What would make the iPhone X perfect?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
A larger size X would be great. The print seems too small compared to the iPhone 8 plus.

Haha! I got an 8 to hold me over until the X went up for preorder. I felt like I needed a microscope to read text on that thing. Print is much larger on the X than the 8.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have a complaint with the device itself so in that regard, it’s already perfect for ‘my’ use. With that in mind, I have several things I’d like to see changed or added in regard to iOS, but that for another thread.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If I listed everything it'd sound like I'm not happy with my X which I am, but nothing's perfect. I would be interested to see how much wider the phone would be if Apple stuck to a 16:9 display.

If you made the X (with the current screen height) but kept the screen 16:9, obviously the phone would be even wider than the 8 Plus. I'm not wanting to do measuring at the moment, but I'm thinking it may add as much as a half inch in width.

Personally, I'm one of those that is happy to have a similar sized screen to the 8 Plus (just difference aspect ratio) in a phone roughly the width of the iPhone 8. If Apple does make an "X Plus," I don't see myself ever buying it. Like mem0511, I tried an iPhone 7 and ended up returning it, I couldn't deal with the smaller text. The X seems close to perfect, for me, that way.

What I'd change is, first, I'd like to see the top bar (where the battery icon, signal strength, and clock are) to be blacked out pretty much all the time, to "hide" the notch. I don't need that bar to match the color of the app, unless the app is actually going to use that space for something useful; I'd just as soon keep a black bar at the top.

I'd also like to see an option to swap out the battery icon for a percentage, since you don't have room for both as on previous iPhones.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think slightly wider would be perfect so you could get 16:9 videos that have just a little pillarboxing to avoid the notch but take up the full width of the screen (height in landscape orientation). If 16:9 is too much maybe a 12:5 ratio so 16:9 has a little pillar box but the really widescreen movies could be full screen on it with no top/bottom bars. Right now if you zoom a 2.39:1 type movie (like Wonder Woman) you lose all around because it zooms in past the edges.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
True full screen support in all applications. Faster FaceID.

If we could get those two things then this phone would truly be a homerun.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Since space is at a premium instead of 100% displaying for full battery how about just a number. Or as in some Android configurations using Xposed/3min battery etc. a number inside a circle OR the number inside the battery icon. For signal strength just a number in -dBm would be perfect.

As for physical changes make the glass on front and back out of aluminum oxide "sapphire" like apple watch. I recently got a series 3 SS to replace my original series 0 that's 2 1/2 years old of hard use. Going over the original watch I find the crystal is in perfect condition. I cannot tell you how many doorknobs it has struck. If our phones had at least the display glass made of this material, complaints of tiny scratches as well as deeper ones that can be felt with a fingernail, would be gone. Since the back is also glass and subject to scratches from dirt in a case I'd say make it with the same material too. As expensive as this phone is, it should be made that way.

If the 64GB X (as it is now) was $899 and the 256 was $1049 the demand would be even higher, right? That's one area I won't touch as I'm sure Apple has spent many millions in marketing research to determine price points. But around this time of the year many would rather have that $100 extra in their pockets! Especially caseoholics. ;)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I've often wondered why they don't make the glass out of the sapphire. The only conclusion I can come up with is that a screen sized sapphire glass is just too expensive to put on the phone. Just look at the price difference between the two Watch model material configs. Aluminum vs stainless isn't that big a difference. I agree though the Android style battery icon with a % inside it should be no issue and would look just fine. As a former Android user I'm actually surprised they didn't do it that way.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've often wondered why they don't make the glass out of the sapphire. The only conclusion I can come up with is that a screen sized sapphire glass is just too expensive to put on the phone. Just look at the price difference between the two Watch model material configs. Aluminum vs stainless isn't that big a difference. I agree though the Android style battery icon with a % inside it should be no issue and would look just fine. As a former Android user I'm actually surprised they didn't do it that way.

Yeah it would be way too expensive, and there won’t be enough supply IMO.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

One of the issues with Sapphire glass is, while it is harder to scratch, it is also more "brittle". If you drop your phone, the a sapphire screen would be even more likely to crack than the current glass screens. Combined with the added expense of sapphire glass, you are looking at an even more expensive purchase price and a higher price to repair the screen and back panel.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I accept that no phone is perfect but i think Apple are too far away from perfection simply because they do not listen to what the consumer wants. They believe they know best and they do as they please and pretty much leave the consumer to like it or lump it. Ironically however they have an almost cult following and get away with it. Samsung on the other hand in my opinion try to give the consumer what they want.

Iam an S8 owner and cannot fault the S8 in any aspect personally but i feel i would like a change and am considering the Iphone X but i cannot help but feel that to own an Iphone means accepting that you pretty much must pay more to own less.

I have no doubt that the Iphone X is a great device but so are many other handsets that are almost half the price. Thats my biggest problem with Apple. Its arguably not even the best device on the market yet somehow Apple feel its worth being the most expensive device to own!

For this phone to be worth its money and close to perfection Apple need to first of all include a fast charger for god sake and stop milking the consumer for every penny they have. At the very least, sell it at a reasonable price! 75 bucks is crazy. Secondly they should have listened to the consumer and NOT removed the headphone jack. Its not an issue for me personally but its apparent that the majority of people WANT a headphone jack but apple simply do not care what you want. They could have also moved touch i.d to the back (maybe remove it altogether when you have face i.d perfected) but for now i think it was silly removing it when it could have easily being implemented!

These things may not seem necessary but imo are features that you only appreciate when you lose them! Thats an LED notification light for a start! Its such a handy feature and so easy to implement that i cannot understand why apple never introduced this! (Iam aware you can use the flash but its not the same) I keep my phone on silent during the night and the led light on my s8 ensures i never miss a notification plus i dont have to constantly check/wake my device!

Customisation is something too that allows the user to really personalise their device and make it their own but Apple pretty much want the device to own you rather then you own the device! Your pretty much stuck with how things look and its kind of boring. In fact the homescreen is virtually the exact same as it was on the very first iphone 10 years ago.

If Apple addressed all of the above then i think they would clean out the whole market even at its current price! Its still a great device but just not worth its asking price!

I would still consider it but not because i feel its an upgrade over what i have or anything! Just purely for change! The price tag however is what stops me.

Out of interest. Has anyone here switched from an S8 or similar and are they happy with the X and if so, why?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Landscape mode would be nice, as well as some sort of reachability mode like the Plus, although without a home button, not sure how it would be implemented... maybe a double bottom swipe or something similar.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Landscape mode would be nice, as well as some sort of reachability mode like the Plus, although without a home button, not sure how it would be implemented... maybe a double bottom swipe or something similar.

The iPhone X has reachability.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Oh really? Haha... how do you do it?

It is turned off by default; you turn it on in Settings>General<Accessibility. Once you have turned it on, you just pull down on the screen at the bottom of the phone, maybe a mm or two above the "home line." It's pretty easy once you get the gesture figured out.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It is turned off by default; you turn it on in Settings>General<Accessibility. Once you have turned it on, you just pull down on the screen at the bottom of the phone, maybe a mm or two above the "home line." It's pretty easy once you get the gesture figured out.

Just tried it... doesn’t work all that well. But thanks for letting me know it existed.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it... doesn’t work all that well. But thanks for letting me know it existed.

I think it is mostly a learning curve, like some of the other gestures (like bring up the app switcher). I have no issue with reachability.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner