Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am ordering another X for my nephew for Christmas and it looks like it will be the space grey version like I already have. I thought about the sliver one, but after seeing the pictures. Now I am having second thoughts.

jdubb82

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess this is going to depend on how it’s used and cases as I’ve heard some cases are scratching the back. I have not had a case since day one and tend to go back and forth between using my cases and not. I initially used a clear Spigen case and currently an Apple Silicon one and just inspected my phone. No scratches on the glass or chrome band. I thought I saw scratches on the bottom but after wiping it was just fingerprints.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is going to depend on how it’s used and cases as I’ve heard some cases are scratching the back. I have not had a case since day one and tend to go back and forth between using my cases and not. I initially used a clear Spigen case and currently an Apple Silicon one and just inspected my phone. No scratches on the glass or chrome band. I thought I saw scratches on the bottom but after wiping it was just fingerprints.

Exactly my experience.

It certainly wouldn’t keep me from buying the silver.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I am using silicone made by Apple with open bottom and don’t have any scratches so far on my silver iPhone 10 since launch day.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I haven’t investigated my phone enough between daily case swaps to look. Would I go with space gray over the silver in either case? Nope. Love the silver. Reminiscent of my iPhone 4/4S days. Loved that lovely white color.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Well, this is how Apple tries to kill the second hand market. Softish materials that show wear after less than a week of use, slippery surfaces that make the phone drop very easily. I think there are many materials available that a) look great and b) are way less prone to scratch and less slippery. So it would be possible to create ergonomic & sexy phones that stay in good shape for quite some time, if they just wanted. But that would mean many more good looking & mint condition devices on eBay.....

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, this is how Apple tries to kill the second hand market. Softish materials that show wear after less than a week of use, slippery surfaces that make the phone drop very easily. I think there are many materials available that a) look great and b) are way less prone to scratch and less slippery. So it would be possible to create ergonomic & sexy phones that stay in good shape for quite some time, if they just wanted. But that would mean many more good looking & mint condition devices on eBay.....

The X is less slippery than the 6s I used before I got it. And my silver isn't scratched like the single incident above. I keep it in my pocket with no keys or anything. There will be micro scratches I'm sure, but if you take care of it, it shouldn't be scuffed up like that.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

TBH I think Ive and Cook have better things to worry about than second hand phone sales on eBay.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Ouch...this is something that I have been worried about since I got the silver color variant. My Black Stainless Steel Apple Watch looks flawless still because it has the black diamond coating on it. Now I am thinking that I may need to get the Space Gray variant of the phone instead. Those scratches are crazy visible.

Edit: And I ordered the Space Grey now...let's hope it arrives soon.

Last edited:

TechRelated

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Honestly. To me it looks like the phone hasn't been taken care of! I could be totally wrong, but I have the exact same Apple OEM Saddle Brown leather case with ZERO scratches. I have like you bakron1 taken my case off several times within the past 10 days have wiped it off with my microfiber cloth. I've also made sure to actually wipe out the inside of my leather case. People don't realize it, but you actually have to take these steps/precautions to preserve the look of your iPhone. You can't just keep throwing your iPhone X in and out of purses, pockets, messenger bags, backpacks, or whatever and expect to not obtain micro scratches or WORSE!! That's common sense, not warranty issue in my opinion.

MY 2 CENTS

bchain996

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Honestly. To me it looks like the phone hasn't been taken care of! I could be totally wrong, but I have the exact same Apple OEM Saddle Brown leather case with ZERO scratches. I have like you bakron1 taken my case off several times within the past 10 days have wiped it off with my microfiber cloth. I've also made sure to actually wipe out the inside of my leather case. People don't realize it, but you actually have to take these steps/precautions to preserve the look of your iPhone. You can't just keep throwing your iPhone X in and out of purses, pockets, messenger bags, backpacks, or whatever and expect to not obtain micro scratches or WORSE!! That's common sense, not warranty issue in my opinion.

MY 2 CENTS

My thoughts exactly. I take mine every morning and wipe it with a nice microfiber that I wash frequently and only use for my phone. I use it naked as well as with Apple silicone and I still have zero scratches. I also had 7+ jet black no issues. Also had 8+ for a month and zero scratches with no case...

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
TBH I think Ive and Cook have better things to worry about than second hand phone sales on eBay.

I disagree. Avoiding mint condition items to show up in masses on eBay is a significant driver of new product sales. Not only for Apple though. But constantly making products that scratch easily or that are extremely slippery while they should be more durable and more ergonomic does not have lots of other reasons imho.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I disagree. Avoiding mint condition items to show up in masses on eBay is a significant driver of new product sales. Not only for Apple though. But constantly making products that scratch easily or that are extremely slippery while they should be more durable and more ergonomic does not have lots of other reasons imho.

P.S. I'm not anti-Apple. I've been using a 6s, a 7+ and am now waiting for the X. I just wish I could use them and enjoy their beauty without fat cases or skins.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
P.S. I'm not anti-Apple. I've been using a 6s, a 7+ and am now waiting for the X. I just wish I could use them and enjoy their beauty without fat cases or skins.

You can. You just don’t.

I don’t use cases on my iPhones. I always buy them and never use them. My husband inherits my old phones. I have dropped every single one without a case on, including this X (onto tile in a salon, not even a scratch). I have never broken a screen. Not since my 4 (and that one didn’t even break when I dropped it from the third rung on a ladder onto the concrete stockroom floor, no break front or back, small mark on the metal edge).

The only time any of my iPhones ever broke was my 6S Plus - my husband dropped it in the driveway (it slid off the seat of his motorcycle while he washed it). Cracked the screen.

It was in a case. Pretty heavy one in fact. Speck presidio. The week after that I threw my jet black 7 Plus 4 feet across the room and it landed screen down and slid on the hardwood for about 3 feet. No case, no ugly screen protector. One tiny scratch. That’s it.

So there is no requirement to use a case if you don’t want to. I have AppleCare and *if* it breaks while I’m caseless, it’s covered. I’m not wasting valuable time worrying about it though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

But why would they have bothered moving from 6 to 7 series aluminum for the 6s, and why would they invest 200 million in Corning to achieve stronger glass?

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You can. You just don’t.

I don’t use cases on my iPhones. I always buy them and never use them. My husband inherits my old phones. I have dropped every single one without a case on, including this X (onto tile in a salon, not even a scratch). I have never broken a screen. Not since my 4 (and that one didn’t even break when I dropped it from the third rung on a ladder onto the concrete stockroom floor, no break front or back, small mark on the metal edge).

The only time any of my iPhones ever broke was my 6S Plus - my husband dropped it in the driveway (it slid off the seat of his motorcycle while he washed it). Cracked the screen.

It was in a case. Pretty heavy one in fact. Speck presidio. The week after that I threw my jet black 7 Plus 4 feet across the room and it landed screen down and slid on the hardwood for about 3 feet. No case, no ugly screen protector. One tiny scratch. That’s it.

So there is no requirement to use a case if you don’t want to. I have AppleCare and *if* it breaks while I’m caseless, it’s covered. I’m not wasting valuable time worrying about it though.

I wish I could be like you. I’m not being sarcastic either. I worry about scratching my phones and watches so much that it’s driving me crazy. Hopefully one day I can overcome my fears and not worry so much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox