Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
This is for the stainless steel Apple Watch. The same process for the silver iPhone 10. Just remember not do this on SG iPhone 10.

https://www.imore.com/how-clean-your-stainless-steel-apple-watch?amp
I just read the article. Thanks fir taking the time to give me the link! The only thing is on the pic of his watch both sides have scratches. There is the shiney side with scratches and the dull side with scratches. Doesn't appear it is possible to actually remove them.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I just read the article. Thanks fir taking the time to give me the link! The only thing is on the pic of his watch both sides have scratches. There is the shiney side with scratches and the dull side with scratches. Doesn't appear it is possible to actually remove them.

It all depends on how deep the scratch is. My point is, you have at least a chance or option to remove the scratch compared to SG.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Hard to believe the phones would be scratching on edges from the Apple cases, those photos of the bottom scratched look like from trying to get the cable into the lightening port.
I have a SG with Apple silicone and not a scratch anywhere.

Where you can come unstuck with the open cases is if you drop it and it lands on something on the bottom, happened with a JB plus to me out of a car holder onto the steel seat rail, and put a dint near one speaker.
The glass could crack/shatter.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's probably similar to the stainless Apple watches... over time they develop micro scratches... not much to do about it.

I just picked up a space gray X and an Apple leather case. I have 7 Plus in jet black that I've had about 8 or 9 months, been in an Apple leather case the whole time and no scratches. Since jet black was supposed to be a scratch, I'm confident i won't have any issues with my space gray X.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Ughg...that's a very good point too. I am hoping that it is more like the Apple Watch, black stainless.

The iPhone X does not have the same coating as the black stainless Apple Watch. The Apple Watch has a DLC coating (diamond like carbon). The iPhone X uses a PVD finish (physical vapor deposition). You can Google PVD vs DLC for more info. I am interested to see how the PVD on the iPhone X holds up. I have the Silver IPhone X and almost returned it for the space grey, because mine already has a few micro scratches. But like others have said, I can polish the scratches out of the silver stainless.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone X does not have the same coating as the black stainless Apple Watch. The Apple Watch has a DLC coating (diamond like carbon). The iPhone X uses a PVD finish (physical vapor deposition). You can Google PVD vs DLC for more info. I am interested to see how the PVD on the iPhone X holds up. I have the Silver IPhone X and almost returned it for the space grey, because mine already has a few micro scratches. But like others have said, I can polish the scratches out of the silver stainless.

Apparently it does not hold up very well. I know that the store display devices get handled kind of rough, but after one week from release, most space gray devices in my local Apple store literally have flakes of the coating missing. It looks terrible, way worse than scratches on the silver. I actually think now that the space gray is a much worse finish. The DLC coating on the watch is excellent. Clearly, PVD on the SG iPhone X not so much. The flakes that came off are much like what was shown in this thread. Really bad.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I saw my first spider web mark on my silver and it polished out flawlessly in about 30 seconds.

What did you use if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to be prepared to do this as well since I will for sure have to deal with this while I own the phone. If you don't mind posting the product and procedure you follow it would be great. I think everyone would benefit from this.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
What did you use if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to be prepared to do this as well since I will for sure have to deal with this while I own the phone. If you don't mind posting the product and procedure you follow it would be great. I think everyone would benefit from this.

I cleaned it with vinegar and a sponge. I let it dry then used the same sponge and arm and hammer toothpaste. I went the direction of the tiny scratch. There are other products to polish stainless but it was so fine that I knew toothpaste would work. We use to use it in the army to polish metal.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I cleaned it with vinegar and a sponge. I let it dry then used the same sponge and arm and hammer toothpaste. I went the direction of the tiny scratch. There are other products to polish stainless but it was so fine that I knew toothpaste would work. We use to use it in the army to polish metal.

Does that really provide the same factory polished finish? I heard of people using toothpaste/baking soda for polishing but I was under the impression that this will just remove scratches, not get it back to the mirror like polished finish.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Does that really provide the same factory polished finish? I heard of people using toothpaste/baking soda for polishing but I was under the impression that this will just remove scratches, not get it back to the mirror like polished finish.

I can't tell a difference. If they are deep scratches you would need a buffing cloth and more elbow grease. I use ti use a dremel and soft cloth attachment.

sfarey1

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
I’ve had my silver iPhone X since launch day in a fully encased TPU Case. I clean my phone fairly frequently and still have tiny scratches that can only be seen in DIRECT light. I just used microfiber to clean off my finger prints and put the case back on. Who’s going to be looking that closely anyway? No one can tell you have a near invisible scratch. I realize some people pay outright for their devices, but still. I generally trade mine after a year anyhow. It literally came from
The factory with tiny scratches. It’s a negligible issue. The device itself functions beautifully so.....

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
I’ve had my SG since release and I see absolutely no scratching, flaking, or any marks on it. I swap out cases almost daily.

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I’ve been using my Apple cases and I’ve been worrying about the open bottom and exposure of the Silver SS. So I just put a Naked Wrap from SlikWraps on my phone. Makes the Apple Saddle leather case a tad snug, but it is fine. Now I’m much less worried about scratches.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been using my Apple cases and I’ve been worrying about the open bottom and exposure of the Silver SS. So I just put a Naked Wrap from SlikWraps on my phone. Makes the Apple Saddle leather case a tad snug, but it is fine. Now I’m much less worried about scratches.

That’s brilliant.
I personally wouldn’t worry too much about scratches, it adds some character to it

anon(10234384)

May 9, 2017
Visit site
it also happens to me actually. I put a case on my silver on the very first moment. After seven days and it's scratched the silver band. I am believing it will get out.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner