Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Found faint scratches on my stainless steel now too. I change cases every few days, and that has got to be the culprit. I guess I will just wait until they accumulate to a certain point and then buff them out.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171129/849c957561fa0b8d33ae608307c69a80.jpeg I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..

That looks like damage from a hard case like the Otterbox Defender. Do you put it in any cases at all?

What kind of Micro Fiber is that with the white back?

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I do not know what to do :( Much prefer the look of the stainless steel but micro scratches would annoy me terrible! Space grey feels the safer bet but iam just not a fan of how it looks

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely there must be some sort of clear coating apple could have used to keep the stainless steel from scratching so easily whilst still retaining its premium look ? Kinda like on the space grey i guess but clear

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Surely there must be some sort of clear coating apple could have used to keep the stainless steel from scratching so easily whilst still retaining its premium look ? Kinda like on the space grey i guess but clear

Yes, but that would be the logical thing to do, and we all know how "common" common-sense really is...

bchain996

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
That looks like damage from a hard case like the Otterbox Defender. Do you put it in any cases at all?

What kind of Micro Fiber is that with the white back?

Only case I’ve used is peel case and apple silicone case. Microfiber is one I bought specifically for phones and I only use it for phones while washing it with every load of laundry lol. My mind is blown how this happened. Just gonna buy another and give this one to my mom she doesn’t care about scratches

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
There are all sorts of coatings you can use on steel to make it scratch resistant, which I'm assuming apple is already using. The problem is one little tiny speck of sand inside a phone case is going to have a much higher hardness than steel is. For example the steel you have in your phone is somewhere between a 6-8 on the mohs hardness scale. A little tiny speck of sand is a 7! You can scratch something with the same hardness or higher. The problem is they could harden the steel more to make it more scratch resistant but it would make it brittle. A good example of this would be tungsten carbide that they make rings out of. Anyone who's ever dropped a virtually scratch proof tungsten ring on a tile floor will tell you that while it might not ever scratch one hard surface drop will cause it to shatter. You have to let the steel be hard enough to not scratch as easy as plastic or deal with the consequences of having a brittle material. The scratches you see on the bezel can luckily be polished out no problem. You could always look up a good metal polisher who could mirror shine the bezel right up for you.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171129/849c957561fa0b8d33ae608307c69a80.jpeg I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..

That’s totally fine.
It shows that you’ve used the device as it’s meant to be.
It adds a personal characteristic to your iPhone.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
That’s totally fine.
It shows that you’ve used the device as it’s meant to be.
It adds a personal characteristic to your iPhone.

I agree with this, but I understand how the little scratches would bother someone.

I use an Apple silicone case and I noticed that my silver X has the little micro scratches on the bezel where exposed. I took my case off to clean the phone, and sure enough, there are a few scratches already on the band where covered by the case, and I’ve only had the phone a few days. It doesn’t really bother me though, and this is what I expected based on how my SS Apple Watch looks after a year of use.

I do think resale value would be diminished on the silver X with scratches, but probably not as much as presently thought. Plus the superficial marks likely won’t matter if traded in on the iPhone upgrade program or similar carrier plan.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this, but I understand how the little scratches would bother someone.

I use an Apple silicone case and I noticed that my silver X has the little micro scratches on the bezel where exposed. I took my case off to clean the phone, and sure enough, there are a few scratches already on the band where covered by the case, and I’ve only had the phone a few days. It doesn’t really bother me though, and this is what I expected based on how my SS Apple Watch looks after a year of use.

I do think resale value would be diminished on the silver X with scratches, but probably not as much as presently thought. Plus the superficial marks likely won’t matter if traded in on the iPhone upgrade program or similar carrier plan.

It’ll definitely affect the resale value.
I myself get bothered by scratches, but I tend to get used to them over time. Silver stainless steel gets scratched quite easily.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It’ll definitely affect the resale value.
I myself get bothered by scratches, but I tend to get used to them over time. Silver stainless steel gets scratched quite easily.

It really does scratch easily. The first scratch bothers me; the next ones don’t. I’ve not dropped my phone or put it in a pocket with keys, change, etc, and I’ve already got the scratches showing up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It really does scratch easily. The first scratch bothers me; the next ones don’t. I’ve not dropped my phone or put it in a pocket with keys, change, etc, and I’ve already got the scratches showing up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, it happened to my automatic watches too.
Steel tends to scratch too easily, which is bleh.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Those markings look like a case or something based on their even spacing and being in the same direction. Get some Cape Cod wipes and they'll come right out unless they're gouges. Scratches are easy.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have ordered two packs of Cape Cod wipes. I think I’m going to stick to my Silver X and will definitely need to buff out these scratches at some point in time. By the way, would masking of the glass be required when using Cape Cod on the stainless steel?

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Those markings look like a case or something based on their even spacing and being in the same direction. Get some Cape Cod wipes and they'll come right out unless they're gouges. Scratches are easy.

Agree. Seems like coming from a case. He mentioned that he always clean his phone so he always take out the case. Some silicone case have rough edges.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have ordered two packs of Cape Cod wipes. I think I’m going to stick to my Silver X and will definitely need to buff out these scratches at some point in time. By the way, would masking of the glass be required when using Cape Cod on the stainless steel?

Just go easy and you shouldn’t have to. But you can if you want :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox