your phone. I upgraded from the 7+ to the X and they are much better and louder. No contest!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don’t know if the X speakers are better that the 7 Plus’ but they are pretty fantastic as is. Good stereo effect in landscape mode