Anyone having iPhone X buyer's remorse?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Not at all. If I paid full price, I might have a little, but then again I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. At this point I think this is a phone I could keep and use for a long time. That is all relative, because I struggle to make it longer than 9 months on a single device, but I think I could double that at least on the X.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. If I paid full price, I might have a little, but then again I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. At this point I think this is a phone I could keep and use for a long time. That is all relative, because I struggle to make it longer than 9 months on a single device, but I think I could double that at least on the X.

It sounds like I'm similar to you. I bought the phone the day it came out but returned it because I just couldn't justify the cost. After getting rid of it, I really missed it. I finally found a deal where I could get $200 off the phone and decided to take it, so I've had the X again for just over a month. I also currently plan to keep the phone for another year -- likely until the iPhone XII (or however they end up naming them) 2019.

Of course, I say I'll hold on to it now... though I'm sure I'll be tempted by the next gen phone, particularly if there are new colors and a similar build quality.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the touch ID - Apple could simply put the sensor on the back of the phone if they are not able to put it on the front. Then users can have the choice of using their face or their fingerprint to unlock the phone. Given that fingerprint sensors are now common even on sub-EUR200 phones, this shouldn't add significant cost.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the touch ID - Apple could simply put the sensor on the back of the phone if they are not able to put it on the front. Then users can have the choice of using their face or their fingerprint to unlock the phone. Given that fingerprint sensors are now common even on sub-EUR200 phones, this shouldn't add significant cost.

While they could, Apple seems to have decided that FaceID is the future. It seems that Apple has no interest in adding a fingerprint sensor any longer.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
While they could, Apple seems to have decided that FaceID is the future. It seems that Apple has no interest in adding a fingerprint sensor any longer.
What of they had to make the phone 1mm thicker to accommodate it being on the back and charged $50 more. Would we all be okay with that? Do you think the masses would?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
What of they had to make the phone 1mm thicker to accommodate it being on the back and charged $50 more. Would we all be okay with that? Do you think the masses would?

I'm likely the wrong person to ask, I don't have an issue with the X not having a fingerprint sensor; FaceID works well for me.

I think Apple could have done it, likely at minimal cost and with little to no thickness added. Samsung flagships are touted as having more features than the iPhone but keep their phones as thin or thinner. The Moto E can be purchased for $100 or less (Verizon sold theirs for $40 last summer) and has a good fingerprint sensor.

I understand people complaining that Apple didn't do it but I'm not sure Apple really cares. They design their phones based on their vision of where the market is going, and don't seem to care if people complain because Apple decided that a headphone jack or fingerprint sensor will become obsolete.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
While I agree that it wouldn't cost them too much to implement I'm sure they'd charge a premium for having both. We'll see but I have no problem with Face ID.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Apple touted the security benefits of going from TouchID to FaceID (less chances per X thousand people of a duplicate face vs finger print). I doubt they will go back on that now, and will only improve the speed of the FaceID tech. Having a FPS on the phone with FaceID would seem to go around the benefits of FaceID if it could be bypassed by a fingerprint. Of course they could combine the two (need to match face and finger). That would seem to be even less chance of some random person matching you, but would also be more cumbersome to use.

If Apple would have put the FPS on the rear of the phone, all the people that complain about it missing on the X would complain it wasn't on the front. Really they are just complaining about change. FaceID seems to be here for the foreseeable future, so we can move on.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Apple touted the security benefits of going from TouchID to FaceID (less chances per X thousand people of a duplicate face vs finger print). I doubt they will go back on that now, and will only improve the speed of the FaceID tech. Having a FPS on the phone with FaceID would seem to go around the benefits of FaceID if it could be bypassed by a fingerprint. Of course they could combine the two (need to match face and finger). That would seem to be even less chance of some random person matching you, but would also be more cumbersome to use.

If Apple would have put the FPS on the rear of the phone, all the people that complain about it missing on the X would complain it wasn't on the front. Really they are just complaining about change. FaceID seems to be here for the foreseeable future, so we can move on.

Why would we "move on"? Other phones still have fingerprint readers. I guess we can move on to them.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Why would we "move on"? Other phones still have fingerprint readers. I guess we can move on to them.

My "move on" statement was specifically about moving on from the fingerprint reader on an iPhone, and complaining about it's absence. I seriously doubt you will have that option on future iPhones, so if that is a deal breaker for you, then you might be more comfortable in something else.

Chances are if you commit to using the FaceID, as in just use it and stop comparing it to TouchID, you will find it acceptable. If that doesn't work for you, you could always use a PIN.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Same here! I previously had a galaxy s8 plus, which is a good phone but to big for every day use for me. Glad you are enjoying!

Yeah I’m coming back to an X from an 8 Plus and it literally to minutes to get back in the flow of things with the gestures and all and the size.

Now the decision on whether to keep the 8 Plus as a “spare” or sell it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner