Does the silver scratch easier than the space gray?

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Just something I was wondering as it seems like a lot of people with the silver are complaining about scratches on the shiny edges.

What ya think? :rolleyes:

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I put a case on my silver on day one. A week later and it’s scratched the silver band. So it does look like the silver scratches easily. I’m hoping it will polish out.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’ve had my silver iPhone X for 8 days, and there’s not a scratch on it.

I'm so bummed. The back of mine is kinda scratched up now. I had to take my X back to TMo b/c they screwed up putting my screen protector on. When the rep did the redo she laid it on a mouse pad. I didn't think much about it. Put my case back on about 30 minutes later. Then a couple days later I took my case back off and there's all these small scratches on the back glass. I wouldn't care if I had been going caseless and was my doing. But I'm pretty sure it's from her rubbing the microfiber and using the rubber bubble remover back and forth with decent pressure. My phone was sliding back and forth on the mouse pad, but again I didn't think about it at the time.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm so bummed. The back of mine is kinda scratched up now. I had to take my X back to TMo b/c they screwed up putting my screen protector on. When the rep did the redo she laid it on a mouse pad. I didn't think much about it. Put my case back on about 30 minutes later. Then a couple days later I took my case back off and there's all these small scratches on the back glass. I wouldn't care if I had been going caseless and was my doing. But I'm pretty sure it's from her rubbing the microfiber and using the rubber bubble remover back and forth with decent pressure. My phone was sliding back and forth on the mouse pad, but again I didn't think about it at the time.

That just plain sucks.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Ugh. That’s a total downer. The glass is beautiful and all, but I’d much rather have something more durable that won’t scratch up so easily.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just something I was wondering as it seems like a lot of people with the silver are complaining about scratches on the shiny edges.

What ya think? :rolleyes:

Yes it does. My wife’s is scratched all up on the bottom since it open due to Apple leather case good think she has a replacement phone coming. No more Apple case for her.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have always put a Apple OEM leather case on every iPhone since the 4 series and never had an issue with damaging the device.

But I take very good care of my phones and most look as good as the day I bought it even after I have used it for a year. Just the way I am.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Stainless steel gets micro scratches on it fairly easily. The space gray does it too, it just isn’t as easy to see because it’s darker.

It’s no different with the Apple Watch. I’ve had every version of the stainless steel watch and it always gets scratched up and I baby them.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have always put a Apple OEM leather case on every iPhone since the 4 series and never had an issue with damaging the device.

But I take very good care of my phones and most look as good as the day I bought it even after I have used it for a year. Just the way I am.

Same here. I️ have an Apple leather case on my X now. I’m afraid to take it off and look. It would make me sad and mad if it was scratched up. Have never had an issue with the Apple cases in the past.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Same here. I️ have an Apple leather case on my X now. I’m afraid to take it off and look. It would make me sad and mad if it was scratched up. Have never had an issue with the Apple cases in the past.

I have the slate grey model and have taken the Apple leather case off a coupe of times and no scratches. Nothing to worry about.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the slate grey model and have taken the Apple leather case off a coupe of times and no scratches. Nothing to worry about.

The space gray will hide scratches much more than silver. If you have silver, it’s something to worry about. When my wife gets home, I’ll post pictures of her phone.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The space gray will hide scratches much more than silver. If you have silver, it’s something to worry about. When my wife gets home, I’ll post pictures of her phone.

Interesting advice sir, thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if this is an issue with all the silver models or a selected few? Maybe a bad production batch?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Interesting advice sir, thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if this is an issue with all the silver models or a selected few? Maybe a bad production batch?

No. It’s just stainless steel. Scratches super easy. Just like silver SS Apple Watch. Scratches real easy while my space black shows none.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
No. It’s just stainless steel. Scratches super easy. Just like silver SS Apple Watch. Scratches real easy while my space black shows none.

Thanks for the tip, I am looking at buying a stainless series 2 or 3 42mm iWatch. Should I go with the regular and black stainless model?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I am looking at buying a stainless series 2 or 3 42mm iWatch. Should I go with the regular and black stainless model?

I’ve had stainless space black watch for about 8 months. Looks mint. My wife’s SS shows a ton of scratches. Me personally, I’d go space black. It will look better for much longer. Now I have the silver X. Shows a few light scratches. But I went with silver because I was able to get that shipped for launch day to where I could not with space gray with T-Mobile. I didn’t want to wait so I’ll deal with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox