Feel the burn! (iPhone X Burn-in)

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Having read the support document by Apple regarding possible burn-in on the screen, does anyone know if setting the wallpaper to perspective or using a live wallpaper will help reduce burn-in on the screen?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. I mean, unless you plan on having your display on 24/7 with that same wallpaper pic, you should be fine, in my opinion.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't be so sure. I was just recently in the market for an OLED TV. Pretty much they are only sold by LG and Sony, and LG makes the panels for Sony. The burn in stories are not good.
I believe that LG also makes these panels for Apple. The burn in is a problem. There have been multiple tests and even after just a few hours, there is burn in.
If you watch the news a lot, there is often a bar at the bottom that shows headlines, etc. That bar tends to burn in since it is static.
Granted phones are not on continuously as long, but you definitely don't need the screen to be on 24/7 to get burn in the OLED.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe that LG also makes these panels for Apple. The burn in is a problem. There have been multiple tests and even after just a few hours, there is burn in.

Apple’s OLED panels are made by Samsung, not LG. There’s a big quality difference between the iPhone X’s display and the plastic garbage they put in the Pixel 2 XL.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Also on the TV's you're probably seeing temporary image retention. This is NOT the same as burn in. Plasma TV's had similar issues though they were significantly reduced by the time production of plasma tv's ended. I've had OLED phones before when I used Android phones though and have never had a burn in problem with them. Just don't leave your screen brightness cranked with the screen set to not shut off and walk away from it for hours. Of course that's not possible with an iPhone anyway unless I'm remembering the settings wrong you can max it at 5 minutes or something like that vs an iPad where you can set it to never turn off.

Places you're most likely to find burn in on a phone would be status bars like where the battery icons live because those are almost always visible but even then depending on the background of the app you're in they toggle from white to black. Unless the mfr. uses a poorly designed and/or built OLED panel though *cough*Pixel 2 XL*cough* there should not be an issue for most users. It's the "edge cases" of people doing things outside of whatever the mfr. considers normal operating parameters that cause problems.

bellamyepl

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't be so sure. I was just recently in the market for an OLED TV. Pretty much they are only sold by LG and Sony, and LG makes the panels for Sony. The burn in stories are not good.
If you watch the news a lot, there is often a bar at the bottom that shows headlines, etc. That bar tends to burn in since it is static.
Granted phones are not on continuously as long, but you definitely don't need the screen to be on 24/7 to get burn in the OLED.

Actually Samsung makes the OLED screen for apple and compared to the OLED in the pixel 2 xl (made by LG) it has been tested thoroughly by Apple. Plus they have tweaked a lot of things so I think they would have tested this quite a bit. Will OLED burn in? Yes I would think at some point but not like a tv bc they are on far longer and usually when you see burn in on tvs it has something to do with a scrolling bar at the top or bottom like espn it something.

That’s just my 2 cents

Update: by the time I posted this 2 other people chimed in and beat me lol. So ignore me saying the same thing they did basically.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site

I don't know where you get your information but this is incorrect. LG makes their own OLED panels Samsung produces their own panels for TVs and phones. Samsung also produces the panels for Apple. Samsung's OLED technology is very good since they have been doing it for a while.

And any and all OLED's experience burn in, the rate just varies. Burn in occurs when certain pixels are illuminated more than others i.e. a static image for long periods, and the pixels are wearing out. That is why the pixel 2 xl is experiencing it only with the nav bar. The iPhone may suffer from this in the form of the "Home indicator bar" it is too early to tell.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Not even a concern for me, I have the display set up for auto lock after 30 seconds and even if burn in becomes and issue later down the road, I also have AppleCare plus, so I will just take it back and exchange it for another unit.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Having read the support document by Apple regarding possible burn-in on the screen, does anyone know if setting the wallpaper to perspective or using a live wallpaper will help reduce burn-in on the screen?

I have used amoled devices in the past and never had an issue. That being said, if you leave your screen on all the time at highest brightness it will show. If you use the phone normal, you probably won't have any issues.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Not trying to be funny, but Samsung TVs are so much better than LG & Sony. That’s all I️ buy & haven’t had an issue with burn in or image retention.

Not even a concern for me, I have the display set up for auto lock after 30 seconds and even if burn in becomes and issue later down the road, I also have AppleCare plus, so I will just take it back and exchange it for another unit.

I’m not worried either. Apple backs their devices plus this issue is totally first world problems🤣

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have used amoled devices in the past and never had an issue. That being said, if you leave your screen on all the time at highest brightness it will show. If you use the phone normal, you probably won't have any issues.

Thanks!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 has an oled screen and I never had issues with burn-in. As long as you're following Apple's recommendations for it you should be fine. If something does happen with the screen then you can take advantage of the warranty. Extended Apple care seems like a no-brainer if you own an X.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My Galaxy S4 has an oled screen and I never had issues with burn-in. As long as you're following Apple's recommendations for it you should be fine. If something does happen with the screen then you can take advantage of the warranty. Extended Apple care seems like a no-brainer if you own an X.

Yup! I don't usually get AppleCare for my phones, but I'm going to with the X because repairs are so expensive!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2