Only thing I’m a bit disappointed in is

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I also think FaceID isn't as fast for things like that, and opening up my passwords app, however for unlocking the phone I don't notice any difference. I'm wondering if it's the animations.

I've noticed using FaceID for authentication on apps takes a couple seconds as well. For unlocking the phone or for Apple based stuff (unlocking Notes, buying apps) it's near instantaneous.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad to know I’m not alone in this. I’ve seen everyone completely praising FaceID as a perfect replacement and I’m like “are we using the same phone”? Lol. It’s good enough. But I’ve definitely had situations where I’m waiting an extra second for two for it to authenticate before being presented with my home screen.

I’m sure the authentication speed will increase and be on par with TouchID soon. As stated earlier, it’s not bad and the extra second or two is not going to harm me or anything. The extra time is noticeable. That’s all.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m sure the authentication speed will increase and be on par with TouchID soon. As stated earlier, it’s not bad and the extra second or two is not going to harm me or anything. The extra time is noticeable. That’s all.

Hope you’re right. Touch ID speed didn’t increase until the 6S introduced the second generation of Touch ID. I’d rather not have to buy a whole new phone to get a better FaceID experience. Though I guess that’s what happens when you’re an early adopter.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I also think FaceID isn't as fast for things like that, and opening up my passwords app, however for unlocking the phone I don't notice any difference. I'm wondering if it's the animations.

At times my lock screen will set and the lock icon will hesitate to change for a second or two before it unlocks me. Not all the time. For the most part it works well. But when it doesn’t I definitely notice simply because Touch ID never gave me issues.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Glad to know I’m not alone in this. I’ve seen everyone completely praising FaceID as a perfect replacement and I’m like “are we using the same phone”? Lol. It’s good enough. But I’ve definitely had situations where I’m waiting an extra second for two for it to authenticate before being presented with my home screen.

I've had no real complaints with FaceID, though I have had a mild learning curve (making sure I'm looking at the screen and have the screen pointed at my face) -- but don't misunderstand, it has worked well for me. It is a tad slower, though it does help if you start swiping up before it unlocks. OTOH, it is far more convenient to use notifications, I can now select the notification and it takes me directly to the app, no more fumbling with TouchID in between.

And this is the same, for me, with apps that use TouchID. For me, I had to wait until the app said to put my thumb on the sensor (or else TouchID often did not work); now it is seamless, the app starts, uses FaceID, and I don't have to do anything; so it is as fast, if not faster for me. Same with Apple Pay, the one time I've used it; I double clicked the power button, FaceID authenticated, and I was ready to pay before the cashier had finished.

To go back to the OP; I found this YouTube video interesting; he did a battery life comparison between the Galaxy Note 8, the OnePlus 5, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X. For those that don't want to watch the video, the iPhone X lasted over half an hour longer than the iPhone 8 Plus (and about 28 minutes longer than the Note 8), and finished second, by 13 minutes, to the OnePlus 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mtiia37kdc&t=1s

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner