I just can’t bring myself to leave those apps open!
    nr2d likes this.
    11-05-2017 07:06 PM
    I leave them open usually by the halfway through/ end of day I'll close them.
    11-05-2017 07:13 PM
    I very rarely kill my apps. I let the OS manage it.
    bchain996 likes this.
    11-05-2017 07:19 PM
    What advantages are there to closing them?
    11-05-2017 07:24 PM
    What advantages are there to closing them?
    None. Unless it’s draining battery like Facebook does. Apple specifically says to only close apps if they are causing issues or not working. iOS is built to handle all the apps open all the time.
    Tartarus likes this.
    11-05-2017 07:29 PM
    None. Unless it’s draining battery like Facebook does. Apple specifically says to only close apps if they are causing issues or not working. iOS is built to handle all the apps open all the time.
    That’s what I figured. I’ve never closed any apps in the few years I’ve had an iPhone unless they specifically wouldn’t reopen.
    11-05-2017 07:30 PM
    That’s what I figured. I’ve never closed any apps in the few years I’ve had an iPhone unless they specifically wouldn’t reopen.
    Yeah, and if you close apps too often it’ll actually hurt battery life. All the more reason to just let them be unless they’re problematic.
    Tartarus and bchain996 like this.
    11-05-2017 07:31 PM
    I just can’t bring myself to leave those apps open!
    You’re not alone. I know I don’t need to close out any of my apps, but I still do on occasion. I’m not adamant about it like I used to be....
    11-05-2017 08:11 PM
    I always close all of my apps, but I probably don't need to. Just habit. Facebook kills battery life, though, so I always make sure to close that one.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-05-2017 08:20 PM
    I leave them open, unless it’s an app that is known to drain my battery. I let the iOS manage the apps. It uses more battery to keep opening the apps.
    11-05-2017 08:42 PM
    I rarely remove my apps from multitasking.
    11-05-2017 08:49 PM
    I close all my apps after I finish using them. Just an old habit.
    OmegaPrime85 and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-06-2017 08:31 AM
    I keep Mail and Messages open all the time, but others I tend to close. I know it's not necessary and it's best to let iOS do it's thing, but I don't like going to multi-tasking and having tons of apps open.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-06-2017 08:59 AM
    I close all my apps after I finish using them. Just an old habit.
    Same. And I’m of the mindset that even running in the background they use up the battery.
    So I close out!
    nr2d and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-06-2017 11:16 AM
    I usually close both apps and webpages once every couple of days, particularly if operations seem to be slowing down, which they do on my old kit if I don't do it ! Battery life is not really affected as my iPad is usually plugged in when I do it,and probably when I open an app again.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-06-2017 12:34 PM
    I tend not to close apps, unless I have a lot open. The one exception are things like navigation apps, like Waze, that I have location set to be on even when I'm not using the app; since they are using some extra power, not to mention I don't need them tracking me.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-06-2017 02:19 PM
    Me too, I don’t close app. I let the system manage it as recommended by Apple. Only close up if having problems launching the app. It also drains your battery faster because it’s going to load your app from the beginning all the time.
    robertk328 and Just_Me_D like this.
    11-06-2017 02:25 PM
    I keep it open I heard that you don’t have to force close it.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-06-2017 02:38 PM
    Yeah, and if you close apps too often it’ll actually hurt battery life. All the more reason to just let them be unless they’re problematic.
    Do you close out apps or just leave them minimized?-bingo-sign-89298.gif
    Tartarus and ivanwi11iams like this.
    11-06-2017 08:49 PM
    i keep my apps open at all times(backgroud app refresh OFF) unless they are having issues. it takes more battery to open and close an app..
    11-06-2017 08:58 PM
    I used a Samsung Note 8, for less than 45 days (my return time frame is 45 days, that's how I remember how long I used it), and I often closed apps. Not because the battery was dying or anything, just force of habit, from my old Android days.

In moving to the iPhone X, I've simply carried on that same process. However, I'm seriously thinking of stopping it. No real need, well, unless an app isn't responsive or something...
    11-07-2017 11:48 AM
    I leave them open unless it's something I'm almost never in like I'll open Pinterest once a week maybe just to clear any notifications in it but then I close it after. For whatever reason I close games too when I'm done with them, but I'm not sure if I should be doing that or not. Everything else I leave running, with the exception of Google Photos because I have it set to auto-backup and I don't want it backing up random screenshots and bad pics which it will do if you leave it open. I should probably just disable auto backup for it.
    11-07-2017 05:26 PM
    Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD.
    nr2d likes this.
    11-08-2017 09:07 AM
    Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD.
    Nonsense? I’ll take Apple’s word over all other findings, at all times.

Here is the quote and a link to the article:

Force close an app

When you double-click the Home button, your recently used apps appear. The apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only when it’s unresponsive.

Furthermore, in their article about maximizing battery life, Apple explicitly doesn’t mention force closing an app to save battery life.
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-08-2017 09:26 AM
    Nonsense? I’ll take Apple’s word over all other findings, at all times.

Here is the quote and a link to the article:

Furthermore, in their article about maximizing battery life, Apple explicitly doesn’t mention force closing an app to save battery life.
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
    OK, that's fine and all, but nothing you've quoted said killing apps is bad for the battery, like some posters are intimating in this thread. That's the nonsense and FUD to which I'm referring.
    11-08-2017 09:31 AM
39 12