Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
My space grey Apple Watch has scratches and it can't be buffed out. I took my sons old iPod Touch and with some polish and Terry cloths made it look brand new. Its a trade off. The gray won't scratch as fast or as much but you aren't able to buff the scratches out.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
But why would they have bothered moving from 6 to 7 series aluminum for the 6s, and why would they invest 200 million in Corning to achieve stronger glass?

I don't know what you mean with this aluminum thing, all I can say is that my 7 and 7+ were so slippery that without a dbrand skin, they had a tendency to slip out of my hands, even when I just sat on my couch without moving.
At least the diamond black 7 was so prone to scratch that it was almost impossible to not scratch it in just the first few minutes of (regular) use.
Afaik the 'hardest gorilla glass ever' was used to prevent scratches on the surfaces or backs of the 8 or X, but didn't prevent the X from getting awarded the 'most fragile iPhone ever' (sorry I can't find that article right now), as it didn't survive most drop tests (Youtube, review blogs etc.), and the glass broke quite easily (compared to other materials). Scratch resistance apparently does not mean break resistance. Even though the X's surface and back might be scratch resistant, its stainless steel sides don't seem to be (as reported here by several users-and I think this is what this thread is all about?).

Finally, now that my X has arrived, I have to admit that it seems to be less slippery than the 7. It feels like oil & moisture stick better on glass than on aluminum. So less slippery, but in exchange less scratch resistant sides, and potentially breaking more easily.

However. It's a beauty. Maybe that's the price one has to pay.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
But why would they have bothered moving from 6 to 7 series aluminum for the 6s, and why would they invest 200 million in Corning to achieve stronger glass?

P.S. wasn't the aluminum change that you referred to (I think?) on the 6S and 7 to address the bendgate issues that the 6 suffered from? If so, then this was needed to correct an obvious product problem.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
An observation I made last night, because I could not stop thinking about those terrible photos of scratches on the silver earlier in the thread. Is your wife "searching" for the Lightning connector when plugging in a charging cable? The damage sure looks like metal impacting metal, and when I was plugging in my iPhone X last night I totally noticed how easy it would be to beat up the bottom of the device with the Lightning cable connector alone...

My Tissot watch uses polished stainless steel as well and the only time it really took some damage so far was when I accidentally knocked it on a corner of a tempered glass dining table.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
P.S. wasn't the aluminum change that you referred to (I think?) on the 6S and 7 to address the bendgate issues that the 6 suffered from? If so, then this was needed to correct an obvious product problem.

But it was more expensive for them to use the higher grade aluminum. If Apple weren't trying to make their phones more durable and only cared about planned obsolescence they could have stuck with the aluminum on the 6.

It was Squaretrade that gave the iPhone the most fragile phone ever. I'm not saying they did it to get more people to buy their insurance, but selling phone insurance is their business. Maybe Apple's investment in Corning wasn't as fruitful as they hoped, but if they didn't want more durable devices they could have just bought off the shelf Gorilla Glass instead of spending millions trying to make something better.

I just don't believe Apple or any company purposefully makes products less durable so people will have to upgrade more.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
6OZyTZv.jpgiphone-x-space-gray-scratches-1.jpg
But it was more expensive for them to use the higher grade aluminum. If Apple weren't trying to make their phones more durable and only cared about planned obsolescence they could have stuck with the aluminum on the 6.

It was Squaretrade that gave the iPhone the most fragile phone ever. I'm not saying they did it to get more people to buy their insurance, but selling phone insurance is their business. Maybe Apple's investment in Corning wasn't as fruitful as they hoped, but if they didn't want more durable devices they could have just bought off the shelf Gorilla Glass instead of spending millions trying to make something better.

I just don't believe Apple or any company purposefully makes products less durable so people will have to upgrade more.

A glass or plastic back iPhone with aluminum band around the side would have been extremely bendable. Plus they both will scratch and the coating can flake on the grey one.

Last edited:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
If you use wireless charging and ONLY connect the lightning port when servicing your phone through itunes, etc. all those scratches around the port won't be an issue. ;)

Not sure how the side got damaged like that though. Is that one of Jerry Rig's phones? :D

TechRelated

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I have the Space Grey but was thinking about taking it back for the Silver because I like the look of it. But I'm seeing mixed reviews! I know, generally, that if you take care of your iPhone, it should look good for a long time. I'm still, however, on the fence because micro scratches will drive me crazy especially if I'm taking care of it and it still ends up gathering visible micro scratches.

So...????

TechRelated

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Neither do I. Conversely, I think this practice would crush their reputation, and create insecurities and distrust with their customers.

TechRelated

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
It looks like this Space Grey iPhone X was destroyed on purpose. I've NEVER seen any iPhone that badly damaged/scratched less than a month after launch unless it was used in a YouTube video and slid across concrete to test durability! In my KeyShawn Johnson voice (C'MON MAN LOL!)

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Woah, woah. Okay, let’s just get this out of the way. Planned obsolescence is a real thing used in real businesses every single day. Go talk to any serious ops people in a large manufacturer that is willing to openly discuss business practices and you will get confirmation 100% of the time. If nothing else, MTBF is known for all components and even if there is no concerted effort to make a product obsolete to force an upgrade/replacement, it is still known when the majority of products will statistically fail and therefore when to target the consumer, whether it be a B2B or B2C, to get them to replace something. With that said, products are absolutely designed to fail more frequently to force replacements but it is a fine balancing act. One thing is certain though and that is that basically nobody is building product these days to “last for decades”. It’s bad for the bottom line, garbage be damned.

My source is 15 years of working with senior execs at different companies. I’m not pulling this stuff out of my rear end.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Seriously?
This is an entire branch in today’s business world. I recommend a private conversation with an insider, if you have access.
In Apples case, where looks and style are a huge factor, it's even more than durability. Making products that look used & worn after just a few days of use cannot have any other purpose than hurting the 2nd hand market.

P.S. my brand new X, which I’ve been carrying in my pants pocket for 2 days only, without any keys etc being even close to it, show (tiny) scratches on the silver frame already. I tried to polish them out with micro fiber, and the scratches became worse.

Nobody on earth can tell me that it is not possible to produce such a product in a way that makes it just a little more resilient.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Seriously?
This is an entire branch in today’s business world. I recommend a private conversation with an insider, if you have access.
In Apples case, where looks and style are a huge factor, it's even more than durability. Making products that look used & worn after just a few days of use cannot have any other purpose than hurting the 2nd hand market.

P.S. my brand new X, which I’ve been carrying in my pants pocket for 2 days only, without any keys etc being even close to it, show (tiny) scratches on the silver frame already. I tried to polish them out with micro fiber, and the scratches became worse.

Nobody on earth can tell me that it is not possible to produce such a product in a way that makes it just a little more resilient.

Mine is showing scuffing around the silver frame from just switching around using different Apple cases.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
No scratches on all 3 of the SG X’s that I have in possession.
All of em are protected by the Apple leather case.
I can only speak to Silver colour. I’ve opened several Silver iPhone Xs and every single one of them had at least one blemish somewhere on the silver frame right out of the box. Mine developed at least 2-3 more blemishes just from changing cases from Apple silicone case to Spigen and back again. Sure, they are tiny, and impossible to see unless you angle the device just the right way under certain light, but they are there. Definitely the stainless steel seems to be softer than my Tissot watch. Also, I am that OCD that I will intentionally look for these marks/scuffs/scratches even if they can’t really be seen under normal use.

Combine this with the fact that I also seem to have a defective LTE modem in my device and there is a strong chance I may just return my iPhone X before my 14-day grace period is up. I already ordered an SG iPhone X that is due to be delivered 1st or second week of December.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I can only speak to Silver colour. I’ve opened several Silver iPhone Xs and every single one of them had at least one blemish somewhere on the silver frame right out of the box. Mine developed at least 2-3 more blemishes just from changing cases from Apple silicone case to Spigen and back again. Sure, they are tiny, and impossible to see unless you angle the device just the right way under certain light, but they are there. Definitely the stainless steel seems to be softer than my Tissot watch. Also, I am that OCD that I will intentionally look for these marks/scuffs/scratches even if they can’t really be seen under normal use.

Combine this with the fact that I also seem to have a defective LTE modem in my device and there is a strong chance I may just return my iPhone X before my 14-day grace period is up. I already ordered an SG iPhone X that is due to be delivered 1st or second week of December.

Ok, just keep in mind that if you have the space gray color and you happen to have scratches on the side frame, you can’t repair it with any polishing material. If you try to polish it, the black color will fade away and will even look more uglier. For the silver gray, this won’t happen. I’m just saying that you can repair scratches on the frame easily on the silver phone but not on the SG.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok, just keep in mind that if you have the space gray color and you happen to have scratches on the side frame, you can’t repair it with any polishing material. If you try to polish it, the black color will fade away and will even look more uglier. For the silver gray, this won’t happen. I’m just saying that you can repair scratches on the frame easily on the silver phone but not on the SG.

Ughg...that's a very good point too. I am hoping that it is more like the Apple Watch, black stainless.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
use cape cod wipes, not microfiber, to polish out micro scratches.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
How easily remove scratches?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner