The X is a step backward in gaming, THANKS reviewers :/

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, only The Verge sent out the warning and I really should have heeded it. Apps aren’t optimized for the X which means that games have the screen size of a normal iPhone 8. Some think the X is an iPad, and most have the giant bezels cutting the left and right off.

Huge step backward from the plus as I realize that I’m never getting the size back even if the edges fill in one day.

Every other reviewer out there must be ecstatic about Facebook and mail...great, but totally MISSED the ball on the game reviews.

Ug...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t say you’ll “never” get the screen size back. Apple has always experimented with different size displays. Only Apple knows what next year’s models will bring.
Games look SO much nicer on the OLED display. To me that’s more important than gaining back a fraction of an inch.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well to comment on a non optimized app isn’t worth the space in the review. I’m sure they all mentioned, or should have, that not all apps are optimized yet. We’ll see how it is when they are optimized.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Everything else about the phone I like...but then I open Order and Chaos 2 and let out s huge *sigh*

54052b6b7b24bdf95446cf19fcba58ef.png

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah it's a bit of a shock playing games that aren't yet optimized for the new screen.....on top of being used to the wider Plus screen. Of course I know not everyone has this luxury but mobile games are one of the things I now do more on my iPad anyway. About the only thing I play on the phone any more is Angry Birds 2 even though I have a number of titles installed like the first O&C, monument valley, goat simulator (hilarious if you've never tried it) etc.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I get what the OP is saying. I have launched a few games, but only play the ones that are optimized for the X. It's annoying playing the ones that aren't. But I'm not really all that upset by it. I know it will take time for developers to update their apps. It's just a wait and see situation. It's happened before, and I'm sure it'll happen again where apps aren't properly optimized for a new screen size.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm am a developer, not iOS, but have looked into building an app and the layouts that make multi screen dimensions "just work" are not useful for games because games are normally written to the pixel. iOS developers have it simpler than Android developers because of the limited number of screen configurations but when a new one comes out the developer must have it to target the new device. The simulator Apple provides is helpful but is not the same as a real device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Everything else about the phone I like...but then I open Order and Chaos 2 and let out s huge *sigh*

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171107/54052b6b7b24bdf95446cf19fcba58ef.png

Yea that's just gross. Hopefully more apps start updating to support the X. So far, I haven't done much gaming on my phone. Aside form Altos Adventure and Temple Run 2, which are both updated. As far as apps in general, most of mine have either been updated or have the ability to auto-scale so it hasn't been a huge issue. I do get frustrated when web browsing and putting my phone in horizontal view though.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Apps aren’t optimized for the X

Huge step backward from the plus as I realize that I’m never getting the size back even if the edges fill in one day.

App developers haven't ported their apps over to work on the X, and you state the X is a step backwards? Seems to me that the apps are the issue here, not the X. You just have to let the apps catch up to the new device.

I have a custom built gaming pc that I built myself, which looks much better than any tiny screen on a phone. Perhaps it's time to get something better for your gaming needs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, only The Verge sent out the warning and I really should have heeded it. Apps aren’t optimized for the X which means that games have the screen size of a normal iPhone 8. Some think the X is an iPad, and most have the giant bezels cutting the left and right off.

Every other reviewer out there must be ecstatic about Facebook and mail...great, but totally MISSED the ball on the game reviews.

Ug...

Huge step backwards? Are you kiddin’ me? All that is needed are for apps to be updated to display properly on the iPhone X, and the updates are underway. The same thing happened when the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens on the iPhone appeared.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same. The plus is a wider screen. You loose real estate no matter how you look at it.

With the 4S to 5 transfer the length increased without sacrificing width.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Maybe jump back to an 8+ instead and wait a year since people are speculating that next year there will be a plus size version of the X's successor. The X is basically a successor to the non-plus phones since it's roughly the same size physically.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same. The plus is a wider screen. You loose real estate no matter how you look at it.

With the 4S to 5 transfer the length increased without sacrificing width.

That’s the beauty of options. If something doesn’t work for you, you just don’t choose that option. I️, honestly, never looked at the X as THE flagship Apple device. It was always just another option that was released for the tenth anniversary. Ten is a big year, so they released something special. I️ mean the 8 Plus is available and was just released a little over a month ago. If that works better for you, I️ say go for it. It’s an amazing device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro