Looks like the stainless steel looks much nicer than the space gray all scratched up!

I have 2  cases with the open bottom that I’m returning today because of what the Scratches on the stainless edge! Not taking a chance with scratches.

So far I can’t see any scratches on mine..
    11-24-2017 01:57 PM
    It will happen with time. The same way it happens on everything stainless steel. I would definelty use wireless charging with the grey.
    I agree it will. The life of this phone for me is a maximum of one year and if properly taken care of and not dropped, it should be unlikely to occur. I still have a Space Gray X coming next week and will see whether I will keep it or the Silver. I very much like the Silver color, but there is some utilitarian charm to the Space Gray.
    11-24-2017 03:18 PM
    I agree it will. The life of this phone for me is a maximum of one year and if properly taken care of and not dropped, it should be unlikely to occur. I still have a Space Gray X coming next week and will see whether I will keep it or the Silver. I very much like the Silver color, but there is some utilitarian charm to the Space Gray.
    I like the grey better but hate marks.
    11-24-2017 04:05 PM
    I like the grey better but hate marks.
    Kind of the same here.
    11-24-2017 07:03 PM
    Attachment 120620Attachment 120621

Silver is the better bet of you want to see minimal scratches or want to polish it. If I had grey I would be using wireless charging. having a painted coating on stainless steel just isn't going to end well.
    Ouch.
    Thank you for sharing those pictures.
    11-24-2017 09:27 PM
    Ouch.
    Thank you for sharing those pictures.
    I don't like the way the bolts stay black, It amplifies the damage and makes that $1000 smartphone look ratty.
    11-25-2017 05:39 AM
    I don't like the way the bolts stay black, It amplifies the damage and makes that $1000 smartphone look ratty.
    It sure does.
    I’ll be careful with my SG.
    11-25-2017 05:47 AM
    This is the same thing I was seeing in my local Apple Store. I will say that this is unlikely to happen at home unless you're a brute. Most people aren't going to bang their device with the connector over and over again to strip the coating but if you drop it...well, that's a whole another story.
    Agreed. Glad I have a bunch of wireless chargers around from my Android phones and I use Bluetooth headphones. I’ll never be plugging anything into the lightning port so hopefully won’t ever get any marks on mine.
    11-25-2017 08:28 AM
    I haven’t investigated my phone enough between daily case swaps to look. Would I go with space gray over the silver in either case? Nope. Love the silver. Reminiscent of my iPhone 4/4S days. Loved that lovely white color.
    This, exactly.

I try to take care of my devices, but I’ll buy the color I want - silver in this case - without regard on how it may sell later, etc. I’m the one who has to use it for a year or more and so I want to enjoy it during that time. If you trade in to Apple on the iPhone upgrade program or to your carrier on one of their plans the scratches don’t matter anyways. Plus, the SS band on the silver is very reminiscent of the first iPhone.
    11-25-2017 08:51 AM
    This, exactly.

I try to take care of my devices, but I’ll buy the color I want - silver in this case - without regard on how it may sell later, etc. I’m the one who has to use it for a year or more and so I want to enjoy it during that time. If you trade in to Apple on the iPhone upgrade program or to your carrier on one of their plans the scratches don’t matter anyways. Plus, the SS band on the silver is very reminiscent of the first iPhone.
    No doubt the silver is the nicer of the two colours.
    11-25-2017 10:53 AM
    No doubt the silver is the nicer of the two colours.
    I think it is the nicer of the two, but I’m biased because that’s what I purchased. My wife has the space gray version, which I think is boring but to each their own.
    11-25-2017 07:06 PM
    Wouldn't that grease just wipe right off?
    11-25-2017 09:38 PM
    Wouldn't that grease just wipe right off?
    Yep, a wipe will remove it easily.
    11-25-2017 09:39 PM
    I wish I could be like you. I’m not being sarcastic either. I worry about scratching my phones and watches so much that it’s driving me crazy. Hopefully one day I can overcome my fears and not worry so much.
    You aren’t alone. I use mine caseless while in the house but I refuse to leave the house without a case. These phones cost too much for me to be so carefree. Even if the drop doesn’t crack the screen, gashes in the casing would drive me nuts lol. For a $1000+ phone, I need to keep this thing as close to mint as possible lol.
    11-26-2017 02:25 AM
    I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..
    11-29-2017 02:51 PM
    Found faint scratches on my stainless steel now too. I change cases every few days, and that has got to be the culprit. I guess I will just wait until they accumulate to a certain point and then buff them out.
    11-29-2017 04:24 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...307c69a80.jpeg I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..
    That looks like damage from a hard case like the Otterbox Defender. Do you put it in any cases at all?

What kind of Micro Fiber is that with the white back?
    11-29-2017 04:40 PM
    I do not know what to do Much prefer the look of the stainless steel but micro scratches would annoy me terrible! Space grey feels the safer bet but iam just not a fan of how it looks
    11-29-2017 04:48 PM
    I'm not even going to worry about it I have mine in an otterbox and I am fully expecting the bezel to be scratched like it always is in these cases.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-29-2017 05:04 PM
    Surely there must be some sort of clear coating apple could have used to keep the stainless steel from scratching so easily whilst still retaining its premium look ? Kinda like on the space grey i guess but clear
    11-29-2017 07:05 PM
    Surely there must be some sort of clear coating apple could have used to keep the stainless steel from scratching so easily whilst still retaining its premium look ? Kinda like on the space grey i guess but clear
    Yes, but that would be the logical thing to do, and we all know how "common" common-sense really is...
    11-29-2017 07:06 PM
    That looks like damage from a hard case like the Otterbox Defender. Do you put it in any cases at all?

What kind of Micro Fiber is that with the white back?
    Only case I’ve used is peel case and apple silicone case. Microfiber is one I bought specifically for phones and I only use it for phones while washing it with every load of laundry lol. My mind is blown how this happened. Just gonna buy another and give this one to my mom she doesn’t care about scratches
    11-29-2017 09:58 PM
    There are all sorts of coatings you can use on steel to make it scratch resistant, which I'm assuming apple is already using. The problem is one little tiny speck of sand inside a phone case is going to have a much higher hardness than steel is. For example the steel you have in your phone is somewhere between a 6-8 on the mohs hardness scale. A little tiny speck of sand is a 7! You can scratch something with the same hardness or higher. The problem is they could harden the steel more to make it more scratch resistant but it would make it brittle. A good example of this would be tungsten carbide that they make rings out of. Anyone who's ever dropped a virtually scratch proof tungsten ring on a tile floor will tell you that while it might not ever scratch one hard surface drop will cause it to shatter. You have to let the steel be hard enough to not scratch as easy as plastic or deal with the consequences of having a brittle material. The scratches you see on the bezel can luckily be polished out no problem. You could always look up a good metal polisher who could mirror shine the bezel right up for you.
    dejanh likes this.
    11-29-2017 10:07 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...307c69a80.jpeg I stand corrected my phone has never been dropped and I baby it more then anyone I or anyone else knows and this morning I did my daily morning scrub down with a microfiber and there has to be at least 5 dings on my phone. I’m devastated and only thing I can imagine is it hit something while in my pocket..
    That’s totally fine.
    It shows that you’ve used the device as it’s meant to be.
    It adds a personal characteristic to your iPhone.
    11-29-2017 10:31 PM
    That’s totally fine.
    It shows that you’ve used the device as it’s meant to be.
    It adds a personal characteristic to your iPhone.
    I agree with this, but I understand how the little scratches would bother someone.

I use an Apple silicone case and I noticed that my silver X has the little micro scratches on the bezel where exposed. I took my case off to clean the phone, and sure enough, there are a few scratches already on the band where covered by the case, and I’ve only had the phone a few days. It doesn’t really bother me though, and this is what I expected based on how my SS Apple Watch looks after a year of use.

I do think resale value would be diminished on the silver X with scratches, but probably not as much as presently thought. Plus the superficial marks likely won’t matter if traded in on the iPhone upgrade program or similar carrier plan.
    11-29-2017 10:41 PM
201 ... 45678 ...