Search Shows no Contacts

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
New iPhone X, iOS 11.1.1, whereas my 7+ (identical iOS level & settings), instantly shows contacts, when performing a search (by pulling down in the middle of the home screen), the X does not show ANY contacts, when doing exactly the same.

It searches in maps, the web, Evernote, and in many other places, but not in contacts. Yes, contacts are fully enabled for Siri search.

I even took many other apps out from Siri search, as I though there might be too many - but still no contacts showed.

This is no good - searching for contacts is probably the most important search feature for me (yes I can go straight into contacts, but that is not how it was meant to be imho).

Any idea?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
So here is my answer to my question:

as I'm synching contacts with my Gmail account, I disabled contacts synch in the account, on the phone. Answered YES to delete all contacts from phone. Waited a few seconds, then re-enabled contacts synch. Waited another few seconds for all contacts to get re-downloaded from my Gmail account, then performed another search, and contacts immediately showed as a result.

I don't know why, but apparently iOS/Siri needs this kind of 'reset' in order to realize that there is something in contacts, although there already was something, after restoring the account, and its settings and its contacts from an iCloud backup from another iPhone.

Resolved.