Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You prefer the polished edge? Don’t think I even considered space gray so didn’t even look to see what it looked like 🤣

Yes. Black got too greasy. I much prefer silver now that I’ve had both. And you can polish the silver.
3d37a0c0e1f3f2658ca6a2045275123a.jpg

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
B6B4E9C6-3AC6-45A5-8517-72FB4F2C80BB.jpegFCF5F3CD-D611-4EB6-B593-48B559A7A985.jpeg

Silver is the better bet of you want to see minimal scratches or want to polish it. If I had grey I would be using wireless charging. having a painted coating on stainless steel just isn't going to end well.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that was my fear too

This is the same thing I was seeing in my local Apple Store. I will say that this is unlikely to happen at home unless you're a brute. Most people aren't going to bang their device with the connector over and over again to strip the coating but if you drop it...well, that's a whole another story.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
This is the same thing I was seeing in my local Apple Store. I will say that this is unlikely to happen at home unless you're a brute. Most people aren't going to bang their device with the connector over and over again to strip the coating but if you drop it...well, that's a whole another story.

It will happen with time. The same way it happens on everything stainless steel. I would definelty use wireless charging with the grey.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the stainless steel looks much nicer than the space gray all scratched up!

I have 2  cases with the open bottom that I’m returning today because of what the Scratches on the stainless edge! Not taking a chance with scratches.

So far I can’t see any scratches on mine..

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
It will happen with time. The same way it happens on everything stainless steel. I would definelty use wireless charging with the grey.
I agree it will. The life of this phone for me is a maximum of one year and if properly taken care of and not dropped, it should be unlikely to occur. I still have a Space Gray X coming next week and will see whether I will keep it or the Silver. I very much like the Silver color, but there is some utilitarian charm to the Space Gray.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree it will. The life of this phone for me is a maximum of one year and if properly taken care of and not dropped, it should be unlikely to occur. I still have a Space Gray X coming next week and will see whether I will keep it or the Silver. I very much like the Silver color, but there is some utilitarian charm to the Space Gray.

I like the grey better but hate marks.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site

Agreed. Glad I have a bunch of wireless chargers around from my Android phones and I use Bluetooth headphones. I’ll never be plugging anything into the lightning port so hopefully won’t ever get any marks on mine.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven’t investigated my phone enough between daily case swaps to look. Would I go with space gray over the silver in either case? Nope. Love the silver. Reminiscent of my iPhone 4/4S days. Loved that lovely white color.

This, exactly.

I try to take care of my devices, but I’ll buy the color I want - silver in this case - without regard on how it may sell later, etc. I’m the one who has to use it for a year or more and so I want to enjoy it during that time. If you trade in to Apple on the iPhone upgrade program or to your carrier on one of their plans the scratches don’t matter anyways. Plus, the SS band on the silver is very reminiscent of the first iPhone.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
This, exactly.

I try to take care of my devices, but I’ll buy the color I want - silver in this case - without regard on how it may sell later, etc. I’m the one who has to use it for a year or more and so I want to enjoy it during that time. If you trade in to Apple on the iPhone upgrade program or to your carrier on one of their plans the scratches don’t matter anyways. Plus, the SS band on the silver is very reminiscent of the first iPhone.
No doubt the silver is the nicer of the two colours.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could be like you. I’m not being sarcastic either. I worry about scratching my phones and watches so much that it’s driving me crazy. Hopefully one day I can overcome my fears and not worry so much.

You aren’t alone. I use mine caseless while in the house but I refuse to leave the house without a case. These phones cost too much for me to be so carefree. Even if the drop doesn’t crack the screen, gashes in the casing would drive me nuts lol. For a $1000+ phone, I need to keep this thing as close to mint as possible lol.

bchain996

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
849c957561fa0b8d33ae608307c69a80.jpeg
I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro