Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine is starting show show scratches and scuffs everywhere even where the apple leather case covers as well. So I swapped to space gray today. Hopefully that holds up better.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine is starting show show scratches and scuffs everywhere even where the apple leather case covers as well. So I swapped to space gray today. Hopefully that holds up better.

I had silver at first but when I went from an att to Verizon model, all they had was gray and I didn’t hesitate bc of the stuff I read in this thread. I like both colors so kinda glad I have the gray now.

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
That’s brilliant.
I personally wouldn’t worry too much about scratches, it adds some character to it

Not so brilliant! Just OCD.

But really, I’ll be OK with a scratch or so AFTER a couple of months. My Series 0 SS AW has scratches that I haven’t even bothered to buff out. Also, I fussed over my navy blue mica car for first few months, you know, parking way at the end of the lot. Now, I’m squeezing into the closest spot, because inevitably, it’s got scratches.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had silver at first but when I went from an att to Verizon model, all they had was gray and I didn’t hesitate bc of the stuff I read in this thread. I like both colors so kinda glad I have the gray now.

Me too. I had a T-Mobile version as I’m with tmo but a got the space gray Verizon model from Apple since it’s unlocked to work on any GSM/CDMA carrier.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Me too. I had a T-Mobile version as I’m with tmo but a got the space gray Verizon model from Apple since it’s unlocked to work on any GSM/CDMA carrier.
Kind of off-topic, but are you saying that the Verizon model purchased outright from the Apple Store in the US is fully unlocked, even after first SIM is inserted? I’m interested in that model for two reasons. First, that’s the only truly global model, A1865, and second because it uses the Qualcomm modem and not Intel like the A1901 and A1902. Intel modem has proven to be quite problematic so far.

Let me know :)

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site

Did you have to have a Verizon account to purchase that carrier? T-MOBILE is my carrier, but I would prefer the GSM/CDMA version.

Seems like when I tried to order from Apple online, the order process started to ask about my phone number, making me think it was going to transfer my number to Verizon. If I can just go in the store and do this directly, with no activation requirements, I’d have what I want.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Did you have to have a Verizon account to purchase that carrier? T-MOBILE is my carrier, but I would prefer the GSM/CDMA version.

Seems like when I tried to order from Apple online, the order process started to ask about my phone number, making me think it was going to transfer my number to Verizon. If I can just go in the store and do this directly, with no activation requirements, I’d have what I want.

No Vzn account. It no longer asks to verify vzn account when ordering for in store pickup. I did it online yesterday.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Kind of off-topic, but are you saying that the Verizon model purchased outright from the Apple Store in the US is fully unlocked, even after first SIM is inserted? I’m interested in that model for two reasons. First, that’s the only truly global model, A1865, and second because it uses the Qualcomm modem and not Intel like the A1901 and A1902. Intel modem has proven to be quite problematic so far.

Let me know :)

If paid retail from Apple, it’s fully unlocked. I can’t guarantee your carrier won’t lock it once you put a sim in. That will be a question for your carrier.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If paid retail from Apple, it’s fully unlocked. I can’t guarantee your carrier won’t lock it once you put a sim in. That will be a question for your carrier.

The Verizon model is fully unlocked. I’m using one on ATT right now. It shouldn’t lock down by the carrier if you paid in full for it.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

The Verizon model is fully unlocked. I’m using one on ATT right now. It shouldn’t lock down by the carrier if you paid in full for it.
Thank you ladies & gentlemen. I think I need to look for a way to pick up the A1865 model to bring it to Canada. I'll discuss this with Apple tonight during my support call with them.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you gentlemen. I think I need to look for a way to pick up the A1865 model to bring it to Canada. I'll discuss this with Apple tonight during my support call with them.

I’d just reserve one when they’re available on their site. Easiest way to do it.

Also, I’m a lady, not a gentleman

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I’d just reserve one when they’re available on their site. Easiest way to do it.

Also, I’m a lady, not a gentleman

:D fixed! The A1865 is not sold in Canada unfortunately. I would have to get somebody to buy a Verizon device for me and ship it to me. I'll talk to a couple of friends in the US. There is also the question of warranty, but I will inquire with Apple about that.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
:D fixed! The A1865 is not sold in Canada unfortunately. I would have to get somebody to buy a Verizon device for me and ship it to me. I'll talk to a couple of friends in the US. There is also the question of warranty, but I will inquire with Apple about that.

Oh gotcha. Maybe wait for them to come out with their sim free model then .....

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
... and second because it uses the Qualcomm modem and not Intel like the A1901 and A1902. Intel modem has proven to be quite problematic so far.

This is the reason I want to change from the TMO version that I have now. I do think I am having connectivity issues in my home with this X. Reception is typically poor in my home but I’ve never had any problems with 6s+, 7+ and my mom’s 8+.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Oh gotcha. Maybe wait for them to come out with their sim free model then .....
Oh we've had a SIM-free one forever. The issue is the model. All of our models are Intel modems and I am so far convinced they have problems, hopefully only firmware.

This is the reason I want to change from the TMO version that I have now. I do think I am having connectivity issues in my home with this X. Reception is typically poor in my home but I’ve never had any problems with 6s+, 7+ and my mom’s 8+.
What kind of problems are you seeing? I am working with Apple already for a week to try to get to the bottom of this and their engineering department is now engaged. I am convinced that connectivity is a widespread problem with the X, but not necessarily one that people will easily notice. I have a close friend as well that checked the China forums for me and even over there people are noticing problems (calls never connect from sender end, dropped LTE, etc.). Anyway, I posted a thread here about this so maybe you can respond there so we're not taking this thread off-topic.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Not so brilliant! Just OCD.

But really, I’ll be OK with a scratch or so AFTER a couple of months. My Series 0 SS AW has scratches that I haven’t even bothered to buff out. Also, I fussed over my navy blue mica car for first few months, you know, parking way at the end of the lot. Now, I’m squeezing into the closest spot, because inevitably, it’s got scratches.

Haha I understand.
I do get bothered by the scratches for a few days and then I stopped thinking too much about it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I only lasted one day on the space gray. I did not like how greasy the bottom looked. It was driving me buts. I returned it and went back to my silver. My silver return date was today and just thought in the end I was happy we with it. The little scratches I get are buffable.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I only lasted one day on the space gray. I did not like how greasy the bottom looked. It was driving me buts. I returned it and went back to my silver. My silver return date was today and just thought in the end I was happy we with it. The little scratches I get are buffable.

You prefer the polished edge? Don’t think I even considered space gray so didn’t even look to see what it looked like 🤣

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen