Morning/Afternoon all,

A friend of mine has an iPhone X, on T-Mobile, running 11.1 (latest OS).
    When playing (streaming) videos via Netflix or YouTube, the quality is awful. However, if video is received via iMessage or being watched on Hulu, it looks okay, plays properly.

Thus far, we've:
    - restarted the device
    - tested via WIFI only, versus T-Mobile carrier service
    - tested iMessage videos (seems fine)
    - tested via Hulu (seems fine)

Maybe it is a setting or something? Anyone else experience something similar...?

Thanks

PS: asking for a friend, seriously...
    11-07-2017 07:08 AM
    If they are on the network T-mobile throttles video to 480P so where as on an old iphone this may have not looked so bad the newer high res screen makes it look worse, You upgrade to a 720p or 1080 pland i forget which but even that is not longer full resolution on the new iphone X.

Netflix in the app settings you upped the video quality to Higher correct?

and YouTube on iphones will not let you manually change the quality over cellular it goes by your connection speed and carrier throttling. On wifi you can up the video quality all the way to 1440p
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-07-2017 07:45 AM
    Morning/Afternoon all,

A friend of mine has an iPhone X, on T-Mobile, running 11.1 (latest OS).
    When playing (streaming) videos via Netflix or YouTube, the quality is awful. However, if video is received via iMessage or being watched on Hulu, it looks okay, plays properly.

Thus far, we've:
    - restarted the device
    - tested via WIFI only, versus T-Mobile carrier service
    - tested iMessage videos (seems fine)
    - tested via Hulu (seems fine)

Maybe it is a setting or something? Anyone else experience something similar...?

Thanks

PS: asking for a friend, seriously...
    I'm on TMo, and haven't bothered streaming video on cellular b/c I don't pay the extra $10.00 for HD video. On wifi both Netflix and YouTube look good on my X. Just check the settings to make sure highest quality is turned on for both apps.

Do you know what plan your friend is on? If it's one of the plans before TMo started the One plan he/she may still have Binge On. (That's what TMo used to do to give free video streaming for certain apps). That can be turned off on mytmobile or the TMo app. That would give HD access to apps over cellular, but the data would count toward the monthly allotment.

I honestly wish I wouldn't have switched to the One plan. I don't like that HD video is an extra charge now.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-07-2017 09:10 AM
    ...thanks for the info thus far. Here's hoping my friend jumps on this thread shortly (she's on the west coast), and thus can answer some of these questions.

I will add this. She has a Note 8, too. And, doesn't have these issues. So, that is interesting. Albeit, thanks for the points about the various packages from T-Mobile. Seems to me carriers really know how to get customers to pay top dollar for certain service, HD and such...!
    11-07-2017 09:14 AM
    ...thanks for the info thus far. Here's hoping my friend jumps on this thread shortly (she's on the west coast), and thus can answer some of these questions.

I will add this. She has a Note 8, too. And, doesn't have these issues. So, that is interesting. Albeit, thanks for the points about the various packages from T-Mobile. Seems to me carriers really know how to get customers to pay top dollar for certain service, HD and such...!
    If she's used to Samsung there's one other point to consider. Samsung has something called "Enhanced Video" enabled by default. In certain apps this feature punches up color, saturation, and contrast to give video extra oomph . I have an S8+, and I know that Netflix and YouTube both use that feature on Samsung phones. I put my S8+ on the charger this morning because I wanted to compare the X and S8+ displays. I'll report back on what differences I see between the two phones.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-07-2017 09:19 AM
    Ah, brilliant, thanks for doing that. Looking forward to the feedback...

If she's used to Samsung there's one other point to consider. Samsung has something called "Enhanced Video" enabled by default. In certain apps this feature punches up color, saturation, and contrast to give video extra oomph . I have an S8+, and I know that Netflix and YouTube both use that feature on Samsung phones. I put my S8+ on the charger this morning because I wanted to compare the X and S8+ displays. I'll report back on what differences I see between the two phones.
    11-07-2017 09:28 AM
    Sorry it took so long @ivanwi11iams, but I finally got home and tested the S8+ and iPhone X side by side. First let me start by saying the quality was good on both apps on my iPhone on wifi. I honestly didn't test on cellular because I only have one sim to test with. I couldn't use both on cellular at the same time.

So what I did is make sure the settings in each app on both phones were set to the highest quality available.

For the YouTube tests I clicked on the highest resolution available for each video as they started. My results kinda surprised me in some ways, and didn't in others. First I tested a 4k HDR vid with both phones at max brightness. True Tone was on w/ the iPhone. My S8+ had Adaptive Display mode on along with Enhanced video. There honestly wasn't any contest in this scenario. The S8+ gets way brighter than the X, and also the Enhanced Video pushes it beyond it's natural max brightness so videos were just more appealing on the Samsung. The Enhanced Video and Adaptive Mode both add the the saturation and contrast as well. Here's the thing though. After watching a few videos like that the S8+ started hurting my eyes. It was too bright, and just too much in general.
    Then I turned Enhanced Video off dialed down the brightness to where the 2 displays matched (to my eyes), and put the S8+ in Basic Display Mode. The X really stuck out here because the yellows, greens, oranges, and warmer reds on the S8+ were muted compared to the X. It looked like one of those comparison tv commercials showing HDR vs. Non HDR.
    Next test was in AMOLED Cinema Mode on the S8+. In that mode with Enhanced Video off the two phones were really close. The warmer tones and greens again popped more on the X, but the blues and cooler tones looked better on the S8+. It would just depend on what you prefer.

On Netflix I didn't do as much testing. I turned Enhanced Video and Adaptive back on for the S8+. I watched about 15 minutes of Dr. Strange. It just looked better to me on the X than the S8+. Warm tones looked better, skin tones looked a lot better, and the backgrounds just looked more real on the X. The warmer tones really helped there. Finally I decided to try something different and I turned True Tone off on the X. For video I think True Tone almost gets in it's own way. Scenes looked a little more lively with it turned off.

Now I know all that doesn't help your friend much as the content looked good on my X on both apps. All I can suggest is to have her go into the settings of both Netflix and YouTube to make sure she has them set to the highest quality available. I hope she can figure it out!!
    ivanwi11iams and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-07-2017 08:12 PM
    ...this is brilliant info. And, I really appreciate you taking the time to test those two devices.
    Besides the initial issue outlined, I believe your post will also give others insight into Apple and Samsung, from a video and streaming standpoint.

Again, thanks!

Sorry it took so long @ivanwi11iams, but I finally got home and tested the S8+ and iPhone X side by side. First let me start by saying the quality was good on both apps on my iPhone on wifi. I honestly didn't test on cellular because I only have one sim to test with. I couldn't use both on cellular at the same time.

So what I did is make sure the settings in each app on both phones were set to the highest quality available.

For the YouTube tests I clicked on the highest resolution available for each video as they started. My results kinda surprised me in some ways, and didn't in others. First I tested a 4k HDR vid with both phones at max brightness. True Tone was on w/ the iPhone. My S8+ had Adaptive Display mode on along with Enhanced video. There honestly wasn't any contest in this scenario. The S8+ gets way brighter than the X, and also the Enhanced Video pushes it beyond it's natural max brightness so videos were just more appealing on the Samsung. The Enhanced Video and Adaptive Mode both add the the saturation and contrast as well. Here's the thing though. After watching a few videos like that the S8+ started hurting my eyes. It was too bright, and just too much in general.
    Then I turned Enhanced Video off dialed down the brightness to where the 2 displays matched (to my eyes), and put the S8+ in Basic Display Mode. The X really stuck out here because the yellows, greens, oranges, and warmer reds on the S8+ were muted compared to the X. It looked like one of those comparison tv commercials showing HDR vs. Non HDR.
    Next test was in AMOLED Cinema Mode on the S8+. In that mode with Enhanced Video off the two phones were really close. The warmer tones and greens again popped more on the X, but the blues and cooler tones looked better on the S8+. It would just depend on what you prefer.

On Netflix I didn't do as much testing. I turned Enhanced Video and Adaptive back on for the S8+. I watched about 15 minutes of Dr. Strange. It just looked better to me on the X than the S8+. Warm tones looked better, skin tones looked a lot better, and the backgrounds just looked more real on the X. The warmer tones really helped there. Finally I decided to try something different and I turned True Tone off on the X. For video I think True Tone almost gets in it's own way. Scenes looked a little more lively with it turned off.

Now I know all that doesn't help your friend much as the content looked good on my X on both apps. All I can suggest is to have her go into the settings of both Netflix and YouTube to make sure she has them set to the highest quality available. I hope she can figure it out!!
    Just_Me_D and msm0511 like this.
    11-08-2017 07:23 AM
    ...this is brilliant info. And, I really appreciate you taking the time to test those two devices.
    Besides the initial issue outlined, I believe your post will also give others insight into Apple and Samsung, from a video and streaming standpoint.

Again, thanks!
    Anytime my friend!
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-08-2017 07:33 AM