Those with 64gb..

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
..do you regret it? Would be great to hear how those with 64gb variants are getting along.

Me personally, I have taken a fair amount of videos and pictures and have a ton of apps and still have almost 40gb free.

Not sure if 256gb is required given cloud storage options and all.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
..do you regret it? Would be great to hear how those with 64gb variants are getting along.

Me personally, I have taken a fair amount of videos and pictures and have a ton of apps and still have almost 40gb free.

Not sure if 256gb is required given cloud storage options and all.

I know you’re asking those who have the 64GB device, but wanted to put my 2¢. I have always purchased the highest version Apple has made in each model. I used to take loads of pictures & videos, downloaded a lot of movies & music (and I have a huge collection). I liked having that “worry free” feeling. With the X I decided to still get the highest one (256GB), but now finding myself going the opposite route with how I used to handle all the space I had. I’m now streaming music, though I do have a couple playlists with not so many songs. I have some movies downloaded too. The main memory hog are my pics/videos. Like you said, there is iCloud and other cloud services. It really is up to you if you want to cough up the extra $100 for more space. I personally still would in my case, just for the freedom of having what I want when I want it. Also depends on your data plan, streaming music & movies can take quite a bit & also downloading your pictures or videos if you decide to have it on your phone. I would take that into consideration if you are restricted in your data plan. I’m not quite sure if you already have the X and just want to see how others are handling their memory or if you are looking for advice, but just wanted to give my input. I do hope it helps.

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I know you’re asking those who have the 64GB device, but wanted to put my 2¢. I have always purchased the highest version Apple has made in each model. I used to take loads of pictures & videos, downloaded a lot of movies & music (and I have a huge collection). I liked having that “worry free” feeling. With the X I decided to still get the highest one (256GB), but now finding myself going the opposite route with how I used to handle all the space I had. I’m now streaming music, though I do have a couple playlists with not so many songs. I have some movies downloaded too. The main memory hog are my pics/videos. Like you said, there is iCloud and other cloud services. It really is up to you if you want to cough up the extra $100 for more space. I personally still would in my case, just for the freedom of having what I want when I want it. Also depends on your data plan, streaming music & movies can take quite a bit & also downloading your pictures or videos if you decide to have it on your phone. I would take that into consideration if you are restricted in your data plan. I’m not quite sure if you already have the X and just want to see how others are handling their memory or if you are looking for advice, but just wanted to give my input. I do hope it helps.

Thanks for your review and comments - I currently own a 64gb Silver X - I have also always opted for the highest available size in all previous models but the 64gb was all I was able to bag on pre-order day. Just curious to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Here in the UK data is not too bad (20gb). Like you I store no music as everything I listen to is either on Spotify, Soundcloud or Mixcloud. Only movies I download are ‘offline’ mode from Netflix. My only worry is Apps for which I have ~40gb. Rest aside I’ve got the box standard 5gb iCloud allowance and think at 0.79 pence for 50gb is a steal.

I am in two minds regarding exchanging for 256gb variant still though :(.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
No regrets at all. In fact, I would have regretted purchasing the 256GB version. There is no way I will ever fill up the storage on my 64, because all of my stuff is in the cloud. TV shows, movies, music, and pictures are all stored on various cloud services. I can understand if someone doesn’t want to live the Cloud life. It would then make perfect sense to purchase the 256. For me, 64 is more than enough.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your review and comments - I currently own a 64gb Silver X - I have also always opted for the highest available size in all previous models but the 64gb was all I was able to bag on pre-order day. Just curious to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Here in the UK data is not too bad (20gb). Like you I store no music as everything I listen to is either on Spotify, Soundcloud or Mixcloud. Only movies I download are ‘offline’ mode from Netflix. My only worry is Apps for which I have ~40gb. Rest aside I’ve got the box standard 5gb iCloud allowance and think at 0.79 pence for 50gb is a steal.

I am in two minds regarding exchanging for 256gb variant still though :(.

How long do you have until you can return the device? A friend of mine is in the same boat, he wanted the 256GB, but 64GB was the only one available. He still ordered the 256GB, but has to wait. He’s hoping that it comes before his return date so he can just swap it in.

Some factors to also think about is how you’ve been using your space in past devices. If you’ve always stayed below 64GB, then no worries. Are you planning on upgrading next year? If so, maybe stick with the 64GB and test out how the smaller memory works out for you. You seem to be doing ok so far, unless you decide to download huge files soon lol.

However, if you do have second doubts now maybe look into swapping it out. For me, spending the $100 for 4x the memory is worth it. I like being able to be worry free with my phone and I don’t have to concern myself with laggy phones if my phone gets full.

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
How long do you have until you can return the device? A friend of mine is in the same boat, he wanted the 256GB, but 64GB was the only one available. He still ordered the 256GB, but has to wait. He’s hoping that it comes before his return date so he can just swap it in.

Some factors to also think about is how you’ve been using your space in past devices. If you’ve always stayed below 64GB, then no worries. Are you planning on upgrading next year? If so, maybe stick with the 64GB and test out how the smaller memory works out for you. You seem to be doing ok so far, unless you decide to download huge files soon lol.

However, if you do have second doubts now maybe look into swapping it out. For me, spending the $100 for 4x the memory is worth it. I like being able to be worry free with my phone and I don’t have to concern myself with laggy phones if my phone gets full.

I have 14 days from 3rd Nov (so Friday).

I usually get the latest every year so now I’m back on contemplating your suggestion to see out the year with 64gb.

Only concern which you have highlighted is if the phone becomes sluggish as time goes by and the capacity gets used up.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I got the 256 because if I use less than a certain amount of data on my unlimited plan I get credited $10 back on my next month's bill. That makes me want to keep as much music on device as possible. $10 doesn't sound like much, but it covers the cost of the data on my AW Series 3.

I'm also trying to cut back on streaming services. I cancelled both Hulu and Apple Music. Thinking about cancelling Netflix, but I will probably keep Prime because I get more than just streaming with it. That means any music, movies, or TV shows will have to be on device.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I have 14 days from 3rd Nov (so Friday).

I usually get the latest every year so now I’m back on contemplating your suggestion to see out the year with 64gb.

Only concern which you have highlighted is if the phone becomes sluggish as time goes by and the capacity gets used up.

I’m not sure if you can get a 256GB by Friday, but maybe try if you decide to go that route. What’s the most you’ve used on your devices? If it’s always been less than 85% then try sticking with it for this year, then you’ll have an idea on how much you’ll need for future purchases.

amzi160586

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah it’s always been less than 85% - having said that, I’d load up the 256gb in last with circa 100gb music (just a nice to have, not a necessity given Spotify and what not)

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it’s always been less than 85% - having said that, I’d load up the 256gb in last with circa 100gb music (just a nice to have, not a necessity given Spotify and what not)

Like I’ve said, it is nice having the freedom to have the larger space to have whatever you want on the device with you rather than on the cloud. It seems you may want to go that route, but I do hope you can find a device before your return due date OR you can just return it and wait for the 256GB whenever you can get it, though I’d be really impatient on waiting lol.

bailman

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with others, I have always bought the most available storage model. I would rather have the extra space and not need it, than need it and not have it. Just my .2

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
I bought the 64 gig(in error) and I regret it. I need the 256. I'm already at 59 and like to have everything with me plus I take a ton of video and want to take advantage of the higher FPS. I have 10 days to find a 256.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I purchased my space grey 64 gig model on the preorder day and haven’t regretted it one bit. More then enough memory for my needs.

With all my apps and photos, I still have 49 gig free and will never use all of that. Going to buy the same model for my nephew for Christmas.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I got apps and system down to 24G in minutes cleaning out apps I don’t use. I haven’t had it long but I don’t foresee any space issues.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure that all I needed was 64gb. Just a year ago 64 was huge. My anxiety made me get the 256 but currently im using 24gb.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
When I waited in line at Verizon for mine I had no intention of keeping it. I’d planned on turning around and flipping it. Next thing I know my 8 Plus is in the drawer and I’m setting up Face ID

I’ve only got about 30 GB used, I could have survived on a 64, but lord knows when Verizon will have one in stock, and I only have two or three more days left in the return period. I’m happy.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I really wish they would have done a 128 GB option. I think 64 GB and 256 GB are two extreme ends of the spectrum where 128, for me, would have been perfect. I went with the 256 GB in my 7 Plus and it was quite a bit. I didn't get close to half of that. But 64 GB wouldn't work for me. So I have the 256 GB X. It's a lot, but I'm more comfortable with that than I would be with the 64 GB. It's better to have too much than too little of something, in my opinion.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My 64gb iPhone X is on the way and will be in my hands in a couple of days. That said, I don't regret at all getting the smaller storage device. I totally over-bought last time with my 256gb iPhone 7+ because I couldn't find a matte black Plus anywhere else and simply bought what I found...and I have 237.66gb of space available right now!:biggrin:

I use my iPhone primarily as a communication device, don't store a lot of music, nor do I take massive amounts of pictures...so 64gb will probably do me just fine.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I took a step back from my 128gb iPhone 7 to the 64gb X. This was kind of a big move for me since I’m a mother of three ... and you know how mamas like to take pics and videos of their kids. I only stream music now and store my pics on the cloud, so didn’t see a need for the 256gb ... also the price tag was already steep enough for the 64gb X, I couldn’t really justify the extra cost .... esp since I upgrade every year. Right now, I have 27gb free. I am pretty confident I can stretch it out a year. 128gb would’ve been ideal to give me some breathing room, but that is clearly not an option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods