Face ID slowed down?

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine since 11/9 and it has never had a smooth unlock. every time it pauses and delays. I even have the attention thing turned off. starting to not like face id and thinking about switching to the 8 Plus.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since 11/9 and it has never had a smooth unlock. every time it pauses and delays. I even have the attention thing turned off. starting to not like face id and thinking about switching to the 8 Plus.

Re-register the feature to see if it improves for you. FaceID is very smooth for me. It also appears to be a tad bit quicker with the latest dev beta.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Re-register the feature to see if it improves for you. FaceID is very smooth for me. It also appears to be a tad bit quicker with the latest dev beta.

I’ve redone mine at least 3 times now. First setup was in low light, second was decent light, third was bright light at work. Still hangs up 95% of the time when trying to unlock. I’ll swipe and boom pause it says Face ID then unlocks. Which there was a way to only have Face ID work for apps and purchases. I know I can turn it off for unlocking but then it defaults to the pin which I don’t want either when unlocking

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I’ve redone mine at least 3 times now. First setup was in low light, second was decent light, third was bright light at work. Still hangs up 95% of the time when trying to unlock. I’ll swipe and boom pause it says Face ID then unlocks. Which there was a way to only have Face ID work for apps and purchases. I know I can turn it off for unlocking but then it defaults to the pin which I don’t want either when unlocking

That's a tough one. I've also had good experience with FaceID. In some cases it's a bit slow (i.e. when it's on my desk) but otherwise it works well. When you calibrate/register, are you holding it close or farther away? When I do mine I hold it about arms length where I'd be using it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I understand. With that in mind, I rarely see the “FaceID” logo/image when unlocking my device, but I do see it when paying via Pay on entering my banking app, etc., but I still don’t experience a pause.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
That's a tough one. I've also had good experience with FaceID. In some cases it's a bit slow (i.e. when it's on my desk) but otherwise it works well. When you calibrate/register, are you holding it close or farther away? When I do mine I hold it about arms length where I'd be using it.

I redid mine again this morning keeping it a little farther away....... Still doing the same. I swipe up and it pauses for a second, says face id then unlocks. UGH

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I understand. With that in mind, I rarely see the “FaceID” logo/image when unlocking my device, but I do see it when paying via Pay on entering my banking app, etc., but I still don’t experience a pause.

I wish mine was smooth I may need to slide by apple and have them check it, maybe I'm wanting it to work faster than what its supposed to. But I feel like I shouldn't see the face id unlock pause screen

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My FaceID has been improving as it is learning my face. Maybe try to forget your face and start over?

harrykatsaros

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I’ve had the exact same issue since updating to 11.1.1

Face ID has slowed down for me significantly on the lock screen.

I used to almost never see the Face ID unlock pause screen, now it happens every single time without fail. It’s a 1-2 second delay where that wasn’t occurring before the update.

Last edited:

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I’ve had the exact same issue since updating to 11.1.1

Face ID has slowed down for me significantly on the lock screen.

I used to almost never see the Face ID unlock pause screen, now it happens every single time without fail. It’s a 1-2 second delay where that wasn’t occurring before the update.

I've had this issue since it was new, I was no the phone with a senior tech rep and they set me up an appt with apple in store. Rep said that is not normal

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox