Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
While the Silver may show micro abrasions more quickly, at least they can be polished out. I screwed up and bumped my Space Black Apple Watch on something, and now there's a nice gouge in it. There's really nothing I can do b/c of the coating on it. I know that the watch and iPhone have different methods to get the darker color, but underneath they're both silver so a deeper scratch will be more obvious.
IMG_0194.jpg

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I really like the silver version. Really worried about that silver bezel getting scratched up and looking awful though. My S8 was the midnight black model with black bezels and never picked up a single scratch so iam thinking i should stick to the same variant with the iPhone x but that silver model just keeps calling me. Ahhhhh what do i do ha

I have had the the silver X for about 3 weeks now and there are a few little scratches on the bezel that you can only see in the right lighting and if you’re looking for them. I expected this as my stainless Apple Watch is all banged up with these types of scratches.

Even so, I’m happy that I went with the silver X but totally understand why these would bother people and also cause them to choose the gray variant.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I’ve uses them several times on my stainless  watch and like them. Haven’t had to use them on my phone yet thankfully.

I used cape cod wipes on my silver X. Mostly because the bottom being exposed from apple leather case. It does not make your phone look perfect but it does make it look much better. They do work pretty well. Tried them yesterday for the first time. Anybody who has silver should own these wipes.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had my silver X since December.
I took the unopened box to Best Buy, got two Apple leather cases, and had them install a glass screen protector.
I just took the case off and there is not a single scratch or abrasion on the sides, bottom, or back of the phone.
Perhaps folks had small bits of grit or dirt on the phone when the cases were put on?

Edit: Actually I lied. I just took a picture and of the bottom of the phone and biggified it, and there are some tiny abrasions. Wouldn’t have known if it hadn’t been for this thread.
fb3fa1376b42fe2d969792470f391255.jpg

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had my silver X since December.
I took the unopened box to Best Buy, got two Apple leather cases, and had them install a glass screen protector.
I just took the case off and there is not a single scratch or abrasion on the sides, bottom, or back of the phone.
Perhaps folks had small bits of grit or dirt on the phone when the cases were put on?

Edit: Actually I lied. I just took a picture and of the bottom of the phone and biggified it, and there are some tiny abrasions. Wouldn’t have known if it hadn’t been for this thread.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180201/fb3fa1376b42fe2d969792470f391255.jpg

That’s a lot of abrasions to first think you had none. Most people don’t think they do on their silver. Until they really look.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
While I keep my devices cased it’d not surprise me if I took the case off and found scratches. It’s too bad the choice was made to use the 7K series aluminum or titanium or ceramic (Essential phone).

It is what it is.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
While the Silver may show micro abrasions more quickly, at least they can be polished out. I screwed up and bumped my Space Black Apple Watch on something, and now there's a nice gouge in it. There's really nothing I can do b/c of the coating on it. I know that the watch and iPhone have different methods to get the darker color, but underneath they're both silver so a deeper scratch will be more obvious.
View attachment 121154

Doe's shiny silver show through on the space black after you scratch it?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods