Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I’ve had stainless space black watch for about 8 months. Looks mint. My wife’s SS shows a ton of scratches. Me personally, I’d go space black. It will look better for much longer. Now I have the silver X. Shows a few light scratches. But I went with silver because I was able to get that shipped for launch day to where I could not with space gray with T-Mobile. I didn’t want to wait so I’ll deal with it.

I was very lucky to get my space grey model from T Mobile on preorder day. I had ordered the silver model and they sent me a space grey instead which I actually like more now that I have it.

Looks like I will go with the stainless black iWatch and hopefully I won’t have any issues. Thanks for the information. That’s why I love this site.

I spend most of my time between here and the CrackBerry forums where I am a ambassador. I also have a KeyOne I use. I am really liking the X and has become my daily driver since I got it on launch day.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was very lucky to get my space grey model from T Mobile on preorder day. I had ordered the silver model and they sent me a space grey instead which I actually like more now that I have it.

Looks like I will go with the stainless black iWatch and hopefully I won’t have any issues. Thanks for the information. That’s why I love this site.

I spend most of my time between here and the CrackBerry forums where I am a ambassador. I also have a KeyOne I use. I am really liking the X and has become my daily driver since I got it on launch day.

I first ordered with Apple. Got my order in at 12:08 ams pst on the 27th. It was 2-3 week shipping. So at 11:30 am that same day, decided to check T-Mobile site. And only silver had a 11/3 to 11/10 ship date. So I placed that order too. Two days later, I had tracking from T-Mobile for a 11/3 arrival date so I cancelled my space gray order with Apple. I wanted it on launch day. Didn’t matter the color. But I would have preferred space gray if that was an option.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I first ordered with Apple. Got my order in at 12:08 ams pst on the 27th. It was 2-3 week shipping. So at 11:30 am that same day, decided to check T-Mobile site. And only silver had a 11/3 to 11/10 ship date. So I placed that order too. Two days later, I had tracking from T-Mobile for a 11/3 arrival date so I cancelled my space gray order with Apple. I wanted it on launch day. Didn’t matter the color. But I would have preferred space gray if that was an option.

I was just happy to get the X period. I had my device selected in my Apple store app and was up at 2:45 on preorder day and hit buy at 3:05 and I came back with 2-3 weeks delivery and I couldn’t believe it only 5 minutes in and I receive that delivery date.

So I went to the T Mobile website and was able to order one and got my email saying my order was confirmed and then received my tracking number and the space grey one showed up at my door on launch day and I was a happy man.

Going to order another space grey one for my nephew for Christmas tomorrow and hoping to get it in 2-3 weeks. Now it’s order and wait and see.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was just happy to get the X period. I had my device selected in my Apple store app and was up at 2:45 on preorder day and hit buy at 3:05 and I came back with 2-3 weeks delivery and I couldn’t believe it only 5 minutes in and I receive that delivery date.

So I went to the T Mobile website and was able to order one and got my email saying my order was confirmed and then received my tracking number and the space grey one showed up at my door on launch day and I was a happy man.

Going to order another space grey one for my nephew for Christmas tomorrow and hoping to get it in 2-3 weeks. Now it’s order and wait and see.

This is wife’s after 8 days with an Apple case and it being open on the bottom.
c704bdcc477a604176d69d24afd1d191.jpg

d8cb393b0cf5832d141d0790777a93d4.jpg

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow!! That’s not good and I feel that’s a warranty issue and should be replaced by Apple. Thanks for the heads up sir.

It’s not. It’s stainless steel for you. Her next one will do the same thing. So no more Apple cases for her since they are open. Her first gen and 2nd gen SS Apple Watch did the same thing.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Er...wow. I don’t even know how that’s possible. I’ve been caseless or with an Apple case since launch day and my silver isn’t even close to looking like that. Where the heck does she carry it?!?! I throw mine in my pocket, jacket pocket, purse...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Er...wow. I don’t even know how that’s possible. I’ve been caseless or with an Apple case since launch day and my silver isn’t even close to looking like that. Where the heck does she carry it?!?! I throw mine in my pocket, jacket pocket, purse...

Either she carrier or in her purse. She says she doesn’t put it next to keys or anything. So I am not even sure.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Whoa that’s crazy. Mine is still perfect and I’m using the Apple leather case with the open bottom.

Silver? Im using an Apple case and I have a few light scratches after 10 days. But I can tell over time they will pile up.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

My heart broke a little 🤭. Is she worried about those scratches? If so, a friend recommended I look into slickwraps (or other sticker companies) for added protection. Obviously they won’t protect on drops alone, but may help with those buggy micro scratches. They have some neat designs, but I wonder how they would fit with some cases (like Apple silicone & leather, etc). Anyone have any input?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've polished my SS watch and it still has micro scratches after a bit but you don't notice them unless you're looking for them. The bottom of the phone is a bit harder to polish because of the speakers but can be done along the edges if you're careful. Mine is still clean, thankfully (using Apple silicone). Goes in my pocket all by itself.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My heart broke a little ??????. Is she worried about those scratches? If so, a friend recommended I look into slickwraps (or other sticker companies) for added protection. Obviously they won’t protect on drops alone, but may help with those buggy micro scratches. They have some neat designs, but I wonder how they would fit with some cases (like Apple silicone & leather, etc). Anyone have any input?

It really just depends on the case. Some cases are too snug fitting for a skin to fit underneath. Slickwraps does sell a case that you can use with their skins. I'm pretty sure it's a Spigen, but can't remember. I've used their skins in the past, and the clear ones are pretty good if you only want scratch protection and extra grip. I never bothered trying to put a case on top of it though, because the reason I got the skin was that I didn't want to use a case.

Not really sure it would be worth the extra expense, but you could probably just cut the bottom (thin piece that covers the stainless band) off of a clear skin, apply it, and then put a case with an open bottom on it for extra scratch protection.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I still wonder how she’s actually carrying it because I’ve thrown it in pockets with keys etc and have no marks even close to that, Apple case AND naked.

The only mark I have is a scratch on the back glass itself caused by debris caught in the ringke fusion case. My silver is pristine. Heck it even slid off a chair onto tile at the hair salon Saturday, no case, hit in the silver bezel, no marks.

Is she SURE she’s putting it somewhere without anything in it? Is her purse or pockets lined with sandpaper? Lol

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Whoa that’s crazy. Mine is still perfect and I’m using the Apple leather case with the open bottom.

This.

I think there are many factors involved in the scratching of the phone. I’m not saying the silver doesn’t scratch easier, I’m just saying the only way to be sure is have the same person carry each color under the same conditions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods