Took the plunge and got Apple Care

Sugrat

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
If you crack your screen with Verizon, how is it handled? Apple will replace the screen on-site, is Verizon set up to do that or do they have to send it out? While it doesn't cover loss or theft, I like that with Apple Care I can take it to a local store and be taken care of.

According to their website, screen’s are replaced the same day depending on your location by approved tech. To be honest I hope I don’t have to test that process!!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I didn't know that. Plus, I've asked many times to transfer my Apple Care from device A-to-B, and they never offered the pro-rated option. Well, at least I now know. Thanks...

Since when was AppleCare+ transferrable between two devices that aren't the same model? I always get a prorated refund because they aren't able to transfer AppleCare+ between devices. In fact, I make sure I ask if it can be transferred prior to requesting a refund just in case policies have changed. When I got my X I purchased AppleCare+ and requested they transfer the remaining balance from my 7 Plus to the X and they stated they couldnt.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Since when was AppleCare+ transferrable between two devices that aren't the same model? I always get a prorated refund because they aren't able to transfer AppleCare+ between devices. In fact, I make sure I ask if it can be transferred prior to requesting a refund just in case policies have changed. When I got my X I purchased AppleCare+ and requested they transfer the remaining balance from my 7 Plus to the X and they stated they couldnt.

If it’s within 30 days of each purchase. But you cannot transfer it after you’ve had it a year, they will give you the prorated refund, which is what I did yesterday.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You have 60 days to purchase AppleCare+ for a device, to transfer the AppleCare+ it’s 30 days.

“Transfer your AppleCare plan
If you sell or give away your Apple device, you can also transfer the ownership of your AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ in regions that allow it. You can also transfer your AppleCare coverage plan between your own devices that are the same type of product and within 30 days of your original device purchase.”

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You have 60 days to purchase AppleCare+ for a device, to transfer the AppleCare+ it’s 30 days.

“Transfer your AppleCare plan
If you sell or give away your Apple device, you can also transfer the ownership of your AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ in regions that allow it. You can also transfer your AppleCare coverage plan between your own devices that are the same type of product and within 30 days of your original device purchase.”

Good to know. Didn’t know they gave you less time to transfer.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I still haven't decided about AppleCare. I recognize the risks, but I've never had AppleCare and in almost 10 years of owning an iPhone, I've never needed it. I'd say not buying it has worked out pretty well.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I still haven't decided about AppleCare. I recognize the risks, but I've never had AppleCare and in almost 10 years of owning an iPhone, I've never needed it. I'd say not buying it has worked out pretty well.

I will just say that if you break the X, the replacement cost is going to erase a substantial chunk of those saved years, or rather all of them...this phone is so fragile and so expensive that I did not even think twice about getting AppleCare+ for it, despite it costing me a cool $265 CAD after taxes. I will say though that if I sell this phone, I am going to get my prorated refund. No more selling the phone with AC+, not at this price.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I've always gotten AppleCare for my Macs, but the X is only the second iPhone I bought it for. I think I had it on my 4. The main reason I got it for the X is because repair prices are so high.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I spoke with Apple yesterday, and they cancelled the Apple Care on my old iPhone 7 Plus. The refund was placed on my card. I now need to buy Apple Care for my iPhone 8 Plus; I already have it on my iPhone X...

Wait. Hold up. Why do you need an 8 plus and X?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I had Assurion on a Note 5 with VZW a couple of years ago. USB port crapped out, had to get new phone. $150 deductible out of pocket and I was paying $11/month for the coverage ($131 per year). Now that I have dumped VZW (yay!) and learned to buy my phones from Apple (yay!) AC is $99 for my 7+ and, if I should break a screen before my X gets in, will only fork over $99 for a replacement cost rather than VZW wallet rape. No brainer in my book. Especially since the repair costs on the X are serious wallet rape (new screen = $549USD I believe?) then the outrageous $199 AC+ becomes mandatory IMHO. I'll certainly be getting it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I had Assurion on a Note 5 with VZW a couple of years ago. USB port crapped out, had to get new phone. $150 deductible out of pocket and I was paying $11/month for the coverage ($131 per year). Now that I have dumped VZW (yay!) and learned to buy my phones from Apple (yay!) AC is $99 for my 7+ and, if I should break a screen before my X gets in, will only fork over $99 for a replacement cost rather than VZW wallet rape. No brainer in my book. Especially since the repair costs on the X are serious wallet rape (new screen = $549USD I believe?) then the outrageous $199 AC+ becomes mandatory IMHO. I'll certainly be getting it.

Screen is $279. "Other" damage is the $549 without AppleCare. Still worth it on this phone to get AppleCare though.

Sugrat

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand from reading the policy, the $199 only comes in to play now if a) you lose the phone b) completely damage it (crush it or something) or c) defect after one year warranty has expired.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand from reading the policy, the $199 only comes in to play now if a) you lose the phone b) completely damage it (crush it or something) or c) defect after one year warranty has expired.

Not exactly. It doesn’t cover loss. If it’s just the screen, you can pay the $29 deductible. If you want the entire device replaced, you can pay the higher deductible. When I shattered my screen a few years ago, they wanted to just replace screen. It scuffed up the bezel a little so I told them I wanted the entire device replaced. And paid the replacement deductible instead and got a entire brand new phone.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Always remember that you can buy a device that has Apple Care from someone and that person can easily turn around and remove it to get their pro-rated refund. There’s not really any “transfer” with Apple.

I transferred mine to the new owners by emailing their name and mailing information to Apple. Apple then changed the AppleCare to their name. FYI.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Hold up. Why do you need an 8 plus and X?

There are quite a few people around here with both. My pockets aren't deep enough to justify having both of those devices, lol. Even if they were, I would really struggle with why I need both? One would certainly be collecting dust. Which would make it a very expensive paperweight lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I bought AppleCare+ and I also subscribe to the replacement plan through Verizon. The cost of this phone has me paranoid. I want to be prepared for anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR